WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn on this wet,damp day in Ohio. read most of the posts,but don't remember many names to post back.Sometimes I wonder where my mind went. :grumble:

Joyce,that is so sad for you & MIL.Went thru it with my Mom.Thank heaven for my Bro.He was retired early due to an accident ,so not in good health.Still,he went to Mcdonalds for coffee,to donut shop & on to nursing home to share with Mom just about every day.I usually went during lunch in case she needed any help,then a short walk on the grounds.After brushing her hair,she was ready for her nap.A lot of good memories & I wish the same for you.It's been 3 yrs & we still miss Mom.

Thanks all for suggestions to lose weight.I have several medical problems that limits anything but water aerobics.Don't use water gloves as was mentioned,but do use water shoes.Walking is slow & slower,not sure what benefits I get? Not sure why/ how MFP has made a difference in this attempt to get healthier,but it has.I'm in it for the long haul,so even if I don't lose much,that is ok.This body will do what it wants......such a different mind set! Time to make a breakfast shake,then get this day started.

Have a great Saturday,Patceoh
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great sat!Going to see my almost 1 year old GD.Having a cookout at my son`s.
    Hope everyone is doing ok.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Michele – don’t worry, I still get to move some rocks. When we started the project in 2011, we did not purchase enough egg rock and ended up using the larger ‘slicks’ to hold down some drainpipe in one part of the yard. Now those will have to be picked UP before the additional egg rock goes down, and then placed wherever we decide afterwards. So it is only a temporary pass for me, not a full pardon!

Sandy – 80-85 degrees indoors? I would have to move. Goodness! We have our thermostat at 68 degrees during the day in the winter, and at 65 for sleeping. Since my heart surgery heat bothers me way more than cold, so the A/C is set at 75 degrees these days, instead of the 80 it used to be.

Rory – hope you’ll let me know sometime when you travel to Atlanta. And how nice of you to provide a nice cool spot for the cat to hang out!

RE: PDAs – my DH also was not raised in an affectionately demonstrative family, so I just tell him I need a hug, etc. He has come a long way, though, in our 40 years together. I am definitely the hands-on one! My parents or siblings never walked through a room or passed by us without an acknowledgment, pat on the head, etc., so I am very much that way and still have that relationship with my siblings though we are spread around the country these days.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Gail, metro ATL
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, Ladies! I hope everyone is well and has great, fun things to do today!

I and three friends are going over to a Farmer's Market on the other side of Tucson because they are inviting vendors from Hatch, NM to bring their chiliis and chili products to sell. We are taking a van so that we can bring our haul home! :laugh: Those of you from anywhere near the SW know how yummy Hatch chilis are. It should be a good day.

The week has been ok with food, but still no exercise. I don't know what it is, but I have absolutely no motivation towards exercise right now. Of course, the fact that the artritis has been particularly nasty lately doesn't help. :sad: The ankle cracks, scrapes together and swells. I do not want to be the "old, crippled lady hitting people with her cane to get them out of her way", but that is just how I feel right now.
    OK- I admit, I only, sometimes, Want to hit people w/ my cane, I never really have done it.

Suzy- I will try to post some cards pics, but I am not very computer-savy. I am much better playing w/ paper, scissors and crayons! :laugh:

Joyce- I am so sorry that you are struggling with grief and loss. I am praying that you will be comforted by Our Lord and his great love for you. Take this one step at a time, and remember that you can not walk through someone else's pain, they must deal with it in their own way, you can only take care of your own.

CWS- Breaking that food as comfort in times of stress cycle is really hard! I, too, struggle w/ it and consider it a major victory if I reach for the sugar snap peas or fruit instead of processed sugar, salt & fat. Hopefully, we can reach the next step which might be actually dealing with what is stressing us out. We can work towards it together.

Grandmallie- Those exercise calories are yours to use, they have been earned and are not "bad". How did your foot feel after the walk? Last night I ended up taking 1/2 of an oxycodone because my knee and ankle were so swollen and sore. Take care of your poor heel.
    Happy Anniversary- I bet everyone at work was awed by your loving hubby. :love: :flowerforyou:

Rori- What is it with cats and sinks? All of my cats have found them comfortable, I don't get it. Mars is a beautiful cat.

Katla- Have a wonderful weekend! :drinker:

Well- I had better get moving. Lots to do before I can actually leave the house. Have a great day, everyone & Be Happy!

Pat (Phoo in AZ)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

Thanks all for suggestions to lose weight.I have several medical problems that limits anything but water aerobics.Don't use water gloves as was mentioned,but do use water shoes.Walking is slow & slower,not sure what benefits I get? Not sure why/ how MFP has made a difference in this attempt to get healthier,but it has.I'm in it for the long haul,so even if I don't lose much,that is ok.This body will do what it wants......such a different mind set! Time to make a breakfast shake,then get this day started.

Have a great Saturday,Patceoh

Patceoh: DH has MS and can't exercise on a regular basis. He's been on this MFP adventure with me from the beginning and has also lost weight. Exercise makes the loss faster, but it isn't required. Be patient with yourself and the process.:flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We're off on our weekend adventure. I need to pack the food and clothes, load the boat and we'll go. It isn't raining right now, but I'm sure we'll get wet along the way. No internet available, so I'll log my food but won't be posting. I hope everyone has a great weekend.:heart:

I almost forgot to report this--I dropped below 150 this morning. 149.6! Yay. 4.4 pounds to goal.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I can't even guess how many years it has been since I've been this low.
  • cws4me
    Options
    Yesterday I had a day where I was tired, upset with BF and realized I had a lot to do this weekend. Not good when you have had a busy week. Anyway, I went to the movies and I did what I sometimes do and that is eat whatever I wanted. However, as bad as that was, I feel ok today. Today is another day and I will have to watch carefully what I eat. I guess I was just craving the food I hadn't had in a while. Well, I decided to stop punishing myself for yesterday and focus on that I still lost about 3 lbs for the week. It would have been more I am sure, but I have this week to catch up on that weight loss.
  • cws4me
    Options
    Yesterday I had a day where I was tired, upset with BF and realized I had a lot to do this weekend. Not good when you have had a busy week. Anyway, I went to the movies and I did what I sometimes do and that is eat whatever I wanted. However, as bad as that was, I feel ok today. Today is another day and I will have to watch carefully what I eat. I guess I was just craving the food I hadn't had in a while. Well, I decided to stop punishing myself for yesterday and focus on that I still lost about 3 lbs for the week. It would have been more I am sure, but I have this week to catch up on that weight loss.

Goodmorning to everyone and I hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. It feels like being a part of a family. Thank you all.

Grandmalle - such a sweet gesture from your DH. Congratulations. So nice to love and be loved.

Katia - Have a nice trip snug as a bug in your boat! Sounds so cozy.

Phoo5 - enjoy your friends and farmers market and chili - what a nice adventure.

Rori - your cat bed is darling.

To all that are traveling, have fun this weekend. To those that are hurting, may you find peace and comfort.

It's been raining here in California. The sun is peeking out now and it feels clean and fresh and calm. My fur child wants to sit on my computer. Must give him his well earned adoration.

Best wishes to all,
    Paula in SF Bay area
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had to get my teeth cleaned in the bigger town 30 miles away, and it messed up my whole day. I never did get to the gym. But I ran some errands while I was there. My good deed for the day was buying a big bag of dog food and taking it to the shelter. And I took some stuff to the Habitat ReStore. At Walmart I found some tshirts on clearance for $3, but they didn't gave any that were 3X so I picked up two that were 2X size. I figured I sould shrink into them at some point. But this morning I tried one on and it fit! So today I'm wearing my tiny little 2X tshirt and my tiny little size 20 yoga pants. I'm finally feeling like all this effort is making a difference! When I look in the mirror I think I can truly see a difference. Finally! I'm still in the morbidly obese range though, but making progress.

This morning we went to the pool and then went to Home Depot. I bent down to read something on the bottom shelf and very nearly passed out. Every since I have felt pretty crummy. Lightheaded and weak. I was worried that it was my heart, but it finally occurred to me that I only got 700 calories yesterday, so maybe I am just hungry. So I ate some chicken and beans for lunch. That ought to help but tonight I'm having steak on the grill. Yippee!

Bruno went with me to the studio this morning to meet with a lady who wants me to make a platter for a wedding. He was so sweet and friendly. Our other dog can't go to the studio because she barks and growls at people. So I am committed to getting back in the studio to work this week.

Our cable box seems to be on the fritz, so we only have three channels that work. The weather channel, an old movie channel, and one of the political arguing channels. My poor hubby is so sad. He loves his tv. They are coming to fix it on Monday. I remember growing up with just three channels, and we survived.

I hope everybody is having a great weekend!

Sylvia
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    newyard_zps766e0a1e.jpg

never have to mow again and no muddy boys. :bigsmile:

You can still see the stacks of blocks for my unfinished planter that I started several years ago. :blushing:

Have a great day ladies.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    soon to be very wet PNW
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    MY guests have left and all went well. The food was enjoyed by all and the baby behaved herself. She never smiles though.
    I feel incredibly tired. Didn't sleep well in anticipation of their coming. I am sure they had a good time though and the baby loved DH, of course. I am recording my favourite TV programmes as I don't think I can keep awake.

We went on a walk in the pm so I ended up with 750 exercise calories to eat today. Spent some of it on wine and really enjoyed my evening meal. Of course I got the "you don't need to lose any more weight" comments. I am really only fine tuning now, but I know there is a bit of fat hanging around my middle. My body fat is still in the upper range of acceptable for my age. My focus is mainly on strength training and fitness now, but a few more lbs will make dress sizing easier. I do not know exactly where I will stop. Everyone says I look very healthy. Maybe that's the face exercises! ! :laugh:

I think I have decided on the furry boots for my birthday present. Will order them tomorrow.

DS rang to say they have had the final checks and are all set for the caesarean on Monday. Not sure exactly when. We are scheduled by him to go up to see my new granddaughter on Thursday. Fab!
    DH slept with his pills last night. Was good today. Me one knackered lady. :happy:

Bye for now, love Heather UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Just got back from the Y. Since I rode 7.75 miles on the recumbent bike the other day I was determined that I would get past that. So I got to 8 miles and knew that I still had some energy left in me. So I set the tension up to 5 and rode .5 miles more! 8.5 miles in 56 minutes. I know to some of you that's tiny but when I started at the Y it was an effort to go 1 mile. I knew that I had to go to Sams on my way home so I stopped. I think the whole city was there. I had to park waaay out. I just wish my pedometer and and the machines settings showed the same thing. Pedometer said 2.5 miles and 500 calories. Machine showed 8.5 miles and 200 calories.

Husband and I are doing OK today. I face book messaged my BIL's daughter yesterday seeing if she had a phone number for her Dad. Wanted to see if it was the same number I did. She didn't, hadn't talked to him in years and wished that she did have a relationship with him but he is cold to her. She asked if it would be OK for her to go out and see her Grandma. I offered to go with her but she wanted too do it by herself. I hope I can develope a relationship with this woman. she is so, so different that the rest of the family.

Joyce
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all. It’s a pretty day here and I’m watching the Nebraska football game. We’re winning but South Dakota is playing well. I went to diabetes class and came home overwhelmed! But I do get to cut my blood glucoses down to twice a day now, so that’s good.

On the bad end, I missed my depo shot last week when we were out of town and now guess what???? Oh yeah bleeding like a teenager with the cramps to boot. GRRRRRRR

We texted Tanya (DD#1) to tell her what restaurant we were going to tomorrow and she replied that her BF had already made plans for tomorrow. After several texts it turns out she had never told him about going out even though she and I made these plans last Sunday. What the…..well I’m not sure why I was surprised, she obviously communicates as well with him as she did with us. So she asked if we could go next week and we agreed only if she told BF right now about the plans. We have been on her case forever about her poor communication skills and this is why.

Michele: how late in the year do your markets go? Ours go through mid October.

Rori: love the pic. That’s what our house looks like too!

Katla: enjoy your trip with your boating friends! Congrats on the wonderful weight loss!

Patceoh: you have such a great attitude about eing at peace with what happens

Pat I have recently seen “Hatch cheddar cheese” around here but haven’t tried it yet

CWS: that’s the right way to approach lapses. I find that if I beat myself up for them I do worse. One day does not a lifestyle
    make!

Paula: glad you got some refreshing rain. I can hardly work at home for the three cats who want to sit on my arms on over they keyboard

Sylvia: hooray for the tiny little clothes!!!!! I hope food was the issue and not something worse. Take care

Heather: glad your company visit went well. I imagine some comments about your weight may seem intrusive but I really think people are trying to be kind and in a backwards way they are saying you look good!!!

Joyce your patience with your family is amazing. You are to be commended!

OK I am heading back to the game now. Take care and enjoy the evening. Meg from sunny Omaha
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening, ladies,

Well, I got almost everything done yesterday except.............you guessed it---the bike ride......it got too dark, too early. I did stop and see my friend who had the son killed in the car accident last month for about 2hrs. after being down the stables (couldn't find what I was there for and forgot to take the treats to animal control when I dropped off the newspapers).

Gardengail............I would love to meet you and the rest of our Ga. women, and, for a second, thought it might be possible. Then I looked at the calendar and realized I have a fundraising trail ride that weekend. I don't ride but I'll be checking horse paperwork and riders, etc. A fun day, but long. Nice to know you are so close to my friend Karen, and maybe I will make it down there and get to meet you one of these days.

Suzy.........Hope you did have nice weather to go for your pumpkins, fruit and veggies!

Grandmallie..........How nice of your dh!!!!!

Sandy.......Not sure what a smart meter is but good luck with it.....

Sue........How absolutely wonderful that you are back in the saddle again!!!! Have fun!!

Rori.........Love the new sink and the kitty.....I miss having a cat, but dh is allergic.

Katla........Hope you are enjoying your sail and your back is better. Congrats on the scale!

Pat...I was just reading about the famous Hatch chillis the other day...........

Sylvia......2X...YAY for you!!! I'd be at home there; I adore the Weather Channel; people tease me, but I think Jim Cantore is just fine!!!

Up early today and out by 7 to set up a for a 5K; just a small local one. Afterward, managed to fall flat on my face---stepped in a hole---skinned knees, jammed my left wrist and shoulder, and have a he!! of a headache--but, of course, all I was worried about at the time was who saw me fall. Took some Tylenol and had a nap; bit less pain now, but I think tomorrow may be interesting.

All for now,
    yanniejannie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    evening friends,
    busy day today..did ok and walked at 5;30 this morning, and heel felt well!!yahhhhh.then went to work, didn't get out of there until 12:30, then from there to my FIL .then back home in between took the dogs for 2 walks, then out for pizza.. it was yummy:happy: , then back home and took the boys for a walk around the block, now sitting and having a cup of tea..
    tomorrow, is get up early, walk, go grocery shopping, come home and put it away, then go to the gym, then come home and cook. and scrub the side of the house where my hummingbird feeder dripped on the siding..
    i did put my regular window feeder up because it is getting to get a bit nippy, and want the birdies to be able to have some sunflower seeds to eat...
    hope everyone is enjoying there weekend:bigsmile:
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Meg - I am not so sure your DD is the only teen or young adult with poor communication skills.:noway: I've just accepted that fact that both my kids are not great communicators, it doesn't mean I have given up reminding them

yanniejannie - I'm glad you are ok, sounds like a nasty fall. Take care of yourself

grandmallie - you are one busy lady, I'm exhausted just reading everything you do in a day

I went to aquafit this morning and once again I'm surprised at what a workout it is. :laugh: I went to pick up some more yoga pants as they seem to be the only thing that allow me to shrink and not fall down. I bought a 2x, when I started this journey in Jan I was wearing a 4x/5x. I was so excited because there was a very minimal .2 loss this week. I wasn't really expecting one because I've really begun the strength training this past week.

I'm going to aquafit tomorrow morning. It's fun and doesn't feel like a workout.

Have a great evening.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congrats to everyone who is fitting in smaller clothes…..it has been my experience that the best victories have been the ones that I notice myself rather than what anyone else says…..I can count on myself to be a good cheerleader but friends often say the wrong things.

:flowerforyou: I have been lax about working on my yard project so today I resolved to make it my number one priority. I went out as early as I could after the morning dog walk and early morning meeting. I planned to work until lunch time, then eat lunch and return to work, but about five minutes before my planned lunch break, it began to rain and didn’t stop for hours. I made a lot of progress and am hopeful that there won’t be rain tomorrow morning.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I used my afternoon for chores and a two hour nap which should allow me to get up early tomorrow feeling rested and ready to work more in the yard.

:heart: Barbie from rainy NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

21,000 steps today
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Rori - yes, it is a 1:1 switch of oil and tofu. Loved the cat in the sink!!!!

katla - That's one of the reasons I give things away -- I don't want to eat it all myself! Have fun on your cruise. Congrats on the wonderful loss. So close to goal you can almost taste it (and it doesn't even have calories!)

Gail - Vince just said to me today that he'd like to put rock down on the side of the new garage mainly because if he's not real careful near the drainpipes, they'll get scratched. I don't think I'll have a problem with that. He thinks that if we are able to finish behind the old retaining wall then we can use up the rock on the side of the garage. Looks like under the deck will be done next year. Oh lucky me, I get to haul more rock!

Sylvia - the other day I went to the Habitat Restore. Well, really, we had the Busy Hands group meeting, but I stopped in there because they were having 50% off everything. I found another large coffee pot (makes something like 32 cups) for $4. Good for you getting to wear that shirt. See, you never know.

Robin - that "grass" looks lovely

Joyce - absolutely awesome ride! So proud of you

Meg - sorry you missed your shot -- but look on the bright side. With the cramps you probbly aren't interested in eating much! Our farmer's markets go until mid October, but I usually don't go that late only because there really isn't much that I'm interested in. I'm not interested in flowers or baked goods or crochet items. I go to yoga right after the market so I really don't want to buy meats, etc that need refrigeration. So that cuts out a lot of the market. I'll probably go until they no longer have the red okra. I'm constantly in awe, too, of Joyce and everything she does for her family.

Well, they had an open house at the Y today so that means that the yoga class would be shortened so I did a yoga DVD at home. Then I went to the farmer's market, only got some red okra, the guy with the great cantaloupes didn't have any this week. Then I went to one store to get some marshmallows and evaporated milk that I needed. One guy at the farmer's market told me not to refrigerate my okra, that it would turn brown in the refrig. That's never happened to me but if it'll keep in the pantry, I'll go for it. Came home and made Pete an applesauce butterscotch cake. You're supposed to put the butterscotch chips on top. Instead I made a butterscotch-type of icing for the top. I did find out that butterscotch chips don't melt as quickly as chocolate chips. Oh well.... then I made fudge for Vince (tried a new recipe) and these chocolate cookies to put in the lunchbox that I'll send to Denise. Tomorrow I want to make more soup to have in the freezer. Went to church but left early so I could have dinner and make Vince's dinner. Then I'm ushering at the Green Room and, hopefully, seeing "Hairspray".

yanniejannie - OUCH!!!!

Michele in NC
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies. Today I went to a cooking class at Sur La Table on how to make macaroons. It was so much fun and I learned why my previous attempts always looked so bad. DH loved the extras I brought home. They looked beautiful and tasted even better.

After the class I did a lot of shopping. For the first time in such a long time most everything I tried on actually looked good. I did weed out a number of items but decided to bring the rest home to get DH's opinion. Even though I told him I knew most was going back he still got on my case...ugghhh. I was nervous checking out because I worried he would react first and listen second, but I also work really hard and don't spend nearly what my friends do - I just wanted him to be happy at my success and a bit more supportive...trusting me when I said I was returning a lot of it. Oh well, I should know better. He is a wonderful man, but spending money is a sticking point with him. Sorry for the vent, but feels good to get it out and now I can let it go...thanks for listening

Well off to bed, hoping I can catch up on a lot of your posts during football tomorrow.

Hope all are doing well, sending hugs to those who need one and congrats to all those with successes

Jodios in it really feels like fall N. Il