WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    To me, bump just marks where I last read. I finish reading all the posts at the end of the day and then I can just write bump and I know where I left off. In some of the threads on the message board, some of the threads don't have that much interest so if you just put bump, it brings that thread back tot he attention and gets it on the most recent posts to be seen by other people. basically you feel it is important enough for some one else to see and bring it to their attention. But this forum is very active! In fact once it reaches 500 posts Barbie will have to start September part 2

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- what a mess. So glad that you're getting to see your grandkids now.

Heather - what really irks me is when you have an exercise class and the music is so loud it actually hurts your ears. We used to have one instructor for the extremepump class. There really isn't anything else like that around here. Anyway, whenever she taught, I'd wear earplugs.

DeeDee - you know I love you, but I think I'll pass on the projects.

grandmalle - hope you get to go bowling. I find it a lot of fun, but the alleys by us have these ceiling fans and they are on very high, there's no way to adjust the speed. That's one of the things I don't like. I just don't like air blowing real hard on me, even when I'm exercising. When I'm exercising I don't mind if it's blowing on me just a little, tho

bhsishtla - welcome! Best of luck to you in Sept

Pat - happy birthday to your son. You're only as old as you feel....and if you feel 39....well.....

Welcome everyone new!

Renny - good luck on your walks

mynyddisamrs - please post pics of your cakes. I'm always on the lookout for ideas. How nice of you to take your mom on the cruise.

Robin - adorable pics. Thanks for sharing

Andreagay - vent all you want whenever you want. We've been exercising so we have large shoulders...lol

Joyce - glad your daughter is OK. That was such a wonderful thing for your granddaughter to do!

Sandy - water workouts are deceiving. You don't feel them when you're doing them...but later...watch out! So happy about your daughter

Didn't do any formal exercise today. vince and I worked outside from about 9:30 to 4:30 when it started to rain. Honestly, I'm a bit tired right now. But we're almost finished behind the equipment pad. Boy, will I be glad when that's done. But, of course, there are other things that need to be done, too. Not only did we put the riverrock downm, but I started to wash the red clay off the pipes. Honestly, that red clay has actually stained some of the pipes. Hopefully, over time, the pipes will get clean.

Did a load of laundry, put it in the dryer while we were outside. Oh, that reminds me, I want to take a sandwich out of the freezer in case we work outside tomorrow or the next day.

The Y isn't opening up until 8 and the place I go to for the extremepump class isn't open tomorrow, so I'll do a Jari Love Revved to the Max DVD at home, hold my plank (I'm going to try for 2 min 20 sec; for the last two weeks I've done 2 min 15 sec) and some yoga. Then I'll probably go to WalMart since Walgreens has water on sale and WM will price match. There are also a few other things I'd like to get.

We usually play mahjongg at this one gal's house, but it seems that she forgot to record the race at Bristol Sat. Vince recorded it, so they're coming here, the girls will play mahjongg while the guys watch the race.

I'm a bit on the tired side. I'm afraid that a carb craving will be coming on so I'll go lay down with Lance and Shadow.

Michele in NC
  • texasokie
    texasokie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Pam. I was looking thru the forums and saw this community. I've been reading the posts..this seems to be a very close group of ladies..I like that. I'm in a stall with my weight loss and need motivation to get back on track. I didn't do too good in August, up and down on the scale. My goal for Sept is to start working out (I'd like to do 3-5 days a week) and to log every day, good and bad! Also I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a couple weeks ago and another goal for Sept is to get my thyroid fixed.

Pam - Oklahoma
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Tracy7847
    Options
    Hi, this is my first time blogging here. I am not much of a joiner, but I need to get refocused on my goals for healthy living. I have lost 115 pounds since Feb. 2011. I did it on my own by writing down meals and calories in a journal. Walking, and weight training as well. Now I still need to lose about 50 lbs. Because I have felt so great, I forget that I am not done and must never lose sight of how easy it is to gain it back. My goals for September are to faithfully write down everything I eat.(3rd journal) go to the gym 3-4 days a week. Put myself first so I can be there for others.
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    White Rabbits

I've finished the 4th piece of lace and am fairly happy with it, so it will be the one that goes into my portfolio.

I have to finish putting that together tomorrow as it has to go into the mail first thing on Tuesday so that it gets to England on time.

DBF really likes swordfish and that was what we had for supper this evening. It isn't my favourite fish as I don't think it has a lot of flavour. Anyway, I just took a small piece and gave him the rest of my half to take home to have later in the week. Thank goodness no more swordfish for a while. It was on special so wasn't quite as expensive as it is sometimes.

Anyway, thanks Barbie for starting the new thread, and welcome to all the newcomers. I think I read someone wants to lose 40 lbs by memorial day - is that November in the US? I don't feel that that is practical - it must have taken a lot longer than that to gain the weight.

Off to bed.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Good morning from noisy (again) Hampshire UK!:grumble:
    At least our painters are here so we have disruption any way, but next door are strimming or buzz sawing or something . . .:sad:
    Roll on winter! At least it's generally quieter then.
    Paula - when I saw the "blissful" scene of tents in the field I didn't feel very blissful I can tell you. I felt like getting an amplifier and playing loud music through the hedge to wake them all up!:tongue:

mynddisamrs - be careful with the cake baking! I got to be good at cake decorating and became the go to person for any special occasion. I had to call a strike in the end. Even for DGS. I used my slimming regime as an excuse.:blushing: When things become an expectation rather than a pleasure then, for me, it's time to call a halt. Of course, if you are really enjoying it, that's different.:flowerforyou:

Some of you, including the new people have written about stress eating. I used to be a stress eater, but I realised when I read your posts that I don't do it very often any more. I can't put my finger on exactly what's changed, but I think it must be that I can so clearly see and feel the benefits of losing weight that I don't want to lose that. With loss of weight my self esteem has gone up and my confidence in many areas, including noise tolerance! I don't want to punish myself anymore, which is what we are doing when we stress eat. When I was super stressed on Saturday night I came on here and wrote about it. That helped more than anything else. Other people have tried Overeaters Anonymous. Journaling can be good. Exercise is great for stress. Eating and stuffing it down never cured anything!:heart: I do feel like an alcoholic though and know that forever it is one day at a time. I am recovering, never cured. Good wishes to all those struggling. Vent on here as much as you like rather than reaching for that biscuit tin!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Katla - I see you are thinking of upgrading your fall wardrobe. Isn't that great! There is a definite increase in self esteem when we lose weight. We want to look nice and show the world how far we've come.:bigsmile: For many years, like you, I have had a uniform of black trousers and various degrees of warmth of colourful tops depending on the season. It was a revelation when I realised I didn't have to buy black trousers any more. :laugh: As to smart rainwear, my new red stripey mac is very fashionable and is fleece lined.:love:

Kay- I am now waiting for the story of the bat wings. With bated breath!

Sandy - I know that wonderful feeling of improved health and fitness. You have done so well and it is only when we look back we can see how far we have come. Last year I was barely hobbling, out of breath and struggling to get in to the car as my leg was so weak. The stairs in my house were a major obstacle. Swollen ankles. In pain all the time. Gosh! Like you I can hardly recognise that old self.:flowerforyou: Keep going! We are worth it!:love:

Well, off now for a shower. Gradually creeping up my strength training by one extra repetition a day. I also achieved a PB today on the elliptical. Yeah!

Love Heather :wink:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    morning chica's.
    im up and have a load of laundry in.. gym opens up at 8- then im going across the street to goodwill and see if they have some pants and shirts for fall and winter, I dont want to go buy new stuff when I will be losing. have lost a few ounces, so at least that is something..
    hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend in the states, and to Heather and all my other friends around the rest of the planet, hope your enjoying yourself...:heart:
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good morning and hello again!

I have been largely absent from this thread for over a month and my results definitely show it (gained back 4 pounds in the last few weeks). :frown: Life has just been very busy and complicated lately but that's no excuse and I am recommitting myself as of today. I've definitely missed the conversation to be found here - I always learn something and am SO inspired by you all! I've read the September pages and will just catch up on what I've missed as time allows.

September goals are simple:
    * Come to MFP every day - to log food, water & exercise as well as keep up with this thread
    * Increase the amount of time I spend on exercise (still walking 1.5 - 2 miles a day but need to do more)
    * Increase my water intake (go from 48 to 84 ounces)
    * (Re)lose 4 pounds and get back on track

I have lost 31 pounds and have another 26 to go. Sometimes I feel that I self-sabotage and that's why I have these episodes where I kind of fall of the wagon, so to speak. I am determined to get it in gear and get back to the healthier habits I was practicing earlier in the year. :smile:

For those of you in the US - happy Labor Day! For those in other countries - happy Monday!

Sandy K in Central Ohio
  • andypandy1109
    andypandy1109 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    my Aug goal was achieved as any loss at the end of the month is great 3.5lb in all
    Sept is also the same goals to come out of the other side with a weight loss.

small is good it does not put me off small means i dont feel deprived over anything at all...small is the tortoise and the hare and we all know who won.xxxx

Dot West Yorkshire
  • andypandy1109
    andypandy1109 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: what does bump mean' please where i come from it means your pregnant...lol
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    bump-just means you are saving your space on here so when you come back you find where you left off:wink:
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies –

Happy Labor Day for all in U.S.!! I’m a little sad that summer is over. It seems like it went really fast this year and I didn’t get to enjoy it as much as I should have.

Friday was a fun and interesting day, we went to Trump’s Taj Mahal in A.C. to try out for the Amazing Race. Wasn’t really sure what to expect, but figured it would be a neat experience. The casting call was from 12-3, we got there at 11:45 and the line was wrapped around and out the door. I think we were 180 in line and at the end we had another 100 or so behind us. I wandered up to the front of the line and talked to some of the folks who had gotten in line the day before. Once they opened up and got started the line moved fairly quickly and we got to the front by 2:00. It was a bit hard on DH as he still has crutches from his cut foot. We signed a release form, provided out contact information and 1 minute in front of the camera to answer (1) who were we (2) where were we from (3) why we would be good candidates and (4) why we wanted to be on the Amazing Race.

That was it, the folks working there seemed to be all temp hires, so there was no information on what to expect next.
    I guess someone producer will watch all the interviews and if any spark an interest they will flag them, don’t expect to hear anything more, but it was a fun day and got to talk and meet some nice folks.

For August I did mostly good, did not log food for the last two days of the month, as I know I overate. As for exercise and my steps, I give myself an A. For September, I am going to keep my same goals (1) log my food (2) drink my water (3) 14000 steps per day (4) cardio 5x per week. I see the link for the strength training and will look into it as that is something I am not doing enough of.

:smile: Sandy – thanks for asking, got all of the blood cleaned up in the house, still need to put some more work into the floor mat in the car. I love cooking in my crockpot, your chicken stew sounded wonderful. Congratulations on your weight loss, you are doing so well.
    :smile: Michele – your cake looks so cute.
    :smile: Cheryl – my thoughts are with you, I hope things begin to settle down for you. I’ve been thinking about your son and hope counseling helps. I had never heard of that app, what a crazy world we live in.
    :smile: Meg – your NSV made me laugh.
    :smile: Joyce – so glad you toenail removal was an easy experience. I had to have mine done many years ago and the doctor made it a horrible experience. Was one of the post painful things I can remember, but like you said, it was the doctor that made the experience.

Have a lovely Monday,
    Suzy
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am new and not too sure I know what to do, but...I am ready and committed. :smile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Labor day!!
    Welcome all you new people.
    HUGS
  • etak17
    etak17 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi All! :happy:

Been reading, not posting. So sorry for everyone who is going through difficult times. Happy for those who are doing well. Welcome to new folks.

I'm actually packing for our 1 month scooter vacation, but I wanted to pop in and say hello. I doubt I'll be able to check in too often when we're on the road. We were going to start today, but heavy rains are forecast so we're leaving tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Most likely I won't be able to log on vacation either, but I'll probably try, as it's pretty ingrained now. That's one thing I'm good at - I always log everything, even though I frequently go over my calorie goal. That's ok as I'm still slowly losing and am close to my goal weight.

August goals (with update):
    Couch to 5 K minimum of 3x/week. (Try to complete program.) Update: Did not get back to it. But when I get back from vacation, I will, and my daughter and I are going to find a 5K.
    Limit significant overeating/binging to 1 day/week maximum. Update: Pretty good. 1-2 days/wk overeating, but no more than 1 day binging.
    Start strength training. Update: nope. This will need to wait until I get back from vacation.
    Make 3 phone calls. Update: made 3 phone calls, substituted email for one (not the best way, but at least I made contact)
    Post on this thread at least 2x/week, including a weekly update on my goals. Update: 50%: I may have averaged 1/wk, and I think this is my 2nd update.

September goal:
    Eat as well and healthily as possible while on the road!

Love to all,
    Kate in Brooklyn:flowerforyou:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone,

A quiet Labor Day here...........zero plans, except to made a couple loafs of banana bread and investigate watermelon salad recipes. Maybe wander down the block and play a game of Scrabble with a friends' mother.

Saw a bunch of names of people I know in the paper as winners and seconds in their age groups in the half marathon of yesterday; a good friend came in first in the 65-69 group..........I always tell her she's my hero. No women entered at all in 80 and above, but plenty of men; what's up there? I should talk; never ran a block in my life, and wouldn't know any of these people if not for my runner daughter. Knew some of the younger ones too........that comes from years of volunteering at h.s. cross country meets. I was always curled up with a book, so YAY for all of them!!!!

OK......as for goals; got thrown off a bit with the death of my friends son the beginning of Aug. Reached goal the middle of July.; now the game is staying there. I am 1 lb. above goal and 3 lbs. higher than my lowest. So........that's not bad at all.

Old goals
    wear pedo.........pretty consistent
    6,000 steps a day...........mostly
    gym: tai chi, yoga, lifting, exercise class............made it at least 2-3 times a week, sometimes two trips to gym a day
    elephant challenge...........ended up lifting 3 of 'em!!!!
    fish 4 x's/wk............not even close
    colonoscopy..........blew that one again

I'll keep these goals and replace the elephant one with the new gym challenge. Will also try to remember to post on the lifting thread too
    I'm doing it, just not being very good at recording.

yanniejannie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Connie from SC: We have 8th grade in common. I retired from teaching 8th grade social studies a couple of years ago. Welcome to the group.:flowerforyou:

Deanna: Bump is used when we want to be able to find our place in the thread at the times we’ve read posts but don’t have the ability to respond. Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Genealace: Memorial Day is in May in the US, which makes a 40 pound weight loss reasonable and doable. I don’t think it could be done in a healthy way by November.:noway:

Michele: in NC: I don’t know how you manage to do so much. I’d be more than a little tired. Fatigue makes me vulnerable to cravings, too. Hope you rest well.:flowerforyou:

Pam in OK: I hope you’re able to get your health problems handled. They could explain your lack of recent success in losing weight. When I’m not feeling well my food discipline seems to evaporate.:angry:

Tracy 7847: I’m impressed that you’ve been able to lose 115 pounds on your own. Knowing you wrote down meals explains a lot about how you did it. You’ve found a nice group of women, here. Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Reveille is the exact right song to wake the campers. It is used by the US military and untold numbers of American camps as a wake up call. I understand there is a Scottish wake up song with the same name. www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGnZxcS7VKA :wink:

Sandy K in Central OH: Welcome back.:flowerforyou:

My scales showed a new low this morning after a long period of stalling out. I’m only down 1/2 pound, but I’m down. Yay! I don’t have far to go until I reach the goal MFP set for me, just a bit over 5 pounds more. I remember reading that weight loss tends to slow as you near your goal. I finally got enough energy to resume more active exercising, and I think that is the reason I’m finally seeing a little movement. The added water probably plays a part, too. I hope all of you who have a holiday today think about how important labor is in our economy and tell your elected officials to make job creation in the US a priority. I try to buy American made products as much as possible as my contribution to this situation. Ironically, Walmart has more American made products than most places but treats its workers poorly, and Costco has a huge percentage of imported products and treats its employees very well. Being proactive can be confusing.:wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

September goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • 82kpohl
    Options
    Wow! Most of u r really energetic and successful in losing . Are there any ladies out there that r senior and not so energetic? I joined in July and lost 5 lbs but have put 1 lbs back on and because of joint probs cannot do much walking. Any advice for a "newbie" ? 82kpohl
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    I am new and not too sure I know what to do, but...I am ready and committed. :smile:

Wow! Most of u r really energetic and successful in losing . Are there any ladies out there that r senior and not so energetic? I joined in July and lost 5 lbs but have put 1 lbs back on and because of joint probs cannot do much walking. Any advice for a "newbie" ? 82kpohl

:flowerforyou: take it one day at a time....don't try to change everything and learn everything immediately

:flowerforyou: be content with baby steps

:flowerforyou: start by planning your meals for today and logging them in your food diary

:flowerforyou: get moving....if you already have an exercise program.....do it----if you don't, then go for a walk for as long as you feel comfortable

:flowerforyou: come back to this thread and read all the posts since you last posted and reply to something or tell us how your day went

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: never, never, never give up

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where we were surprised by rain this morning.

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif