New me in '23

Options
I'm Tim - going to be 65 in a few days and have given myself a very ambitious goal that I call "over 60, under 10": over 60 years old, under 10% body fat.

Big believer in the maxim "If you believe you can, you might do it - if you believe you can't you definitely won't do it.

I had both knees replaced in the Fall of '21 and spent last year rehabbing and getting into the best shape I've been in since, well, ever. Body fat is still at 28%, though, so I'm in the gym for an hour every day and getting back onto a good eating program.

I have been working with a college friend who lost almost 200# using Lee Labrada's Weight Challenge program so that's what I'm working with: daily lifting in the gym and kind of a portion control/keto diet. Getting aggressive this year!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tim!

I don't know anything about the weight challenge program you mention, but I do know that to lose fat (and weight) you just have to maintain a caloric deficit. The best way to succeed and to keep it off is to go slow. It's also best to only adopt methods that you are willing to keep up for the rest of your life.

Ten percent body fat is indeed an ambitious goal. Have you consulted your doctor about that? How did you come up with that goal? While 28% clearly gives you some room for improvement, getting to 10% for us older folks may not be the best for our bodies and our overall health. Just be careful and set tough but attainable goals and don't get frustrated when things aren't always going the way you want.

There's some groups here for us middle-age and older folks trying to get to lower body fat percentages. I'm not quite as old as you, and 17% is a good goal for me.