WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,976 Member
    Options
    There are two grandchildren she has never seen.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Same here.

But thankful for the one we do see.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,373 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding raised garden beds ... we've got a mixture of in-ground beds, raised garden beds, and pots containing various plants.

Behind Rhody, is a raised garden bed that came with the place. We've usually got potatoes or pumpkin or something in there. And you can see a couple pots. The one on the right contains a pear tree when it was young. There are now 2 pear trees and they are in plastic garbage bins because they're bigger.

The raspberries are all in pots.

We've also got three raised beds on the other side of the house where we've got snowpeas, carrots and broad beans.

And 3 up behind the hedge in the photo where cabbages and a few other things grow.

There's another raised bed that came with the place behind the greenhouse and we're trying tomatoes and something else ... squash maybe.

p0fiwmuozcgn.png

scef7ytuydlh.png

Machka in Oz

Machka - I LOVE your garden. Gives me lots of ideas, thank you!

I am intrigued by the raspberries in pots. Are they producing well? Did you use an all purpose potting soil? Are they heavy feeders?

Many years ago we tried dwarf blueberries in pots, they didn't do well - could have been the dirt, uneven watering, the fact that they were on the south side of our yellow house. It was a cooker there, lol.

I have a better place now for potted bushes.

Spring is around the corner. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,976 Member
    Options
    Regarding raised garden beds ... we've got a mixture of in-ground beds, raised garden beds, and pots containing various plants.

Behind Rhody, is a raised garden bed that came with the place. We've usually got potatoes or pumpkin or something in there. And you can see a couple pots. The one on the right contains a pear tree when it was young. There are now 2 pear trees and they are in plastic garbage bins because they're bigger.

We've also got three raised beds on the other side of the house where we've got snowpeas, carrots and broad beans.

And 3 up behind the hedge in the photo where cabbages and a few other things grow.

There's another raised bed that came with the place behind the greenhouse and we're trying tomatoes and something else ... squash maybe.

p0fiwmuozcgn.png

scef7ytuydlh.png

Machka in Oz

Machka - I LOVE your garden. Gives me lots of ideas, thank you!

I am intrigued by the raspberries in pots. Are they producing well? Did you use an all purpose potting soil? Are they heavy feeders?

Many years ago we tried dwarf blueberries in pots, they didn't do well - could have been the dirt, uneven watering, the fact that they were on the south side of our yellow house. It was a cooker there, lol.

I have a better place now for potted bushes.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Our blueberries in pots are doing great!

Our raspberries have grown like crazy this year (almost as tall as me now) but haven't produced yet. That is likely because my husband was confused by them. He has never worked with raspberries before, didn't water them enough at first, then pruned them way too hard. This summer he left them alone but just watered them more, and it has been a rainy year. So I am hoping for a crop next year.

We decided to grow them in pots when we saw that's how a raspberry farm here grew them.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,953 Member
    Options
    :)Lanette, we didn't like how old and weathered wooden fences and raised beds looked after only a year so we opted for the more expensive vinyl fence and raised beds. I don't know where we got our raised bed but we found them online. We keep our gardening simple partly because of our limited fondness for veggies and the limited growing season this far north.

:)Barbara, We have a very small yard and are surrounded by lots of tall trees so sunny spots are small in our yard. Two trees outside our fence were declared dangerous by the park management and cut down so we acquired some more sunny area . I planted zucchini around where the stumps remain and we put the two raised beds in our yard where we suddenly had more sunshine. The beds are small and fit perfectly into our simple life style.

<3Carol, Hugs, to you.

Barbie in NW WA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,071 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

We have a beautiful bright sunny day today, with some wind.

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    So I'm up and dressed and ready for taxes but my dad is sound asleep on the couch. I guess I will wait half an hour.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,594 Member
    Options
    myvt9v4crh wrote: »
    I have evidently had another mess. I am embarrassed again.

Katla49– (March 2) I have been happier thanks to Pip’s help & am very grateful. ❤️ 😊 ❤️. It is good to be back with my friends here.

This iphone may be part of the problem, as it is stuffed with photos and may need to be replaced. I’ll call my computer guru, aka my son, for help.

I will keep trying.

In order for you to delete this account, you have to know the password. Do you know it?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,594 Member
    Options
    Katla- I will write on here when I am ready for you to call me
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Thank you Karen. I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense. I figured that they wouldn't want to put up with horrible behavior, but I didn't know how they would go about getting rid of those types. Not the way I'd want my family member to be taken care of either, but geez, that woman is a PITA. Sorry Debbie.

Oh well geez, Rebecca, God forbid you make a comment about missing your own sailor! Isn't that part of you being supported too?

OMGosh, Ginny, I so agree. Beth's "Stuff just zaps my mental energy" hits a chord. And there's been so much "stuff" lately. The kids at school have been just nutz. We have to cut $7M from the budget, so the staff has been totally on edge.There's all the regular stuff I deal with at work and then there's just stuff outside of work.

Beth, we have the same thing going on at my mom's facility! DANG, it must be coming back again. I was all ready to head up to visit her this morning because we were finally able to move her back IN last week. Her arm is "better" enough that they can handle her again and "hospice" (just extended care, not end-of-life) has been added.

Allie, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.
    blkuiiotu3e0.png
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,274 Member
    Options
    Took a covid test - negative. :D The packet is really old and the capsules very low in liquid, so I tripled them up to get a reading. It registered with the top line, so it was still working, but no covid line. I've binned it and DH will have to go into the pharmacy to get a new set. It's free for the over 75s.
    So, just some random virus. I'm walking wounded, not flat on my back. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    Allie sorry for your losses.

Heather hope you feel better.

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options

p0fiwmuozcgn.png

scef7ytuydlh.png

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

All of my raspberries started out in pots/barrels but the suckers have come up from underground(through the little holes in the pots) and are now taking over a small area down the path of my roses and even up in my lawn..
    I have to tie them back because they start hanging over the walkway
    I started with two pots and one barrel, I now have three pots, two barrels and about 15'row of them.
    I tried to get cuttings to start for me to share with mom but didn't have any luck-dad would have had luck, I am sure.
    They do produce really well after the first year.