Intermittent Fasting and Working out

Options
Hello all,
I've recently restarted IF 16/8 and it has helped me get past a plateau with my weight loss/fitness. My fasting begins at 9PM and ends at 1PM to correspond with my work hours-ish. Problem is, I was going to the gym in the morning around 9AM, and I find that I am light-headed doing the workouts I was doing without IF. Any tips on how to schedule IF and workouts? Anyone know of a pre-workout that doesn't break a fast or something I can take?
And feel free to add me, I'd love to have some more friends doing IF

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    Beneficial nutritional timing trumps meal timing in IF. I have a few friends who workout fasted and it doesn't seem to bother them, but I have to say they aren't making a lot of muscle or strength gains either from what I can see, but of course it all depends on a persons goals. I'm low carb but I do carb up when I workout (weight training) and it's important that we don't forget that being flexible in our beliefs is a good gatekeeper for dogma.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling woozy, eat something.

I always work out fasted because I tend to feel sick if I eat first, but everybody is different. One thing I have learned is that it's better to be flexible than too rigid and giving up because it's too hard to make it perfect. Whether that's adjusting your fasting hours or your workout schedule is up to you and depends on what your goals are. :)
  • Gold6767
    Gold6767 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling woozy, eat something.

I always work out fasted because I tend to feel sick if I eat first, but everybody is different. One thing I have learned is that it's better to be flexible than too rigid and giving up because it's too hard to make it perfect. Whether that's adjusting your fasting hours or your workout schedule is up to you and depends on what your goals are. :)

I always do cardio on empty for the same reason, I feel nauseous if eat beforehand. It's only certain workouts that I was light-headed, which happened when I first started working with a personal trainer even if I had eaten. Just trying to fine-tune my schedule to hit these final goals.
  • renrutmikfamily
    renrutmikfamily Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree that it depends on the workout. Also your hydration can contribute. Our body is often processing the digestion of the night before. We lay flat all night and it moves stuff around. Then we pop up and want to work out. But that’s when gravity is working it down. So it could be a digestion factor, a specific movement factor, hydration, lack of salt etc.
    I personally love IF because it gives me a clear head. When I eat in the AM I feel foggy and groggy. I prefer my workouts on an empty stomach. I’ve been nauseous after eating too. So, be aware of what you’re feeling and why. And then adjust accordingly