Community is my best chance of success and feeling like I belong

Options
CW: 198lbs
GW: 112lbs (-86lbs)
Goal date: End of year 2023
Height: 5ft 3in

Hello there! Lifelong weight hater, long time MFP member, first time community engager. I've been on MFP more times than you can shake a stick at and started again this week. Admittedly, the same struggles popped up within two days but something different shifted for me this morning when I realised that community is the best chance of success and feeling like you belong.

I've spent the last couple of hours reading posts and commenting because the penny dropped - weight loss can be a lonely journey and it has been for 30+ years (my mother took me to a doctor when I was 8 to tell me I was overweight and not like the other kids my age... fun times... queue mental scarring). As a consequence, I've never been open about my weight despite it being fairly obvious to look at me and I'm only just starting to be honesty with myself and others... Step 1 - show up.

At my lightest (not counting 8 year old me who weight 8 stone) in my teens and 20s I was about 10stone and I think I'm now at my heaviest despite maintaining my heaviest weight for nearly 3 years!!! If I can maintain it, I can lose it!! I know from decades of experience that hiding from myself and others doesn't work, so here I am in all my MFP glory (sounding like something out of Notting Hill the movie :D ) ready to get stuck in and show up. Oh and exercise... yeah, that!!

Lets go get it people!!!
x

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to MFP and welcome to Community.

Keep participating; maybe that will help you feel like you belong here. Much success on your journey to a better you.

What goals are you setting for the next three months?
  • HumanoidTowers
    HumanoidTowers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks @mtaratoot :# Good question. I hadn't set any 3 month goals but it makes sense to do just that so I'll get on that this morning :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    @HumanoidTowers

Yay! I think it's an excellent idea. It gives you a target to aim for that isn't over the next mountain range but instead is actually within sight.

I wish you success in finding a good goal and then moving consistently towards it with only minor setbacks along the way, and I am sure you'll just ignore those setbacks and keep moving towards that goal.

Yay!