A serving is WHAT????

Options
13»

Replies

• Skyleen75
    Skyleen75 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oh @suzysunshine99 that is AMAZINGLY stupid!!! I love it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    A quarter of a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Yeah, right. Everyone knows one pint equals one serving.

jv1593dwpq6f.png

I've given up trying to moderate pints of B&J and just don't buy them anymore :disappointed:

No consolation, but the label now says there are three servings per container.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Poptarts. 200 calories each. Who eats just one?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BeeHapppy101
    BeeHapppy101 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    22 servings in a box of cereal. Really. Must be using toddler bowls.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    IMO, the issue with Industrialized countries like the US and UK is that they are so used to huge portions of food that when a reasonable serving size (like those served outside the US) is considered small. There's a reason why other countries who don't have as much industry aren't suffering from weight issues due to the fact that their portions are much smaller. Where we eat off 13" plates, a lot of other countries use 9" plates or smaller as a reference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Three or four asparagus stalks is pathetic. A tiny heap of maybe a dozen green beans is sad.

In home foods, I know I'm an eating preferences outlier, but the frozen broccoli I fall back on for lazy days says a pound (frozen weight) is 5 servings. Nah. That's just a smallish cereal bowl of broccoli, when cooked: One serving.
    I totally agree with that. I use one-third of 750 g bag, i.e. 250 g of frozen broccoli (about 60 Kcal) as a serving/portion and that is barely enough to even be aware that I ate something, despite the label stating that one serving is 85 g. At the beginning of my diet, I used 375 g which was half a bag and that wasn't very much either, but with weightloss also comes a reduction of calories needed, so I have had to adapt. Sometimes I wish I were fat again, 375 g (88 Kcal) would look a lot bigger now.

And don't get me started on a "handful of baby spinach". What is that again? 6 or 7 g? And that is then usually followed by the advice that "you have to learn to throw things away". Hugh?