WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Andreagay60
    Options
    I am 53 and need some female support . I did so well last year in the summer ....I was so proud. Well...this summer has probably been one of my most stressful, depressing summers ....and guess what....I AM A STRESS EATER !!!! I have gained about 10 pounds of stress to be exact and I want to get it back off. I started today watching my calories and water intake again. I also took a walk after chuch in my dress :noway: and my tennis shoes. I knew if I came home first, I would not want to go back out so I am keeping my shoes, socks and MP3 in my car so I have no excuses. With Gods help and the support from everyone, I will get this back off and get back on track.... and not just for a while, I need a lifestyle change. I need to stop letting the stress from my family cause me to over eat. and with prayer and dedication, I will do that. Thankyou for allowing me to vent.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here all weepy after reading the many posts already in September. Thanks to all who gave encouragement about the situation with my son, but honestly things are better for me right now than they have been for 6 years. I am in a very good place right now, but you probably understand that somewhere in the background is a tiny fear of the other shoe dropping. I feel a huge sense of comfort being among people who truly understand and don't judge. I'm just going to get on with it and try not to look back too much.

Tomorrow we go to pick up my new puppy! I'm so excited. I am probably the worlds biggest dog lover. If it weren't for hubby's gentle management I would be one of those ladies with a houseful. At the moment we are down to one, so she needs a buddy too. So I am enjoying those of you who post pics of your dogs. If I knew how, I would do it too. I don't even know how to put in the little picture above my name. I'll work on that.

My goals for September:
    Lose 5 more pounds
    Begin weight lifting, baby steps, and continue all month
    Increase my swimming from 30 minutes a day to 40
    Increase nightly walk from 20 minutes to 30
    Continue the cardio machine at 30 minutes but increase resistance from 4 to 5
    Get my lazy butt back in the studio to work

Sylvia
    From Kansas
  • Andreagay60
    Options
    That 144 start out weight has officially turned into a 151.2 as of this morning.......but I am NOT going to panic....I am just going to do better.
  • Andreagay60
    Options
    Im sorry you are having problems with a son......I have had that on my hands all summer long with a 26 year old that sucks the literal life out of me.....
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I did it! I got a picture up. Not a good one, but I'll work on it.
    Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Had a very early morning here.......huge national half marathon is held today here, course runs about a block from where I live. I could have volunteered through our running club but passed on that amount of involvement this time. Instead, hopped on my bike, rode up the road about a mile, found a shady spot , looked out for people I know and cheered them on; got lots of very sweaty hugs!!! When it got down to the walkers, I left my spot and biked about 6-7 more miles........a lovely morning except for the idiot woman clanging a cowbell about 20ft. from where I settled for the race. I'll never figure out how that encourages runners..........and I've never met one who liked it!!!

Went with dh to a Philippino-owned buffet for lunch..........est. cals. since, except for the pancit and lumpia, I have not much idea just what I ate. I did have a wonderful dessert, made from some root, according to the owner, he said it's like a yucca---tasted a bit like coconut to me.

Thanks for the thread, Barbie. Will do goal review later or tomorrow........I feel a nap in my near future.

Hope you are all having great weekends!!!
    yanniejannie
  • ireallyneedit
    ireallyneedit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi....looks like this is the message board for me. I have not really started anything yet just learning to navigate. I was on WW recently and did not work for me but I really enjoyed the message boards. Could someone tell me how to set up my profile and start. Thanks Linda Beals
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Love the poodles:laugh: .
    September goals
    -Try to remember my August goals:blushing: :ohwell:
    -Lose the four pounds I gained so I am back at my goal weight
    -start to prepare my garden for winter. (I live in Minnesota)
    -plant kindness when I can:heart:
    -support fellow MFP whenever possible:love:
    -Laugh more:laugh:
    :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: anything I post on this thread isn't mine----I probably got it from someone else.....so feel free to use it.......we are here to support and encourage each other so please use everything you find.

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Happy September everyone!! Well we had unexpected rain last night with lightning, thunder and hail, some of it quite large. Will have to check windows on the north side of our house as it was very loud and I am afraid there might be some damage. Our neighbor to the north lost part of a tree.

My August goals were to eat a salad every day. I was probably about 90% on that. Walk 30 minutes every day. This I did not do well on as we had a heat wave during a lot of August and there were warnings out even in the mornings and evenings. PT - I did great with this. Attended all sessions and am making good if slow progress. Finally able to do some active range of motion and am doing all home exercises I have been given too. I also wanted to finish August lighter and stronger. I finished stronger but not lighter. In July I finished lighter but not stronger. Maybe I can get it together this month and do both.:laugh:

September goals:

Continue PT and home exercises as directed.

Drink more water, eight glasses per day.

Work on protein goal of 30 grams per meal.

Finish September stronger and lighter.

Sue in SD
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

August was a good month…I lost 2 pounds, joined the strength training challenge and completed a 50 mile challenge! I continue to log my food and do some kind of exercise daily, I also wear my pedometer. :happy:

August goals:

 Continue to exercise 6 days a week. Done!
     Visit the gym!! Not yet….
     Continue to increase daily water intake, goal is 8 cups a day. 75%, my average is 5-6 cups a day.
     Continue to record food and exercise each day. Done!
     Remember my pedometer!! Done!
     Find an exercise group. Done!
     Swim 2 to 3 times a week. 75% (the pool is outside and 1 week the air quality was bad due to smoke from fires).

September goals:

 Do another 50 mile challenge…it keeps me motivated to walk/jog each day.
     Continue with the strength training challenge twice a week.
     Continue to wear my pedometer and log my food and exercise each day.
     Add Yoga exercises twice a week.
     Visit the gym.

I want to continue to have a positive outlook and appreciate all that is good in my life!!

Hope you all have a great September! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Terri, from beautiful, sunny southern Oregon
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I don't remember all my August goals but do know they were not all met. Somehow the month got away from me so lucky
    I did not gain any. Now the vet says my dog is a little pudgy so guess this months goal will include both of us hitting the road for some serious walking,

Thoughts and prayers going to all who are having difficult times
    Welcome to all who are new, truly a wonderful group of ladies here who I have come to admire a great deal
    Thanks to Barbie for keeping us together and to all who share their lives with us

Juanita in sudbury with a pudgy pooch....
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi....looks like this is the message board for me. I have not really started anything yet just learning to navigate. I was on WW recently and did not work for me but I really enjoyed the message boards. Could someone tell me how to set up my profile and start. Thanks Linda Beals

I used my iphone app to set up my goals, let MFP make my decisions, and have been very happy with the results. To do this, follow the guided path. I watched all of the tutorial videos on the app and found them very helpful. I didn’t even find the website for a couple of weeks, maybe longer. Then I was lucky enough to stumble upon this thread and I’ve been here ever since. I just looked over the website and don’t see the tutorials online. They may be app specific.

I chose my user name and supplied a photo. I gave my current weight, height, and activity level and accepted MFP recommendations for goal weight and allowed calories. My initial calorie allotment was set by MFP and has gradually lowered as I’ve lost weight. It will never go below 1200. The calorie goal they give you will result in weight loss if you stick to it, but you can lose faster if you also exercise. DH can’t exercise due to health issues and we’ve both lost weight, but I’ve lost more weight.

This is not a diet that I will quit when I reach my goal. It is a lifestyle change. I sometimes blow it, but then get back on track as soon as I can. Long ago I went on a diet and suffered, and lost a lot of weight. When I reached my goal I resumed eating with the family, and the weight all came back, and brought friends with it. That was a major life lesson. Now I know I'll need to keep this up forever if I want to remain healthy and keep my weight under control.

Good luck to you.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

September goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Chatty September so far!!! Welcome to September to all the new members. greatest group on the planet!

I think my goal for September needs to get through emotionally. Talked to my sister this afternoon, she had a wonderful nights sleep which is good for her. I think the main concern now is her heart rate. It went down to 30 during the night. I'm sure those cardiac nurses were on high alert. I know this one is! I know that the rate does go down in your sleep but that is pretty low. I just wish it weren't a holiday weekend. Her blood pressure remains pretty high, in the 200's. Her own doctor has worked about 2 years finally finding the combination of medicines to keep it at a decent level and she has been off those for 2 days. Plus the stress hurt.

Then my oldest daughter, Christina called this afternoon, actually she face timed me. That's a wonderful invention. Anyway, on the way to church this morning another car ran into them and her car was flipped. They are all OK, Christina had a cat scan and has a strained neck but that's the worst of the injuries. She knows that she will feel worse tomorrow. She said it was terrible trying to get her seat belt off with the air bag deployed, being upside down and 3 young children in the back seat. As a Mom your first thoughts are of your kids. But they all got out. The other driver was so diswrought that my youngest grand daughter, Ellie ran over to her, told her it was OK, gave her a hug and told her she loved her and then invited her to church. She is 6! God, I love that child. The driver couldn't produce her insurance car but did say she had it. If she doesn't and can't get a rental car for them, I guess we will drive the 3 hour trip down there and loan them my van for an indefinite time. I do not want to do that but that's the kind of father my husband is and neither of us work and both of them do will only have one junker left to drive.

Take care my dear Vit F friends Joyce from Indiana
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: Hi Linda. Welcome to our thread. Making friends is easy on MFP. Just click on someone's profile and click on the button "add as friend". In general, you will want to add a little message as well, so that people know who is asking. So far I have found making friends of similar age as mine has worked best for me, but everyone is different. All the best to you on your journey.

Renny

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. Give it 12 weeks. Don't quit!!!!"
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had a successful trip to the Y this morning. I did the aquafit class and boy can I feel it this afternoon. My DD went and did cardio while I was in the pool. This is HUGE for her as she suffers terribly from social anxiety. I'm so happy that she was able to do that on her own. Went from the Y to grocery shopping and then off to Bed Bath & Beyond and the pet store. Busy morning.

It's so hard for me to look back and remember that when I started this journey in Jan that I got winded just walking out to my car. I was 65 lbs heavier. Now I can walk a mile with no problem or spend 45 min doing water aerobics. :noway:

My August goals, I didn't do so well with. I didn't get my walking up to 1 mile each day but I did walk every day. I didn't get enough water on weekends.

Sept goals

get to the Y every day
    add strength training
    up my water intake esp on weekends

Welcome to all the newbies. It's a great place for support and encouragement.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP since early June; I actually joined in May and started using in June. I am eager to join a group for added encouragement and support. My weight loss is crawling along and after reading the above posts, it is apparent I am not alone...thank God!

Being at home is new for me this year; I just retired from teaching 8th grade language arts/reading. My health is my priority nowadays, and I am happy and blessed to be able to give it my full attention.

My goals for September are:
    1. Continue to exercise for 60 minutes 5-6 times a week. (This includes strength training 2 times a week.)
    2. Meet my caloric goals and eat at least half of the exercise calories.
    3. Be more patient with my DH.

Connie from SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: If you're planning to add (or continue( strength training, you might like to be part of the strength training challenge started by Jodios (one of the inspiring women on this thread)......i am part of the challenge and I've gotten some good ideas and been more accountable by posting on the thread.

Here is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069105-strength-training-challenge

I hope to see you there

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Barbie,
    Love your September goals!
  • Thornbird1
    Thornbird1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone my name is Deanna and i just joined today. I'm seeing the word "bump" on a lot of the posts and was wondering what that is.

I am also motivated by those of you who have posted September goals so I will think about mine and post soon.

Does anyone on this site live around the O'Hare area in Chicago?

Thanks and look forward to getting to know many of you.

Deanna