WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Katla- I have been in your kids predicament though it was after my dad passed..
    Although I did do alot of caretaking of both him and my in laws over the years.
    It was not easy by any means and I was stretched thin between work,my 2 kids,there schooling,taking care of a household and a husband..
    But I did my best and tried to do it with grace and dignity to all involved.. I can only hope that if and when my time comes my children will do the same.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Word of the year: APPRECIATE; today I appreciate my journal.
    #2 Practice fairness today by putting yourself in someone else’s shoes: I did this with a camper who I received complaints about. I put myself in his shoes when speaking with him. He was a very lonely man who only had his dogs (one barking, one loose) and the people he meets at campgrounds. Made me more compassionate when talking to him about the dogs.

#3 Watch a movie that reminds you of kindness. I watched the Adam Project.
    #4 Take a picture of 3 things that make you happy. Send them to a friend. Done!
    #5 Be kind to yourself. Self-compassion is equally important. Will do today.
    #6 Start a conversation with someone new. I do this every day with the campers!
    #7 Consider a current struggle. Write down 2 thoughts that give you comfort. My dog Brownie’s heart trouble. Her spells are getting worse and there is nothing the vet can do. Comforting thoughts—She lived a good life with us. She brought us many days of comfort and enjoyment with her loving attitude.
    #8. Consider and celebrate diversity today. I am a white girl living among darker Mexicans and native Americans. Campers come from around the world and love to hear the accents and learn about the different cultures i come into contact with. Do this every day!
    #9. Identify a role model who embodies perseverance. Can you find two ways to emulate them? My 30 year old autistic nephew. He never gives up no matter what health challenge he faces. I can emulate him by not complaining about every little ache and pain, and by doing what needs to be done to get through any health issues that may come up.
    #10. Check an item off your to-do list this weekend. Working on my taxes.
    #11. Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver the meal to a friend. We give food to people all the time. My DH cooks and we give food to different campers and workers here at the park almost every day!
    #12. Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused. Done
    #13. Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness? After I bough myself a Sonic blast to ‘cool down’.
    #14. Express creativity by making art or cooking a new meal. I write in a journal that has writing prompts I have to make up stories for. Yesterday I wrote a short story about a dog leash!
    #15. If you are waiting in line today, let someone get in front of you. May not be today, but i did do it on Sunday!
    #16. The next time someone does something you appreciate, be sure to let them know. Will do! Didn’t have the opportunity but will watch for a chance today!
    17. Offer a helping hand to someone, such as holding a door for a stranger. I may have a chance today.
    #18. Share about a recent book you read and what you learned. I just finished reading ‘Everything You Are’ by Kerry Anne King. It dealt with alcoholism, recovery, death, and grieving. I learned that no matter where you are in life, never give up and find a way to celebrate life.
    #19. Show sincere appreciation when someone serves you food or drink. Did this today. DH made me pancakes and served me coffee this morning.
    #20. Complement someone today. Ideas include recognizing a great smile or earrings. Did this to a lady who looked angry and tired at Walmart today. Made her happy and smile.
    #21. When you recognize someone is struggling, offer words of support. I did that yesterday!
    #22. Ask for help. That’s a simple way to express bravery.
    #23. Encourage your teammates to utilize their unique strengths.
    #24. Reflect on the steps you have taken to achieve your past goals.
    #25. Express gratitude today by thanking someone.
    #26. Think about the upcoming work week. How can you apply teamwork?
    #27. Send or leave a handwritten thank you note to someone.
    #28. Giving constructive feedback is one way to ignite honesty.

RVRita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Katla - Big hugs for your loss of house and community. Getting old sucks. :# I hope you can find some new friends and enjoy your family and grandchildren. We have no friends locally, just family, and widespread friends I speak to on the phone. I don't feel lonely, though I would love a local friend. I'm seeing my old schoolfriends on Thursday up in London. I've known them 62 years. :o Many good wishes for you .

Love Heather ❤️ xxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Lisa ~ Your message about the two Indians is spot on.

Trying to get more fiber into our diet is difficult but that's what DH's dr has prescribed.

Carol in GA

Carol - I know, it can be a challenge upping the fiber. I'm kind of hitting it on all fronts. This is where I'm concentrating:

Fruits- Pears are very high in fiber, eaten with the skin. Like apples, skin on. A couple dried figs and/or dates and/or prunes for a snack. Of course, these are high in carbs, but they are natural carbs and not added sugars so for me, they are OK if I don't overdo it.

Veggies - salads, fibrous foods like kale. Avocadoes have a lot of fiber, and very healthy fat.

Nuts - Again, high in fat but lots of fiber.

High fiber "Keto" wraps - I go to the wrap and tortilla section at the grocery store, many of these have 10 or more grams of fiber, even the smaller & medium sized ones ones. My new favorite way to eat them is to pour a lightly scrambled egg or two into a a non stick skillet, put the lid on for it to "set up" like an omelet, plop a wrap on top, let it cook for another minute or two, then flip it and kind of brown/dry out the tortilla. Then I move it onto a plate, sprinkle with a little cheese or salsa, fold it over and there ya go. Sometimes I even wilt a little spinach or other veggie in the skillet first before I dump in the eggs.

Good luck to you. Some folks are unable to chew apples with the skin on and some salad greens. My DH had to have everything peeled.

Lanette B)

• SophieRosieMom
    edited February 2023
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Lanette- my leak under the sink was my faucet. So check that too, especially since you haven't used dishwasher.

Kylia - thank you! Good thought. I put a clean paper towel in the little wash pan under the garbage disposal and faucet and will check it daily to see if I can spot where the leak is coming from. My cleaner uses the faucet hose a lot, I normally don't, I just swish water around in the sink and wipe it out with a sponge. I'll have her keep an eye as well.

Something tells me this might have been a slow leak too. I'll put on my detective hat.

Congrats on your heart tests by the way. Crossing fingers there's nothing to worry about. :)

Lanette B)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Was it Debbie who mentioned doing piriformis stretches in the shower? Thank you so much, whoever it was. I have had dramatic improvement in flexibility, back/sciatic pain, sitting posture, and stride after just 2 weeks! Wow!

Karen in Virginia

Glad they help. Just a simple stretch but boy does it make a difference. You can do them out of the shower which I do before Zumba class if I remember or during the day if my back is acting up but in the hot shower is so much better. Combination of the hot massaging water with the stretches works great.
    Debbie

Could you re-explain how to do them in the shower?? I am also having that type of issue and would like some relief! I know about the ones that you do while you are laying down or sitting up but the shower one sounds like it would work well. What do you actually do?

The stretch I do in the shower is when you stand up, have your feet crossed and slowly bend and touch your toes, trade feet and do it again. Don't know the name of them, assumed that is the ones Karen was referring to.

Yes, these are the stretches I am referring to.

Be careful not to lose your balance!!!!

My shower has very good water pressure/temperature and is set on pulsating mode. I direct the water to hit my sacrum and mid-buttock and just surrender to the stretch while the hot water is hitting my piriformis area. I keep the front leg slightly relaxed and the rear leg straight. Then I switch my feet around and stretch the other side.

It’s a game changer.

gdvyktg1tplz.jpeg

Note: Water restrictors in shower heads will limit the force of the spray. It’s illegal to remove them in some states.

Yes, have to be extra careful to not loose your balance- I worry about that in my shower as it has glass doors- don't want to fall and break them or worse, get hurt and have to call for help

• dlfk202000
    Options
    Woke up a few extra times during the night. Kept going out trying to find our one cat that we let out during the day but have him inside every night. Never did find him but dh did when he went out at 8 to feed them(the last time I went out was 6:15). He said that a neighbors dog was chasing the cats yesterday evening so maybe they were hiding all night- never saw any of the three cats that are usually out there(two are neighborhood cats that stay here because they like all the food and attention)

Took son to the bank to get his cashier's check for the down payment on his car. Closed out a small account we had set up for him when he was little so that will go towards the down payment. He is paying half and financing half.
    While there and dh wasn't there, I took advantage of it and deposited more money into my secret account- haven't had a chance to put any in for quite a while so wanted to make sure it stays active.

They will go up at 11 to check out the car and if he likes it, will be bringing it home today. While they are there, I plan on going a little early and walking the wetlands a little longer than usual. If it gets too windy, I will cut it short. It is really sunny but breezy right now.

No idea on what I am doing for dinner. Thinking about trying to make some butternut squash ravioli(using wonton wrappers). Have never made them but have a squash I cooked last night to use up.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Jeepbarbie253
    Jeepbarbie253 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbiecat!

Funny you mention having friends in Peterborough that’s where I work and I live 35 north west of there in Bobcaygeon ! Snowing again today ! Looking forward to spring !
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Lanette - we also have POA for health, but this is an additional safeguard. As I don't currently have a POA I have had to write on the form that any subsequent POA should not take precedence. This is the definitive edition!!!! :p

My son rang me this afternoon, just as we were setting off to pick up Bea. He was hardly able to put two words together as they were so tired. Kids and them had been ill again, after we saw them. :o All exhausted.
    My DDIL was at the school to pick up Edie and they were going to the doctor after Edie 's cello. Bea was on good form! :p Went off to swimming happily. My son took my gluten free flour to make pancakes for Pancake Day when they get back tonight. :o
    Now it turns out we are having all of them here for Thursday evening while they have parents' evening at Max's school. I will just be getting back from London!!!
    And on Saturday they have a friend's 50th, so we are going to their apartment to babysit. There is an Asian restaurant in the building so we will get takeaway from them as a.treat. Plus it's 10% off for the block.
    They are both walking zombies with all the illness between them. Soooo tired. I remember those times. I went through total hell for a few years with my kids, and I only had two!
    Delighted we can be of help to the family. Our grandchildren are the hugest part of our lives.
    Of course, I didn't get a chance to have any kind of discussion about end of life with my son.

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Heather so cute- I wrote a Hiku in 3rd or 4th grade and I remember it to this day..
    We had a dog named Byit( I'll explain that at another time)
    My dog Byit was born in the spring.
    She grew to be a huge thing
    She ate a whale bone and I heard her grown
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
    So when my grandmother was pregnant with my mom she was reading my uncle the tale of Peter Rabbit and and he didn't like his name so one of his forest friends said well pick a name that you like and ask your friends to call you by it,so my uncle said to my grandmother well you can call the baby byit lol..
    So there is that ...yup a crazy little back story.. my grandpa was even funnier..
    Just waiting on Carmines bus.. and then off to the hairdressers.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,114 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

I ate 1073 calories today, and after dumbbells tonight I will have a deficit of 323. Yay!

I feel a migraine coming on, so I ate a little chocolate. Sometimes that helps. Coffee is better, but I don't want to be up all night.

And after surfing a bit, I realized my diet needs more fiber. So I added a scoop of acacia to my mango shake. Oops, I didn't log that yet.

I made a grocery run today. My list seemed way too short; we shall see what I missed.

Hugs to you all,
    Annie in Delaware
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Lisa ~ Your message about the two Indians is spot on.

Trying to get more fiber into our diet is difficult but that's what DH's dr has prescribed.

Carol in GA

Carol - I know, it can be a challenge upping the fiber. I'm kind of hitting it on all fronts. This is where I'm concentrating:
    Fruits- Pears are very high in fiber, eaten with the skin. Like apples, skin on. A couple dried figs and/or dates and/or prunes for a snack. Of course, these are high in carbs, but they are natural carbs and not added sugars so for me, they are OK if I don't overdo it.

Veggies - salads, fibrous foods like kale. Avocadoes have a lot of fiber, and very healthy fat.

Nuts - Again, high in fat but lots of fiber.

High fiber "Keto" wraps - I go to the wrap and tortilla section at the grocery store, many of these have 10 or more grams of fiber, even the smaller & medium sized ones ones. My new favorite way to eat them is to pour a lightly scrambled egg or two into a a non stick skillet, put the lid on for it to "set up" like an omelet, plop a wrap on top, let it cook for another minute or two, then flip it and kind of brown/dry out the tortilla. Then I move it onto a plate, sprinkle with a little cheese or salsa, fold it over and there ya go. Sometimes I even wilt a little spinach or other veggie in the skillet first before I dump in the eggs.

Good luck to you. Some folks are unable to chew apples with the skin on and some salad greens. My DH had to have everything peeled.

Lanette B)

I forgot beans and lentils! I try to eat some every day. :D

Lanette
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Quick exercising-stretching.

I follow these 2 folks on FB. Most days they have one post showing quick, non strenuous stretches or exercises, something to get warmed up for a minute or two and wake up some new muscles without overdoing it:

One is Petra Genco. She also has a YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/@petragenco/featured

The other one I like is WeShape. The guy on FB is really engaging and again, quick stretches or small exercises that can make a big difference. He also has a website - looks like he and his team run a business formulating on-line exercise programs.

https://www.weshape.com/

I know there are others, these 2 hold my interest right now.

Lanette B)

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Grudges

There is a huge difference between holding a grudge and feeling a resentful. A grudge implies vindictiveness, a belief that one will feel better when one shows the other person how angry one is, and a desire to pay the offender back.

A person may feel resentment or hurt but not hold a grudge. Alternative responses are: forgiving the other person, having a respectful discussion, or letting go of the resentment and/or hurt without addressing it with the other person.

Or...the hurt person might hold a grudge. But not necessarily.

Karen in Virginia

That is SO my dh. He holds grudges for years. Very much about pay back. He holds grudges for things that he THINKS someone has done intentially against him. The way he is with me is proof of that.
    If he could just let the little stuff go, it would be so much nicer for everyone.