WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well, we are winding down here from a very productive 3-day weekend. Lots of cleaning, gardening and other little jobs around the house – it sure feels good to see my list with lines drawn through almost all of the chores.

Katla – congrats on the weight loss AND on being so close to your goal!!! I completely agree with your point about buying American but it sure can be difficult.

Joyce – I can NOT imagine how you must have felt when your DD let you know about the accident. So glad that they are all well, except for the bumps and bruises they’re discovering today. And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and DH!

Wendy – welcome to this thread and congratulations on embarking upon this journey. Enjoy your hair and nail appointments – pamper yourself!

Renny – I especially the line “set a schedule, not a deadline”. Awesome advice!

Suzy – how exciting would it be to be selected? I love the Amazing Race and so do my girls. Good luck!

Rita – congratulations on the 100-pound loss AND on recognizing that you need to get back to basics in order to continue on your journey!

Brooke – I think my DH would agree with yours; I’m sure he doesn’t think I am always agreeable either!

Grandmallie – I’m sorry to hear that you are still having foot pain. Sounds like it’s time for the shot and, hopefully, some relief. And I am envious of your great Goodwill finds. I, like you, hate the idea of spending a lot of money on clothes that are those “in-between” sizes. I’ve been putting off buying but had to give in recently as I was basically swimming in the pants I was wearing to work. I did find a good sale at Kohl’s and had a good coupon so I basically got them BOGO. Still, not as good a deal as the one you got!

Have a good evening everyone!

Sandy K in Central Ohio
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    One thing I insist on is receiving a Joke of the Day each day. this is one I couldn't resist sharing:

COMPUTER TERMS - TEXAS TRANSLATION:
    LOG ON: Making a wood stove hotter.
    LOG OFF: Don't add no more wood.
    MONITOR: Keeping an eye on the wood stove.
    DOWNLOAD: Gettin' the farwood off the truck
    MEGA HERTZ: When yer not keerful gettin' the farwood
    FLOPPY DISC: Whatcha git from tryin to carry too much farwood
    RAM: That thing tha splits the farwood
    HARD DRIVE: Gettin' home in the winter time
    PROMPT: What the mail ain't in the winter time
    WINDOWS: What to shut when it's cold outside
    SCREEN: What to shut when it's black fly season
    BYTE: What them dang flies do
    CHIP: Munchies fer the TV
    MICRO CHIP: What's in the bottom of the munchie bag
    MODEM: Whatcha did to the hay fields
    DOT MATRIX: Old Dan Matrix's wife
    LAP TOP: Where the kitty sleeps
    KEYBOARD: Where ya hang the dang truck keys
    SOFTWARE: Them dang plastic forks and knives
    MOUSE: What eats the grain in the barn
    MOUSE PAD: That's hippie talk fer the mouse hole
    MAIN FRAME: Holds up the barn roof
    ENTER: Northerner talk fer "c'mon in, y'all"
    RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY: When ya can't 'member what ya paid fer the rifle

:bigsmile: Renny
  • cws4me
    Options
    Well, I'm back from the road trip and again I went off and ate too much. This time I put on two of the pounds lost instead of four. I am back on track today,but since it is raining hard outside(flooding) and I am just in a lazy mood, I will probably not exercise today. I will get back to walking tomorrow when I go into work. I find that I look forward to the messages here because I see how everyone supports one another and how it truly is not a sprint but a marathon as I was reminded. Thank you all for keeping me in check. As I get more comfortable with the posting and replying I will hopefully be an inspiration or comfort as you are to me. Till tomorrow
    Irma from Nevada :wink:
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, Ladies! Happy Labor Day! I am back from the scrapbook store and the potluck-crop The apple-yogurt salad was a hit! Thank you for the recipe! One of the other women brought tomatoes and black olives in a simple balsamic vinegar dressing. My friend who is a celiac sufferer made safe chicken salad for us to put on gluten free crackers. The other food and the dessert were all wheat/pasta based, so I did just fine for my day's food. Thank you for encouraging me to make good choices.

Katla- I understand completely your statement about being a walking space heater! And now, to my surprise, there are times when I am actually chilly!

KellyKat2- Welcome! You may be here for the hundredth time, but you ARE HERE! And, that is a very good thing! Your goals sound very logical, and I love the one about walking with your daughter and dog daily.

Barbie- I have found very supportive people in both groups, and I find something to take away from each meeting.

Cinrueshershae- Welcome!!!

Renny- EEWWWWW- I resemble that picture! I know I am just full with that yellow, icky stuff!!!! Congratulations on your -7.5 lbs.
    I understand the whole joke you posted. I have had a wood stove, have helped bring in the hay, and I certainly have dealt with those nasty black flies!

PattyBayArea- Welcome! I love your picture! How are you doing with your food after surgery? What type of surgery did you have? I had a RnY gastric bypass, and I know that learning to eat all over again is difficult. Do not do anything too strenuous if it makes you dizzy! That means you are not ready to do all of that quite yet. I am here if you need me!

Andrea- Boy, do I relate to you! I am also a stress eater, and, once I get myself back home, I do not want to go out again to exercise! Don't let the gain throw you for a loop, you will turn it around!

Sylvia- Oh, how fun! I love puppies, but I am not patient enough anymore to do all of the needed training they need.

Linda- Welcome! I am glad that you are here, but I can not help you with anything "computer". I need to hire helpers to get me through to my stuff! This is a great group, I know someone will step up and help you.

YannieJannie- Watermelon salad? That sounds good, but I just can not do feta... or blue cheese... what else could I use?

I have no idea what is going on outside, but someone is really going at it with a chain saw! I hope they are done soon because it is not a good sound. I do not want to end up with a headache!

I think I will go someplace, anyplace for a while, and maybe when I come back, they will be finished!

Have a good night, Ladies.

Pat
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Brooke from Colorado...Congrats on meeting your August goals! :smile:

Terri, from Oregon
  • coolcatz
    Options
    I'm back to myfitnesspal after a 3 year hiatus. I have a few friends who are using this system so I thought I would move back from Lose it. Which I really like. Oh well. I am 51 and am determined to lose 30 pounds asap. I've been planning for a couple of weeks now. The teens are back to school tomorrow and I am kicking it into high gear!!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Bump for the new thread now that I'm back from Asheville. Had a terrific time with my friend, but am so very glad to be back home. Have to finish off the laundry, so more tomorrow.

Gail, metro ATL
  • rjscott
    rjscott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just a quick "HI!" Haven't been on recently due to computer problems. Thanks to the combined efforts of both sons, the computer seems to be fine again. Welcome to all the newcomers! I'll try to catch up and reply tomorrow.
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well, happy Labour (or Labor) Day to all the MFP ladies….
    I am very very very frustrated with MFP. I am finding it takes about a minute to refresh a page, or update, posts are disappearing on a regular basis, the site is down for repairs……maybe they just aren’t up to the volume. Not sure, but probably will not post much. All it takes is one screw up and I’m pretty much done for the night. Isn’t it amazing how intolerant I can be when I compare to 20 years ago when the internet was down more than it was up.? Keep up with the times MFP…..

Enough of a rant – on to more joyful things.

Barbie – thanks as usual for keeping us afloat and your always valued advice.

Yoyo – hope your time with your sister and family is wonderful. I’m missing mine already (even though I just spent ½ hour on the phone with her after she arrived home).

Sylvia – hang in there and we are here to listen.

DeeDee – ahh we seem to be on the same roller coaster, just different time zones. I think I’m going to focus on tightening up the mid section this month instead of weight loss.

Robin, love love love the photo. Thank you.

Barbara (ahmod) so nice to see you.

Looked at the next season clothes in my spare room closet. I really don’t need to buy anything but I suspect by Xmas I will need all new pants. Most of my last winter pants are a little loose but still wearable. I need to alter a couple of skirts though and I need a whole lot of new shoes and boots. Who knew that weight loss caused your shoe size to change????

OK Sept goals –only one – crunches to get rid of this mid section muffin top.

Have a good week ladies, will try to check in and catch up but depends on MFP and my level of patience.

Lila in the sunny, but expecting thunder storms, Kootenays, BC Canada.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We had a good anniversary dinner. We decided to go to Olive Garden. I used both the data here on MFP and their web site and found what I wanted. I know that they have the less than 5oo calorie menu but I have had from that before and I just don't like it. So I ordered the chicken parmegian. I told the waiter up front there mine was going to be a special order and he said that's what they do best. So first I ordered my salad separate from theirs, husband and daughter, I brought my own dressing that was 25 calories. So i had an ample amount to have a small salad before the meal. I also asked him to make my entree with grilled chicken. It did have the cheese on top, which was yummy. So when it came to the table I immediately cut it all in half and put it on the little bread plate. i was going to put it in a box to take home and my husband would have it tomorrow for lunch. But the meal he ordered was really small and he ate it there. I really think he ordered something deliberately so that he wouldn't like it. He loves to hate more expensive restaraunts. When he got his flat bread he asked why we didn't tell him it was just going to be a chicken covered pop tart! So while they were finishing up I finished my salad which the second one was a good size. So I had a special meal on a diabetics limitations.

last night I was so stressed that I told my daughter that she better not come over today without chocolate!!!! She knew that that wouldn't prevent her from being welcome, just that I was desperate for chocolate. Earlier in the year for my birthday she thought she was buying what I would want and bought me one of the big chocolate chip decorated cookies. So bless her heart she brought one of the Fiber one brownies!!! Much enjoyed.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It started raining this morning while I was walking the dogs…..they love the rain and I was dressed for it so it didn’t stop our walk but it stopped my plans to work in the yard….instead I did my strength training in the morning, caught up on a bunch of paperwork and found time for a nap in the afternoon and some practice of new line dances…..23,000 steps by day’s end.

:heart: Barbie from rainy and then sunny NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Today I did an hour of Jari Love DVD. Honestly, I don't remember doing it before but I must have since I made notes about it. Anyway...I DID IT!! I held my plank for 2 min 20 seconds. What I think I need to do is listen to something to keep my mind off the time, maybe I'll turn the TV on just to have it in the background. Then I did about 20 minutes of yoga. Tomorrow I'm planning to do the rebounder DVD that I have

Then I went to WalMart. It's nice that they'll price match. Walgreen's has water on sale today and yesterday, so I took my ad in and got it at that price. I like to have water for Vince to drink in addition to his gatorade. Got a few other things, too.

Pam - welcome! A good way to start is exactly what you plan to do - log EVERYTHING, good and bad. You'll probably find some things that'll surprise you. Good luck with your thyroid

Tracy - welcome. You're so right to want to be there for others. Great motivation

genalace - I'm amazed at how patient you are making your lace. Glad you're happy with what you've done. Memorial Day in the US is at the end of May

Heather - exercising is my go-to for stress if I can. There have been times when Vince has said to me "just go to the Y, just go to the Y". What is a "PB" on the elliptical? I guess I'm brain dead right now.

Sandy - welcome back!

I was just reading that watermelon is an anti-inflammatory. I didn't know that! I got a watermelon at the farmer's market this Sat. It is SOOO sweet. But I don't think Vince likes it too much - get this - "because of the seeds" Well, that much more for me!!!!

jodyblanchard, 82kpohl. coolcatz (welcome back) - welcome! And welcome to everyone else new

Kate - have fun on your vacation. Hope you can pop in here while you are gone. Sometimes I can't get to a computer, but I use my phone and post on the home page.

Well, I think I'll clean the steps of the pool then go in the pool for a bit. See ya later!

grandmalle - I love getting bargains. WooHoo for you! Wonderful

Joyce - again, happy anniversary. What an accomplishment. You have a lot to be proud of. Yes, I think you should go to your daughter's house.

Sue in SD - thank goodness broken windows is all the damage that you have.

grandmalle - what time should I be over??? Your dinner sounds divine

Wendy - welcome to the "late night munchie" group. Going to bed earlier helps, that's for sure. I like what you're doing with the refund money...sounds very good to me

Rita - congrats on the great loss. Don't worry, I've been here for a few years and I *STILL* can't keep track of everybody.

cinrueshershae - where in NC are you?

yanniejannie - your salad sounds wonderful and so refreshing

Renny - LOL...thanks for the smile

Joyce - your dinner at OG sounds wonderful, great how you managed it

We played mahjongg here tonight. I only maj'd once. Last week one gal said that she was going to bring her "awesome" chocolate chip brownies. Actually, I had one, and to be honest, I didn't think it was that great. Really, it's just a brownie mix and she put in a bag of chocolate chips. I was expecting something much better. Oh well..... After we played we went into the hot tub. Now this is the life!! Play mahjongg and then go in the hot tub. Heavenly! One gal said "I think we should have it during the winter at my house and during the summer at your house". Not a problem as far as I am concerned.

Well, time for beddybye.

Michele in NC
  • shoing
    shoing Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would like to join you lovely ladies.:love: I hit the 50 mark in April this year wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. :noway: Just my kids getting older that hurts. :ohwell: I want to get some of this weight off and start feeling better and get my back and feet doing better. My first goal is to get under the 200 mark then I'll go from there. So far down 4lbs. I've been up and down all my life. I want to set a good example for my daughter and get healthy and fit. Here's to a great month for all of us. LET'S GO GIRLS! LET'S LOG EVERY BITE:drinker: AND DO IT RIGHT!:heart:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    Good evening, lovelies!

Here I come again.

Have a Scottish Country Dance demo in 3 weeks, praying I can still squeeze:frown: into my costume.

DH is taking the little black dog camping this week, so walking the big blond dog will fall to me.:huh: Thank goodness the wildfire smoke is finally clearing. Means I'll have to get off my butt to leave work at lunch, best thing in the world for me. Also means I'll have to skip line dance class:sad: (would mean leaving Dixie alone just too long), so I'll have to practice at home by myself. Thanks Barbie for the inspiration. I CAN do that!

Learning a few things at last: to minimize stress, don't put it off, just do it! And ... I sleep:yawn: much better when I end the day with protein drink instead of beer and snacks. Go figure! :laugh:

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD of the healthier waist in 2013.

2013: Focus on the important stuff
    September: Log, matwork, EVERY day. Sweat and SWSY twice weekly.
    Just for now: let go of anger, trust, be at peace.
    Bonus goals: HRM, Smartphonewalk, scanposts (same as June! :noway: )
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Happy anniversary! Your daughter brought you the perfect brownie! :bigsmile: I’m so happy that you enjoyed your Olive Garden meal. I looked up their online menu information before going there for dinner with my women friends last winter and was very pleased with the ability to know contents and calories. I really enjoyed my meal. I'm glad you enjoyed yours, too.:flowerforyou:

82kpohl: I didn’t start out energetic when I came to MFP. I was bogged down with excess weight and bad habits and attitudes. As I’ve adopted healthier exercise and eating habits my energy has increased enough that I sometimes amaze myself. Newbie advice is to take it a day at a time, forgive yourself if you mess up, and keep on following the steps to become healthier. Log your food and get any kind of exercise you’re able to do. This is a learning process and we’re all evolving. You will too, if you stick with it.:flowerforyou:

Wendy from Belfast N Ireland: Welcome to a great group. Stay with us and we’ll cheer you on.:flowerforyou:

Rita: What is the HMR weight management program? Be sure to let us know where you’re from in your signatures.:wink:

Brooke from CO: It looks like you’re doing a great job with meeting your goals. Nobody is perfect. I counted 11 yeses and only 2 nos. I think that is amazingly good work. I hope we see you here more often.:flowerforyou:

Ohiomomof2: It sure is hard to buy American, but I do it whenever I can. You wouldn’t believe what I paid for an American made toaster a couple of years ago.:noway: It will still be making toast when my grandchildren have grandchildren, two perfect slices at a time.:laugh:

Sasha: I wonder why I don’t have problems with MPF and you do. :huh: I’ve only found the site down a couple of times since I started in October. As to slow: no problem there, either. Could it be your internet provider or browser?:huh:

Shoing: Welcome to the group. Please let us know where you’re from. It is more fun that way.:bigsmile:

Auntiebk:: I love your life lesson—don’t put it off, just do it. I’m partly successful at that one, but have LOADS of room for improvement. I really like your goals regarding letting go of anger, trusting, and being at peace. Not sure what some of the others are. I hope we see more of you here.:flowerforyou:

I made DH really mad today because I was a dummy. :blushing: He’s forgiven me. Yesterday I had trouble getting my little boat motor to start. Today he showed me what I was doing wrong, and off I went. I didn’t stay in touch with him and I was gone a LONG time. I thoroughly enjoyed my boating adventure with the dog, but not the angry man I came home to. :noway: He spent a long time worrying about me. I was in the wrong.:blushing: I should have called to let him know how well things were really going but I was having such a good time I didn't think about it. This week is my SIL’s birthday. I’d love gift ideas for a 30 something man.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

September goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Happy end of Labour Day

Thanks to those who explained that Memorial Day is in May - I was worried at the thought of trying to lose 40lbs by November. Of course, May is much more manageable.

Lace is done, portfolio is done, covering notes are done, e-mail to my sister is done (she has the syllabus and log book that has to go with the entry), e-mail to the organization saying it will be in the mail tomorrow and would they please e-mail me when it arrives.

Tomorrow morning, off to the post office to send it on its way by Priority Post which will probably cost me a fortune.

It felt funny this evening, not having to be doing something, but, after a while, I was looking round for something to do. I found some items that I'd knitted that needed to be sewn up, so completed 5 items.

Off to bed as I can hardly keep my eyes open all of a sudden.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    genealace, my maternal Grandma used to make those little doilies and I was always fascinated sitting there watching her old hands just going so fast with those two needles and then she would hold it up and it would be a masterpiece. She had 4 children and stayed 3 months of the year with each one. We knew she was coming because there would always be prune juice in the fridge. Also because preperations were made for one of us 5 kids to loose our bed. We were always so jealous of the boys. Why didn't Grandma get to sleep with them some times??? It was always us girls that would have to bunk up. But she made beautiful table top pieces, long ones for the piano and also the yummiest baked tapioca custard. I treasure the few pieces I still have of her crocheting. I know crocheting is different than making lace and I'm sure your lace is just as treasured.

My husband got over his grouchiness today. I sent Christina a text for her to PLEASE call her Dad and assure him that all was OK and that they were handling everything. They would have been insulted that grandpa thought that they weren't taking care of the job and required him to come down, 3 hours away, and take over. She called and you cold tell the weight was lifted off her shoulders. Bless my little 6 year old grand daughter's heart. She needs to and is still talking out what happened during the wreck. So she walks the cell phone with me on the other end to the kitchen and 'shows' me her mock up of the accident. When you are walking, excited, describing with your hands and talking all at the same time sometimes it is kind of hard to hear a little girls actual conversation. Especially with her 2 front teeth out. I could make out her saying and this her is supposed to be showing the other womans white car and the salt shaker is our red car. And this is the mud that we ran up on. I have no idea what all she said. All I know is that she needed to tell grandma and she needed to work it out in her own mind in the only way she could. Art, one of her favorite things in what ever kind of medium she can find to use. So I just listened. She is so sweet.

My husband likes to not like things. That reinforces in his mind that people don't make things right. So he chose this item at Olive Garden that he had never had. Also it was inexpensive and although he tells me not to worry about the price, order anything I want, he orders this small, cheap thing. We supplement it with our food and he had enough. But it was so funny when he said 'why didn't anyone tell me that flat bread just tasted like a pop tart?

Joyce, indiana

Woops, i just saw that I completely repeated what my husband bought and ate. I had it in an earlier post. To the people on the MS forum they don't mind and it pretty common because we forget what we have said just 10 minutes ago!!!!
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!
    Joyce Happy Anniversary!:drinker: Sorry to hear about your daughter's misadventure and great to hear about your sweet grand daughter. god bless you all.
    Barbie Thanks for being our inspiration
    Heather So glad to hear u r well
    Katla awesome on your plank...... can barely do 1min 20 sec and the pounds down
    Michele thats a great plank. Great Mahjong and dip. I can play a little my Mom is addicted, rather was( to Mahjong).
    Grandmallie I admire your determination, painful feet dont mean no workout, inspiring

and all others best wishes on our marathon to reach our goals,

Yoga shortly and a walk to and fro.
    I have finally logged my food diary yesterday.
    Goals for September:
    :smile: Drink 4 lit water
    :smile: Run 3 times a week
    :smile: Add a strength challenge....... plank + push ups
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!

Awake before 6, but I was asleep by 11p, so that's enough sleep. Seem to be going to sleep earlier and earlier, used to always be up till at least after Leno's monologue.........going to miss that guy, he's been my fav of the late ight bunch for a long time.

Have to find and ship a huge list of stuff my dd either forgot or now needs at college; will be my major job for today. She sent her personal statement letter that goes with her app. to vet school for me to read, really good writing.

Welcome newbies and those returning after some time away!!!!

Genealace..........glad to hear you have finished and have your project in the post

Renny...........cute "funny", chuckled at them

Pat...........Just leave the feta out---I didn't use much, not the healthiest ingredient anyway, between the fat and sodium---I usually look at a bunch of recipies, then use what I like (or, more likely, what I have on hand!!!) to make my own. I was a "by the book" cook for wayyyyyyy too long before I realized I didn't really have to copy everything word for word and it's been very liberating.

Lila............no problems with computer here.........when mine gets slow and troublesome, my dh does some kind of "clean-up" and it's always better after

Michele.............Totally awesome plank!!!!!

Katla.........a book (always my first choice!!), or mag. sub., or gift card to a book store, block of movie tickets, or theater tickets, dinner out, wine of the month club, or tickets to an athletic event if he's a fan

Have to get started on my hunt for dd needed things.
    Everybody: Have a good day!!!

yanniejannie........looks to be hot and sunny.........mid-Atlantic
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    We went to Stillwater Oklahoma yesterday to pick up my new puppy. He's wonderful! My older dog died back in May, leaving us with just one. She loves my husband most, although she tolerates me. So I wanted another dog that would be "mine" like the old one was. So, I found this little guy on a pet adoption and we went to get him. He was, we thought, some kind of whippet mix, but after meeting him I'm not so sure of that, but he is adorable no matter what he is. He is such a little love bug, always wants to be touching us and cuddling. Our female doesn't quite know what to think of him. She wants him to chase her, but her crazy zoomies around the yard only served to scare the little guy. It didn't help that she got possessive when he tried to play with one of her toys. Anyway, it will be a challenge to deal with those issues and house training, but it'll be fun, I'm sure. He's about 14 weeks now, and about 10 pounds. His name is Bruno.

So I didn't do anything yesterday related to diet or exercise but the Y was closed for the holiday anyway. Today we visit the vet, then I will get to the gym.

Sylvia in Kansas