Less Alcohol ~ DECEMBER 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    @Lilylady3k

Much easier for you when DH is also abstaining.
    Could this be the new normal?
    How are you both feeling physically and emotionally (and mentally) with so many AF days in a row?

@dawnbgethealthy - We will see how it goes. It is always easier for me when DH stays away from the alcohol too. I asked if he wanted steak or chili tonight and he said he would love a steak but that is a trigger for him to go buy a bottle of red wine. So he asked if I could make the chili so he can keep his streak going a little longer.
    Neither of us is sleeping well these days. Either going to bed early and or waking up early and periodically throughout the night. But the waking up is probably from coughing at night when laying down even though I've tried cough meds. Lingering cough.
  • mfowler883
    mfowler883 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    @mfowler883 Lagunitas has the best NA IPA that I've found so far. I find it satisfying, although I agree with you that it's missing key flavor elements. Let me know if you find one that's better.

So the first bottle, I tried in a Spiegelau glass, which would be my usual go-to glass for an IPA, and I had it by itself, not with a meal. I tried another bottle last night, with dinner and in a Duvel tulip instead. The tulip really helped to bring the aromas out as I was drinking, and I found it more enjoyable in the context of drinking it with food.
    Made it to 7 AF days of Christmas and on the 8th day I bought a 10% alcohol champagne that was really great.My wine devil made a deal with me that I would have half and given it is "lower" alcohol, I could get away with it. Nope, whole thing gone in under 3 hours. Wine devil can never be trusted!

I was buying a ~5%-ish wine for a while, thought similarly that being less alcohol content, I could get away with it. Nope, I found myself drinking absurd amounts of it. I'm not remotely as snobby about wine as I am with beer or coffee, so it really didn't matter that it wasn't a particularly good wine. 10:30 in the morning, walk past my "bar" (the top of a shipping crate that occupies various corners of my studio/office) and be like, hmmmmmmmm daddy needs a glass of wine...

O_o

-m
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    8 days AF;1 day A
    I have the Mrs. Santa job so this weekend is my 48 hr. shopping event and then I call it done.
  • mfowler883
    mfowler883 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    12/9: Both the beer (Sierra Nevada Big Little Thing IPA) and the wine (J. Lohr cabernet) were delicious.
    I've always liked Sierra Nevada's offerings, every winter I look forward to spotting Bigfoot on the shelves again. My homebrew quads come out pretty good but barleywines are hard to pull off well, so I turn to Real Ale Sisyphus or Sierra Nevada Bigfoot most of the time. I haven't seen Big Little Thing, looking it up.....WOW. OK, I'm going to watch for that one next time I'm looking for beer.
    @mfowler I've been drinking the Lagunitas NA from the tulip glass because it's my favorite shape for a beer glass. :wink:
    Yeah, the tulip is a good all around glass for most beers. I have a collection of glasses, mostly branded, like the usual Guinness pint, Chimay goblet, Stella, Duvel, a few older ones I've found in estate sales and secondhand stores like a vintage Bud flute and an unusual Elephant glass, but also some standards like no-nicks, weizens and pilsners. So many people just don't realize how big a difference the right glass makes, the wrong glass can turn a great brew into a boring swill.

I'm stuck. I weighed in at 180 and change again today. I think I need to change up the way I'm eating and try to structure my workouts a little better. Most days I wind up just doing whatever I feel like, and I know that isn't the most productive approach. I've been eating mostly good choices but probably need to increase my calorie intake. That's actually going to be a challenge, I've gotten used to really limiting portions and not grazing. I mixed up breakfast today, used actual sausage and added guac for a burrito. I can't help thinking if I increase my intake, I'll gain right away, then begin a slower loss pattern. I need to be okay with that, but it's a little demoralizing after slamming through the first forty pounds.

I expect today to be AF. Going to grab some materials and build a rack for my dumbbells, I think. They're all just sitting on the floor for now.

-m