Christmas is coming up in a few months...

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I eat all the foodz.
    This is starting already?

I eat all the food.
    I don't give a single *kitten* about calories and enjoy myself with friends and family.

Life is too short to care about calories a couple of days a year.
    tumblr_m3xijzfdCa1qkyefy.gif
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    MORE WALKING to earn my prize !
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This will be my first holiday since going gluten free, so I'm more worried about how I'll make it through without getting sick than anything else...

That being said, it's all about small portions. Take a little bit of everything, but keep it to just a little bit. Or prioritize the stuff you really love and ignore the rest. Then go work it off later. Also, remember that you don't HAVE to eat every cookie put on the table at an office party and indulge in everything. Most of the time I don't think it's really even worth it anyway - they're rarely as tasty as they look and I usually end up regretting wasting the calories. I've learned to stick with the things that I know are good and then sit and sip a cup of coffee while everybody else stuffs themselves silly on the other crap. Since going gluten free and having to do this to prevent getting sick (rather than just by choice), I've realized how little I really need some of that junk, and how much I'd rather save it for the really good stuff. If you don't stuff yourself at every party and gathering and with every gift basket that comes your way, then the actual holidays are only 2-3 days worth of overeating, and that's easily overcome with being mindful the rest of the time and working out before or after.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    But...it is August.
  • moritadonovan
    Options
    I plan on using small plates 'cake plate' for serving size :oD
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Try to walk early in the morning, have dinner, and spend time w/ family, and try to walk again.. This way you have burned some cals off... It is hard because everyone cooks differently, w/ butter, bacon fats etc, just be watchful of how food has been prepared. If you go over board a little bit, who cares, it is only two days (Thanksgiving, x mas) enjoy, but don't OVER do it.....
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I think as everyone says in moderation. I will have some of what I want, Christmas will be one or two days. I've just had two weeks of Christmas like food and it hasn't harmed me. Instead of having the 10 Cadbury's Roses chocolates I'd have had two years ago, I'll have maybe two lol.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I don't believe I've ever gained much of anything over the holidays... but I have a fairly small stomach capacity so I just fill up my plate only once. And I don't like pie.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Last year I just allocated 3 days when I didn't log, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day and kept to deficit calories inbetween. The biggest difference now is that I can't comfortably eat as much as I used to anyway and I decided to choose what I wanted most rather than having a bit of everything - which soon mounts up. I'm not that bothered about nibbles and kept drinking to a reasonable level. Breezed it at weigh in after by staying the same - which I really don't think bad for Christmas!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda grateful i have Gallstones to keep me on track! lol
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Just because there are goodies around doesn't mean you have to eat them all in one sitting. Moderation is key. Increase exercise, too, to counteract some of the effects.

On big food laden holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, I try and not go over my daily calorie limit by more than 50%. And I let the "new me" make my choices instead of the "old me." I'll ask myself, "Would you rather have this or that?," opting for just one instead of both temptations.

Doing this cuts my "could be" calories by 50%. Choosing one item instead of eating all four in front of you cuts your calories by 75%. It's up to you and you alone.

Good luck!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    OP work into your meal plan the things you want to eat and avoid the things you don't.

Easier said than done in some cases....don't stress if you go over just factor the overage and adjust. :wink:

Happy Holidays.
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    I just don't log. We will be staying with my in-laws in Poland so will just try to stick to everything in moderation the best that I can - which is not always possible with my mother and grandmother in law practically shoving food in my mouth lol.

I just deal with it, we only see them once a year, it's a holiday, and the extra fat will keep me warm in the snow :bigsmile:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. i'm not terribly worried but..

The thing is is that last year, I can't gained like 15 pounds or something like that. :/ I went from being nearly right where I wanted to be, to being pretty chunky. I was about 145-150 and then i was 165 when the season was over. It was really depressing. We brought home too many leftovers last time. I guess i'll just keep everything in moderation. But food is like everywhere at my grandmas house during the holidays. Maybe I will bring something to do to distract myself, because I have serious control issues. Last year I felt sick to my stomach after eating. But i'm not that stressed, I was just thinking about it in passing mostly. When the times comes, I should be fine. I just have to practice control until then and I should be fine.

Great. Leave it at Grandma's house! And if you have issues controlling your portions, always use the small plate and don't overload it. You can always go back for more if you're still hungry.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    Last year I gave myself two weeks off for Christmas. 8 months later I had put back on all the weight I had lost and am now restarting all over again..

This year I get no break. everything has to be within my calories. It may mean I need to work out more to enjoy the extra treats and eat back more of my exercise calories than I normally do but no two week free for all thats for damn well sure!
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think I'll really regret it if I don't indulge in the Christmas deliciousness so I will indulge... just not too heavily.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day each week and last year I made my cheat days on the days I had Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers. Actually I had 2 cheat days at Thanksgiving and 3 at Christmas because we ate at different places on different days. Afterward I went back to eating my 1200 calories a day and I kept right on losing. I'm on maintainence now and I plan to handle the holidays just like I did last year.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda grateful i have Gallstones to keep me on track! lol

You poor thing! I had my gallbladder removed in May because of gallstones. I feel for you.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Last year when Thanksgiving and Christmas came I was pretty close to my goal weight and was running on the treadmill and doing alot of cardio. I had a great time and did not log my calories on that day. but I was back in the gym the next day. I gained back my weight when I did not go to the gym for 12 weks or so (May till a few weeks ago)

Oh and I stopped using MFP! LOL . I guess if you make exercise part of your life a week off for a vacation or a holiday weekend will not even be a bump in your progress. I found when I hit 40 exercise and diet became a must!
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I'm in the UK and we don't do Thanksgiving.

At Christmas I'm back home and my mum cooks all the yummy food I never get to eat 'cos I'm too lazy and hopeless at cooking.

I eats all the food, and prepare to work out more January (I love exercise anyway).

The past two years this strategy has worked. It may fail this Christmas as I am already in maintenance and getting quite slack. The challenge this year will be to eat intuitively (i.e. stop when full) and enjoy the season fully for the many reasons we celebrate.