Christmas is coming up in a few months...

Options
misti777
misti777 Posts: 217 Member
To those who have been on myfitnesspal for some time, what do you guys do around Christmas and Thanksgiving time to avoid over eating?

Replies

• Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I just make sure to fit it into my calories and watch what I eat at the holiday dinners. Some family members always say "You can diet tomorrow".. but that theory is what got me to where I am.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well thankfully I think we'll mostly be alone this year, so it should be easier... but it's going to be tough either way. I know we'll have cookies, pies etc etc... Ugh...
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Go into a "bulk" phase? :laugh:

No, but really, that's where moderation really comes into play. Have a bit of this and that... but log it, work it in or work it off, and remember your why. :wink:
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

That is honestly my plan this year, LOL! Or at least maintenance with a lot of lifting, then start cutting again in January. I am pretty excited, actually :laugh:
  • MissKikiiii
    Options
    I'm so happy to see this. When I started MFP I lost 65 pounds, then these so called jolly holidays came, and they gave me the gift of giving me back 30 pounds that I had lost.

This year, I am determined to NOT let that happen again.

You know why? Because I am a better version of myself. I have learned from my mistake. Because I am going to love myself again.

So yes, please, what are everyones tips?!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am the baker of the family and after seeing the ingredients that go in them I PASS LOl! I do have the treats that are only around that time of year but moderation is Key :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hmmm last year I had just transitioned to maintenance and it felt like SO much food. I logged but I didn't go over my calories. This year I'll probably save up some calories so I can go over.

I generally pick out the things I can only get at Christmas and eat those rather than spending calories on things I can always have. I don't take home leftovers.

At the end of the day though what you eat one day per year is not going to be the deciding factor in whether your plan succeeds or fails. It's the day to day decisions that add up over time, not any one dinner.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I keep logging and work out hard to earn extra calories for cookies.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I eat all the foodz.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

No, but really, that's where moderation really comes into play. Have a bit of this and that... but log it, work it in or work it off, and remember your why. :wink:

^ This. My cut and reverse diet will be over by then, so not a big deal as I plan to eat like there is no tomorrow for a few days.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I eat a little less/exercise a little more the week before and the week after. Not CRAZY less/more, though.
    And enjoy fellowship and food with friends and family.
    Don't log those days. I want to learn to live real life in the real world by myself and that means there will be days I can't/don't log, but still make good choices. Hopefully.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    This is starting already?

I eat all the food.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I made it through the holidays last year, enjoying all my favorite goodies, without gaining a pound. :bigsmile:

As other have said, plan for it, fit things into your goals, and if you got over a bit with an extra cookie or slice of pie, just log it and move on - don't go crazy and figure once you're over, you can just keep eating. :tongue:

My biggest freedom last year (and since I started eating the way I do) came from knowing my calorie limits - I know my BMR and my TDEE, and even though goal at the time was 20% less than TDEE, I knew I could eat all the way to TDEE and not have to worry about gaining. I didn't do that every day, but it happened more than once, and all my clothes still fit the same on January 2nd.

I follow the info and tools linked in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat. And enjoy every bite.
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I live off of sushi rice, animal protein, frozen vegetables and soba noodles all year. So I eat whatever the hell i want lol.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the bulking!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    On the actual holiday DAY, I eat what I want. During the holiday SEASON, I stick with my normal routine - if it fits in my calories it's all good. Actual holiDAYS don't come around that often. Just enjoy the day but go right back to your normal routine when the day is over.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^ This. My cut and reverse diet will be over by then, so not a big deal as I plan to eat like there is no tomorrow for a few days.

I'm Joining you!!!! :drinker:
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    I live alone and have no real friends and family in the area. My diet will not change.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A little early for the holiday stress threads, no?

Answer to OP: I eat ridiculous amounts of food, that's how I deal with'em.