Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 210

Options

Replies

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,806 Member
    Options
    @SheilaBoneham Your tip about the after dinner bouillon is a great idea. I will try that next time. I also am trying to make sure I get in enough protein and fiber (35g protein/5g fiber each meal) plus a snack early in the day so that I'm not starving later in the day. I have noticed that on the nights that I'm extra hungry is all about not getting in enough protein/fiber earlier in the day.

@SheliaBoneham and @RockinRobyn672 I like the idea of the low sodium broth. I wonder how hard it would be (for protein) to make egg drop soup? Has anyone tried? I don't have a Chinese restaurant anywhere within 100 miles from me. I would love to know!

My friend has! She takes some of the seasonings (I think she adds ginger and something else) and makes almost a roux out of it. Then adds the broth with a little sesame oil. Separates the whites from the yolks. Whisks yolks, then adds to the hot broth before. Then immediately after (assuming broth is not a rolling boil and it's calm), slowly and gently spoons in the egg whites into it. Cooks until whites are cooked through and everything warm.

I would think the key for your goal would be to get the low-sodium broth hot enough to cook the eggs. And be sure to separate them and add them in as above to get the right consistency/egg drop soup feeling.
    May not taste quiiiite the same without the extra stuff, but those do add calories. From there, you can adjust the seasonings and add-ins based on calorie needs and personal tastes.

@CamandJarvis Thank you so much! I am definitely going to try this!
  • CamandJarvis
    CamandJarvis Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    @SheilaBoneham Your tip about the after dinner bouillon is a great idea. I will try that next time. I also am trying to make sure I get in enough protein and fiber (35g protein/5g fiber each meal) plus a snack early in the day so that I'm not starving later in the day. I have noticed that on the nights that I'm extra hungry is all about not getting in enough protein/fiber earlier in the day.

@SheliaBoneham and @RockinRobyn672 I like the idea of the low sodium broth. I wonder how hard it would be (for protein) to make egg drop soup? Has anyone tried? I don't have a Chinese restaurant anywhere within 100 miles from me. I would love to know!

My friend has! She takes some of the seasonings (I think she adds ginger and something else) and makes almost a roux out of it. Then adds the broth with a little sesame oil. Separates the whites from the yolks. Whisks yolks, then adds to the hot broth before. Then immediately after (assuming broth is not a rolling boil and it's calm), slowly and gently spoons in the egg whites into it. Cooks until whites are cooked through and everything warm.

I would think the key for your goal would be to get the low-sodium broth hot enough to cook the eggs. And be sure to separate them and add them in as above to get the right consistency/egg drop soup feeling.
    May not taste quiiiite the same without the extra stuff, but those do add calories. From there, you can adjust the seasonings and add-ins based on calorie needs and personal tastes.

@CamandJarvis Thank you so much! I am definitely going to try this!

@deepwoodslady Let me know how it goes and any tweaks! I might need to try this to help add in some extra protein. I'm also looking to buy little miso packets at the store (just add hot water type) and may add an egg or two like in the soup. I LOOOOOVE miso, but it's super high in sodium so I'll be balancing that.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,819 Member
    Options
    @tiabirdie56 I’ve had a few root canals over the years and only had one that was a problem. You’ll be fine and the end of pain is awesome.
  • CamandJarvis
    CamandJarvis Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    qcmr7gkh2kgc.jpeg

What a dedicated little cutie! I'm excited to hear all about the future adventures of little Booker <3