Just keep hiking

Options
1234568»

Replies

• enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot - I'm surprised you encountered that many people at this time of year. We did the "Trail of Ten Falls" this past September on a Sunday and it was jammed pack. Unfortunately, it was the only day we had available since we were also going to see friends who lived nearby in Silverton that day. Other than all the people, the park was beautiful, facilities were nice and the hiking was nice and moderate after having done some strenuous hikes the couple weeks before in Olympia, Rainier and Mt. Hood areas.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Oregon, hiked the Silver Falls trails just about every year. @mtaratoot I recognized the falls in your pictures before I read your post, now I want to hike it again next time I go home. I love the trails were I am now, but always a good idea to have a friend or 2 along, and a dog, to keep our eyes out for our Kodiak grizzly bears. @sammcc7907, not sure whether I'd like to run into a bear here, or your snakes and dingos!
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have really enjoyed reading through this thread and it's getting me excited to do some more hiking myself. I am in Minnesota and have done several miles of the Superior Trail, but not all of it. Thank you for inspiring me to get back out there!!
  • sammcc7907
    sammcc7907 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    I grew up in Oregon, hiked the Silver Falls trails just about every year. @mtaratoot I recognized the falls in your pictures before I read your post, now I want to hike it again next time I go home. I love the trails were I am now, but always a good idea to have a friend or 2 along, and a dog, to keep our eyes out for our Kodiak grizzly bears. @sammcc7907, not sure whether I'd like to run into a bear here, or your snakes and dingos!
    Eek, snakes and dingos any day over bears

• TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @sammcc7907 Love the backpack! What a great view. No dingos here but definitely bears and cougars, I've only run into a couple of bears. The snakes are harmless, I think your snakes would point and laugh at ours.
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    @mtaratoot Looks like a great place to get out and explore! Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Back to Silver Falls yesterday because it was a gorgeous day, and it was a Tuesday.

Oh my - it was even more crowded than a few weeks ago on a Friday! The Parks Department used to be a branch of the Highway Department. It felt like I was on a state highway a bit today, what with so many people out on a beautiful day. I am glad it's not a weekend. Next time I go, maybe I'll wait for a nasty, rainy day...

I kept catching up to people and passing them. Funny too - some people had stopped to rest or take a picture or whatever, and when they saw me coming, would start hiking again... slowly. Instead of just letting me go past. I apparently walk fast. Nobody passed me, but I kept passing other people.

I made the decision to hike up to the rim when I got to the Winter Falls trail and then hike the Rim Trail in the opposite direction that most people do, then hike back down into the canyon at North Falls and hike counter to most people. This meant I would see everyone who was out, but it would be a shorter interaction. It was fun to pass people I had already passed, and I wondered if they recognized me and wondered what happened.... By doing the hike this way, and then hiking back out on a different steep trail I hadn't taken before, I turned the 7.2 mile trail into a 10.1 mile hike with about 1400 feet of climbing.

wo4yzmcqb35r.jpg
    ufp0o64shnvj.jpg
    4deoijf0dtsq.jpg
    14ulfsj6ooyu.jpg
    pc220c8sm8xy.jpg
    xu295so01z85.jpg
    84n5z84jvl32.jpg
    jrg9zlog403t.jpg
    0jh5ixy2ydi1.jpg

• TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    @mtaratoot What a great collection of pictures! You've really covered a lot of different terrain, love it!
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    I love seeing other people post their photos and hiking adventures here. I've been part of other hiking posts, discussions and I always seem to run into the hikers that like to prove that they are the better, more skilled, more experienced hiker. I really want anyone to feel welcome here and post, whether it's your first outing of 50 meters from the car to the waterfall or you're doing overnight adventures. I will be your cheerleader and celebrate your success!

Me, I'm 60 years old (still not used to admitting to leaving my 50s), I'm a size 14 and yesterday I ran my longest ever trail run of 16KM (ok, I lie it was 15.83KM, sorry for exaggerating).
    Yesterday when I announced to my husband I was going on the run he was a tad nervous for me but something my MIL used to always say came spilling out of my mouth, "Well I'm not going to do it any younger."

The first 4KM I was flying, the air was cool, I had this. Then hills. Oh so many hills. Then oh, it's spring so running streams to cross, then more hills and finally the beach. On the way back I got a groin cramp and had to slow for awhile to walk it off while questioning my life choices. As I started running it was obvious someone had added more hills while I was at the beach. Finally I hit the flat stretch, the last two KM would be nothing but flat open trail, and then bam, one more hill I had forgotten about. Back in the car, I sat for a few minutes and celebrated, I did it! My goal was to come in under 3 hours. My goal for my first half marathon later this year is 3 hours, it's pretty flat so I knew if I could do this run in that timeframe it would be realistic to reach my goal.
    Obviously you can see, I nailed it.
    pxr69navggvx.jpg
    fy83ymg0l9uc.jpg
    oxuyncw7me4m.jpg
    yndw1m9vxqaa.jpg

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    @TamiVsTheTrail

You've got some gorgeous stuff there too. I see sword fern. I think I see hemlcok. I know I see Doug-fir. I see tall mountains... I have two guesses. Sounds like a nice run, and wow oh wow what a place to do it!

My "hike" today was just up to the tavern for a pint with friend, but I also got out under my flowering cherry tree (Sakura) today to have a little Hanami (celebration of the blossoms) with some sake.

stdpukekpmwy.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!