Starting Off Slow

Options
Mucho Gusto!

I’m pretty sedentary I think, and my job contains a lot of sitting with short walks back and forth. I’m also studying to further advance my career, so that’s a lot of sitting at a computer or in class as well.

Right now I’ve been trying to only focus on steps and trying to hit a daily goal with step count. I don’t think I will have much time to go to a gym as both work and school are full time (+).

The plan is to start doing small short workouts I can do at home for 15-20 minutes between homework assignments, and to start taking my bike to work as it gets warmer outside (-2* outside right now!). I’m thinking I will do a workout plan on the app and incorporate some other workouts from Instagram or other outlets.

I am still going to try to take the stairs at school, and increase step count at work/home.I will be taking small steps to accomplish this.

What source does everyone get their home workouts from? Does anyone have a favorite short workout they would like to share?

Thank you for your time!

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good start!

I used to use YouTube etc to find home workouts, but I've decided most of those are really not for me. At the moment I have to work around my baby's sleep schedule so I don't have as many opportunities for formal exercise as I would like (in my case an indoor bike and runs once the spring comes.) I also discovered to my surprise a few years ago I enjoyed lifting. I started out doing bodyweight only (there are some great pinned threads on this) and hope to get back to it once she reliably sleeps through the night and I am more or less guaranteed a decent stretch of time in the mornings (probably in the next couple of months - keeping my fingers crossed for this much sought after milestone!)

In the meantime, though, I can get in a lot of movement just doing the kind of things you are doing. I live in an area where I can walk to a lot of things unless the weather is too treacherous. I park far away when I have to drive somewhere. I take stairs (my house has a lot and I'm constantly using them.) Walking is fantastic and I like the fresh air even if it's cold. Building more movement naturally in your day is an excellent habit!
  • elizabethpikalek
    elizabethpikalek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips on the pinned threads! I am going to read about the workouts they have so I can see where I can start from, I bookmarked them. There is so much info in all the discussions posted!

I agree on the cold air walks, I walk my dog daily but she’s older so we slowly go a short distance so she can sniff everything. Biking in the cold wind bites too much for me.

I moved my study area to the attic to use the stairs more, but I could also take my dog more frequently, too.

Thank you for your helpful and considerate advice!