December 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    .....Now, @AlphaHowls probably could aspire to that. Great job getting in your run when you weren't feeling it. Hang in there. You're almost done with celebrations.

I did that last year and year before running one marathon a month, this year I have only done 5, just never enough time.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment about my driveway @martaindale . Another great run in the books for you. Funny about your DH and how our bodies adapt to different weather conditions/climates.

@eleanorhawkins I looked after I added my miles today and saw that we were back on land and headed your way. We are 6 miles behind though. I'm looking forward to mince pies, ham, and sherry! Sounds like a great New Year's Eve feast to me.

@AlphaHowls I'm amazed that you have time for a HM every day!

I did make it into work ok, even though it was still below freezing when I left, so the snow/ice was still on my driveway. The temp got up to 51F (10.6C) today, so some of it melted, but there is still enough to get me in trouble if I'm not careful. Hopefully it will all melt away tomorrow or the next day since we're supposed to stay above the freezing mark for a few days after about 9 am tomorrow.
    tfcnidc2mdgr.jpg
    My driveway after I got home last night.

After I got home from work, I did a treadmill session. Didn't really feel like doing a lot, but I did run one mile without stopping - did 3/3 minutes at 4.5/4.2 mph and walked a total of 1 mile for warm up and cool down at 3.8 mph. My average HR was 137 with a max of 148 bpm during the run. I do think that is a bit higher than it should be for the effort.

64/70 mile goal
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    ok good question for the month... we have some already but what is your favorite mantra/saying/song that keeps you going thru the hard miles or across the finish line?

Mine was always 'one foot in front of the other, just keep putting one foot in front of the other'

Also I have the Dory song stuck in my head now - thanks @martaindale 😂

@tarun_yadavA - I can tell by the foodie pictures that you live by the adage of running to eat! The cheese boards look wonderful BTW - I love cheese, probably more than sweets. I also can't imagine running a Marathon every day. I am amazed he has been able to do that and not get injured but I guess you just build up to it and build that tolerance too... also who has that kind of time every day?
    @quilteryoyo - I am so glad everyone is safe with the icy conditions on your driveway! So scary!
    About the Hobbes card. He also hates having his paws messed with and will pull them away, even though I made a point of messing with them since he was small so that he would be less sensitive. I have an awful time with his nails as a result. For the picture I laid everything out in the garage and Dh helped hold him and give him treats while I quickly put the paint (non-toxic, washable kids paint) on his foot with a sponge and pressed it on the paper. Afterwards we washed the paint off with baby wipes. He was actually pretty good about it all.
    @AlphaHowls - love the purple people eater! I remember the calculations that were done about how many laps were needed to get in the miles you do... it was a crazy amount!
    @Scott6255 - fantastic job hitting 1600 miles for the year! My best year was 2015 when I went over 1500 miles but haven't been close really since then.
    @eleanorhawkins - I know it is winter and all, but how about some sangria?

Glad to see the the middle and eastern US is warming up a bit, maybe a lot. Just a warning though that the big rain storm we had yesterday and last night is now heading your way and we have another one hitting on Friday. Not sure it it will bring you all more cold and snow or if it will bring rain but it sure looks like it is heading across the country again. Good news for us is 1) we got rain and snow in the mountains - lots of it! and 2) the hot temps are non and we are back to more reasonable mid-high 50's.

I got a run walk in today. I hurt my back somehow, well, actually think I can blame this one on Hobbes the last time we ran. I use a waist leash and he stopped suddenly which yanked and twisted me. It hurt a bit at the time but didn't think much of it but my back has been sore since then. Today I was testing to see what it would tolerate. The normal tension from the leash around my waist, while he wasn't pulling at all, was aggravating, so I took it off and looped it over my shoulder and across my body. It really helped. When my back started talking I would walk more and as we were coming home I could tell it was really tired. I had planned to get out tomorrow but I am going to a play in DTLA and have to leave before lunch. DH is worried about me sitting for 2 hours to get there, 2.5 of the show and another 2+ to get home. I convinced one of my friends to drive so worse case I will lie down in the back seat. Even if I get in runs on Friday and Saturday this will be my lowest month for the year and I definitely won't make my monthly or yearly goal although I am closer on my yearly goal than expected.

Have you all thought of running/workout goals for next year? In the past we have stated out goals in January and then the next January we review and set new goals...

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    what is your favorite mantra/saying/song that keeps you going thru the hard miles or across the finish line?

When I first started running: "don't stop"
    "never give up"
    "one more mile"
    Any Christian song

this dude was staring at me today!
    70nxkcesjy14.jpg
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Morning all.
    Got in another 12K!
    I know I'm fueling on cr*p... But starting to feel a bit stiff so may take an off-day soon!
    7kfcyzh78ec6.png
  • Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Kilometer.

[/quote]
    shanaber wrote: »
    ok good question for the month... we have some already but what is your favorite mantra/saying/song that keeps you going thru the hard miles or across the finish line?

I usually go through my own abbreviated version of this quote from Born to Run. This helps me get out of my headspace and focus a bit on my technique.

“Think Easy, Light, Smooth, and Fast. You start with easy because if that’s all you get, that’s not so bad. Then work on light. Make it effortless, like you don’t give a *kitten* how high the hill is or how far you’ve got to go. When you’ve practiced that so long that you forget you’re practicing, you work on making it smooooooth. You won’t have to worry about the last one – you get those three, and you’ll be fast.”

If that doesn’t work - I try either positive or negative self-talk. An example of positive would be something like: “You are a strong and powerful woman.” Negative self-talk is more like, “Don’t be a wimp :).”

If I am really in a dark place then I have to coax myself with a small goal or compromise to make it to the next kilometer.

Yesterday I got in another 10k, bringing my monthly total to 127.4 km. I am doing a New Year’s Eve 10k on Saturday and plan for a 3 km warm up. So, as long as I get in a nice and easy 10k tomorrow, I will reach my goal of 150 km. I haven’t raced a 10k in years and the weather will be very windy and unusually warm. I am hoping to finish in under an hour, which I have been able to do in training runs before I got sick. Fingers crossed that I can achieve this goal. I’ll let you know how it goes. Apparently the prize for all the finishers is a German sausage upon crossing the finish line. That’s not usually what I feel like after a race, but we’ll see…

@shanaber ... Me. Accurate.
    gedg1pbh0ked.png

That’s me too (again if you substitute cheese for other unhealthy stuff). That’s why I didn’t get a run in today. I was not feeling up to it due to the shenanigans of last night.

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes on my back pain. It is doing better just not quite there yet. I decided to get outside for a run today anyway. After the artic temperatures, it warmed up nicely today. The sun was shining and it was 59F when I ran this afternoon. The sunshine felt so good! It wasn’t pretty but I managed to get 5 miles in bringing me to almost 70 miles for the month.

RTW – We are officially in Spain and around 150 miles from @eleanorhawkins! Are we going to make it??? In any event, get the sangrias ready!

Question of the month – when I’m struggling my mantra is counting breathing/steps. In, one, two, three…Out, one, two, three…Sometimes I only make it to the two count.

@kgirlhart – Glad you didn’t need surgery right now and I hope that everything works out so that you don’t need it at all. It’s a shame that we stress so much over insurance and medical coverage here in the US.

@martaindale – Are you running in costume(s) for any of your Dopey races?

@quilteryoyo – Sorry you had trouble on your driveway. I had heard that there was black ice that morning so that’s probably why you slid so much. I love that your mom told you not to go to work if it was slippery like that again! I can just imagine you calling the day care and telling them that you can’t come in because your mom won’t let you drive.

@Laurz9191 – Good luck with your 10K race. I agree that the German sausage doesn’t sound like a post-race reward!

Great year of running @Scott6255 – glad you stayed healthy all year long.

@summerskier – Congrats on hitting 1500 miles. That’s quite an accomplishment!

@shanaber – Sorry you are suffering from back pain as well.

I know I didn’t mention everyone but I’ve read and gave a lot of likes because each of you deserve them!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,101 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I went down for a treadmill wun this morning. I did a walk/run of 3/2 minutes at 3.8/4.5 mph. Went 2 miles in 29:46 min for a 4.0 mph avg pace. My Avg HR was 108 and max was 124 bpm.

Medical stuff in the spoiler, if you are interested.
    I want to update you on my breathing issues. I have been having episodes again of being short of breath with little exertion. It comes and goes, so didn't think a lot about it. But, over the last couple of weeks it has gotten worse. I decided to make a doctor's appointment and was able to get in to see my primary care before lunch today. (I saw the Mrs of my husband-wife doctor team today...I usually see Mr. ) Anyway, after talking to her and showing her a couple of "unclassified" EKG's I had taken with my KardiaMobile device, she believes I am having episodes of some sort of irregular heart beat. (Could be PVC's and PAC's again.) She doesn't think it is "dangerous." She sent me for bloodwork, a chest x-ray, and EKG at the local outpatient clinic, set me up for a 3 day Holter Monitor which I get on Tuesday, and called my cardiologist to move my appointment up from April to Jan 31st. She called me later, as soon as she got some of the results, to let me know so far everything was coming back normal - magnesium levels, electorlytes, EKG (I think), other blood work, and chest x-ray. My calcium was a little elevated, but that has been an ongoing issue with me. So, we'll see what the Holter Monitor shows...hopefully it will pick up what is going on. She just wants me to continue to try to catch an event on the KardiaMobile App. I see Mr. T on Tuesday afternoon as a follow up to get the rest of the results and see if I had any episodes over the weekend. I feel better, knowing that I have something in the works to figure it out.

@shanaber Glad Hobbes did good with making the Christmas Paw card. It would definitely take two people with Tippy...maybe more. Good job with the walk. Hope your back is feeling better and you enjoyed the play. As for the weather, here it is supposed to still be in the 60Fs, so rain.

@AlphaHowls Love your mantras. Looks like that bird was trying to see what you were doing.....looks like it was NOT crazy laps!

Great injury free running @Scott6255 ! Like your mantra too. I tend to use that strategy a lot.

@kgirlhart I think I missed that you had a lump you were concerned about. I also tend to second guess myself of decisions like that, but sounds like you made the correct one for you. My driveway is completely clear today. Getting up to 62F (16.7C) will do that.

Another great crap fueled run @tarun_yadavA . Love the new shoes. Happy Anniversary!

@eleanorhawkins Mine is going to go on until 12 Jan. The assisted living had to cancel their Christmas lunch with the residents, so are having a New Year Celebration on 12 Jan. Maybe after that I can get back to better eating most days. Happy Birthday!

Good luck on your 10k @Laurz9191 !

@Teresa502 Glad your back was feeling better, if not perfect.
    Teresa502 wrote: »

@quilteryoyo – Sorry you had trouble on your driveway. I had heard that there was black ice that morning so that’s probably why you slid so much. I love that your mom told you not to go to work if it was slippery like that again! I can just imagine you calling the day care and telling them that you can’t come in because your mom won’t let you drive.
    Hahaha They would think it was funny.

I just looked and we are now only 8 miles behind. If we keep that trend, we could all just do an extra quarter mile on Saturday and get it done!

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    December Goal: 100 Miles

12/1: 5.26 miles
    12/4: 11.01 miles
    12/5: 5.15 miles
    12/6: 5.26 miles
    12/8: 5.51 miles
    12/10:1.01 miles (warm-up)
    12/10: 3.25 miles (Wags and Wiskers 5K) - 1st place overall female
    12/11: 6.25 miles
    12/12: 5.26 miles
    12/14: 5.26 miles
    12/15: 5.50 miles
    12/17: 10.10 miles
    12/20: 6.02 miles
    12/21: 5.26 miles
    12/22: 4.27 miles
    12/24: 6.21 miles
    12/26: 7.01 miles
    12/27: 5.26 miles
    12/28: 3.51 miles
    12/29: 5.15 miles

111.5/100 miles completed for December

Thanks @teresa502 and @quilteryoyo.

The weather was perfect this morning at 55°F. I ran 5 miles. It was really nice out. I saw a woman running with her dog, and 3 deer at the park.

exercise.png