Healthier Habits

Options
Hello, I am here to track and examine my habits. I want to continue the good ones and learn to improve the others. I’m over 50 years old with arthritis and other aches and pains. Hoping to meet decent people and connect to share part of this journey.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

This is a good place to track and examine habits . . . then change them, in manageable increments, in positive ways.

A key step in doing that, IMO, is to log persistently and completely for at least a while, whether the day is good, bad, or even horrifying. Having a clear and honest picture makes it easier to see what's driving our bodyweight or other health issues. Calories, nutrition, sleep, stress, and more all interact in various ways, and logging helps highlight opportunities for improvement.

You're smarter than I was: I didn't join MFP until I was 59. For me, it has been a great tool. When I started losing weight, I was class 1 obese with high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, frequent pain and routine discomfort from arthritis and other musculoskeletal issues. Within a year, all of those things had turned a corner, bodyweight healthy, health markers normal, and pain/discomfort much reduced. Now, at age 67, still at a healthy weight, all of those things are still healthy, and increased strength and fitness have conspired with the lighter body to the point where joint pain is rare, and discomfort only occasional - way less than before.

For meeting decent people, may I suggest you check out some of the options in the Challenges part of the Community? Direct link here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

There are all kinds of options there, each with its own kind of mood or subculture - exercise, weight loss, weigh-ins, goal-setting, you name it. You can read the intro posts, join in on one or more that seem fun. That's a great way to meet like-minded people, and create a little support structure for yourself.

No matter what you decide, I'm wishing you success here - the results are worth it, IME. Best wishes!