Just keep hiking

Options

Replies

• antonyshow
    antonyshow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @TamiVsTheTrail I’m excited to find this group where you’re documenting your hiking goal. I’ve recently started with goal of hiking. I live by the continental divide trail CDT at high elevation. wktwgfbix2j5.jpeg
    I do day walks/hiking around the area but I’m working on a long term goal of hiking the CDT. I’m going to start reading your entire thread but would love to learn more about hiking such as how you prepare, what equipment you use and how you pick your hikes. Best wishes for great fall weather so you can continue your hiking goal!

good thing you're working towards your goal of climbing the CDT! This is a beautiful route that has a lot to offer.
  • ITVGuy2000
    ITVGuy2000 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Pictures. I love hiking too.
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @SheMountainWalker Love the picture! Please keep updating with your hikes, looks like a beautiful area. Where is the CDT?
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've been needing to use my cane basically full-time the past couple of months, so forced break for me 😢 Not sure if this is finally the point where I need to start looking at surgery if I want to get back on my feet, but in the meantime I'll be living vicariously through everyone's pictures on here.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Love your pics. Haven't been on any big hikes in a couple months here, the grizzly bears never seem to go to sleep and are still wandering around. I did do a 5K turkey trot just to help keep in shape and "earn" my Thanksgiving dinner. Your pics make me want to get out and stretch my legs on a trail!
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had planned on ending the year on the same hike as I began, looking out on those beautiful snowy mountains and lake but snow is definitely lacking up here right now and I had to accept my final hike of the year would be a soggy one.
    I did make up for it two days later with a walk around the seawall at Stanley Park. While not a hike it was a beautiful morning, getting to the city at sunrise and enjoying a 10K walk.

Here's how the year ended.
    150 hikes totaling over 1200KM
    Equivalent of over 14,600 flights of stairs
    Over 14,000 Garmin Intensity minutes
    Down 44 pounds
    Down 2 sizes

I could beat myself up for gaining back 6 pounds in November and December and not holding onto the 50 pounds I had lost but there's not a chance I'm going to do that. I did it, I hiked 150 hikes and I'm celebrating the hell out of that.

If anyone wants to see the complete collage of the photos from my hikes they can look at in on Tiktok, Tamivstrail

So now I need a new goal for this year. Obviously I want to keep hiking, I can't imagine just stopping and I have some one my bucket list that need to get a check mark next to them. I've also wanted to run a half marathon and had that on my list way too long so here we go, this years goals.

15,000 Garmin intensity minutes
    Run first half marathon in November
    Lose 40 pounds
    Drop 2 sizes

I know a lot of my workouts will still come from hiking so I'm going to keep this discussion going. Thank you everyone who shared their photos and thoughts along the way, I'm excited to see what adventures 2024 brings!
    dcc3v3epina6.jpg
    zsgusk6tm9sc.jpg
    gbzxdgf8syoj.jpg
    lvwazdi8j2x7.jpg
    7hzqgvthxbqj.jpg
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing!
  • StopWishingStartDoing365
    Options
    Tami, I have been enjoying your photos and stories! I'm in the Fraser Valley, so I have been able to do some of these hikes too. In my area, I like Elk Mountain in Chilliwack and Harrison Grind overlooking Harrison Lake.
    Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!
  • LilithReigns
    LilithReigns Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ahhh I am so excited I found this post. I too decided to stop making excuses and start doing the hikes I have always wanted to do. I have Ohio, Kentucky, and IL trips planned for this summer. I started last spring all the way through fall of 2023 and some of winter going to local spots in IN. I have found strength, joy, peace, and motivation in doing this. I would love to post pictures which I might do after work. If anyone would like to friend me please do and we can swap travel pictures and chat about our adventures. Solo Hiker here <3
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Out and about for my "local hike" several times the past week during the ice storm. Each day there would be more trees down across the River Path. It will be a while before they get that cleaned up.

oaxbfl8ops28.jpg

sp8sa9qzheu3.jpg
  • 007eiram
    007eiram Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tami I am so excited I found your post. It has truly inspired me. I am from New Zealand. I walked our local bush with my dog and friends in younger days and thought my tramping days were over. I am now inspired to drop all the excuses and set mini goals to reconnect with nature. I look forward to reading the threads to your post.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    edited February 23
    Options
    I went to visit a friend yesterday and did a hike by his house about 8.3 miles with about 1560 feet of elevation gain. Some nice views. Saw some nice birds. Mostly gravel roads, but some trails. My friend also pointed out some other trails and where they went.

He's been exploring this area since the early or mid '90s. It's the reason he bought the property he lives, and now that he's retired, he can hike around there (and bike) often. When I buy a gravel bike, I'll look forward to getting out there and checking that out too.

Part of the trail is on private industrial forest, and part is on a university research forest.

He said this is his go-to hike/bike trail. Sweet!

Then he gave me some more duck eggs. I'm about to braise one or two of them for breakfast.

vaq0wrt549on.png

zxtwb49pirzs.jpg

sggr003a7mef.jpg

dlp8s2lb4m9p.jpg

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!