my accountability thread Day one

Options

Replies

• BeverlyW1108
    BeverlyW1108 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    @sarah7591 HipHipHooray! :) You are an inspiration! It will be tough for me to meet last week's weight, but I can do it! You did it!!! Yes, when I was working and someone brought donuts, I would say to myself do I really want to eat 6 donuts because I knew one wasn't going to be enough! I would be ashamed to have that many at work, but it didn't stop me from going to the snack machine for a bear claw or honey bun!!! I have not had a donut since I retired in Oct 2019! I bought a foam roller yesterday for my IT band and I (fingers crossed) think it helped. I'm going to the gym now without my knee brace. I'm taking it with me just in case.
    I hope you guys have a Good Healthy Tuesday!
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    @BeverlyW1108 - hope the foam roller works for you. I have heard good things about them. I am still doing PT for my sciatica and not sure it is helping. Maybe this is something I just need to live with. I can walk fine and swim but just no running which I dearly miss. Oh...your comment on the one donut and then going to the snack machine ! That is SO me! I'm glad I don't have access to that machine or donuts. I cant recall the last time I had one either.
    @chris_in_cal hope you go your swim in. I was excited to go swimming because I bought some water proof head phones to listen to music. They worked OK ...but it was wonderful to listen to music while swimming.
    Have a great day everyone. Keep up the good work
  • dvmmcw8273
    dvmmcw8273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Finally got everyone that helped us with our cattle this weekend fed, watered, and gone.
    Even though I couldn’t do much, 3 weeks post surgery I am still easily exhausted. Not 20 anymore!
    Once my knee gets to the point that I can start riding my bike again, I have decided to set a goal of racing in an Aquabike next summer. Half swim, half bike as running is out. I like to have something to work towards over the winter. I am a decent swimmer but haven’t done much the last few years. I think it would be fun to pick it up again. Sounds like Chris and Sarah enjoy it 🙂
    I am starting to track again tomorrow. Was just too busy with family and friends around these last few days, and to tell you the truth, I just didn’t feel like it. My mental state is still not where it was prior to my knee issues as I really depend on exercise and movement to keep me feeling good. I am going to slowly start again with upper body weights this week.
    Take care everyone,
    Melanie
  • BeverlyW1108
    Options
    Good Morning Friends! I did super good on Monday after a weekend of overindulgence and stayed under my calorie goal yesterday and got a good workout done both days. However, we are leaving today for an unexpected trip to a funeral and any time away from home throws me off. I know it is mostly mental because even if there is low calorie food around, I tend to grab the highest calorie snacks. Melanie, setting up the goal of an aqua bike next summer sounds like a great idea. I always need something to work towards, some end game competition. I actually think the foam roller is working its magic. I would have never believed it. If you've never tried one, I have to share the word "foam" is a deceptive description, because the one I bought as semi firm rather than firm is as hard as a rock and rolling my IT band on it feels like I'm rolling on a rock. I must be doing it right because Cleveland Clinic online said it would hurt.
    I hope you all have a wonderful day!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,111 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm just dropping in but I had a comment that might be helpful. It seems like there are struggles with social eating and weekend eating. It seems like going "cold turkey" on that isn't working, so maybe try a half measure? Like pick two weekends to eat extra and two weekends to limit. Maybe that is mentally a better step than giving up social eating forever.

Another thing is to include some treats in your daily diet. I eat chocolate daily, but it's a small portion of low sugar dark chocolate. Or have a small portion of halo top low calorie ice cream. Then when you look at the other treats available, you can recall that you already had the best.

It might help to actually track the "treats" you eat in a list somewhere. When I look at a menu, I always feel like it's been ages since I had a dessert, and I won't have another chance anytime soon. That's just wrong and tracking treats helps you realize that.

And finally, when you look at a dessert, actively recall the things you have eaten that didn't taste good. For example, a cake that is stale and dry, or waxy frosting. Or wine that is sour. Imagining that can help you stop indulging.

Hope that was helpful,
    Annie
  • sarah7591
    Options
    Greetings all! I am still doing well. Went for a short walk and then swimming and now I am so tired and just want to eat! Have to be careful.
    @dvmmcw8273 keep up the good work. I love the idea of an Aquabike. I would love to try that as running is out for me.
    @BeverlyW1108 - so sorry to hear you have to go out of town for a funeral. Sorry for your loss. I know its hard to be away from home nad eating out. Do the best you can.
    @anniesquates100 good advice to have a treat or treat day. Mine is Saturday and I do try to eat whatever I want that day within reason but I have to be careful!
    Thanks for chiming in everyone.
  • dvmmcw8273
    Options
    Hello,
    Slowly getting back on track with macros and movement. Going to start some upper body weights today. I am still dragging my *kitten* but I know that this will help with my mental game and sleep.
    Physio was brutal yesterday. Trying to get this knee straight is excruciating. I try to picture myself walking normally while I am doing the exercises- picture the end game 🚶🏻‍♀️
    @BeverlyW1108 those rollers can be brutal. I was doing my shoulder blades a while back and it brought tears to my eyes but it did roll out the knots. Glad to hear you are improving. Sorry your trip is for a funeral. We have been going to too many here.
    @sarah7591 What kind of suit do you swim in? I haven't been in an actual swimsuit in forever!
    @anniesquates100 Thank you for the suggestions. Years (and I mean 40) of deprivation and starvation have created a bingeing mentality driven by a subconscious fear of starvation. It is extremely hard to break but I am working on it and know I will succeed. Eating enough and not getting too hungry are key for me. I still find myself with the all or none mentality, especially when eating away from home in a less structured environment, like Beverly described.
    Still a work in progress at 56 😉

It's almost the weekend! Yay!!
    Melanie
  • sarah7591
    Options
    Hi All! Big failure for me yesterday. @dvmmcw8273 What you described is what happened to me yesterday. Eating enough and not getting super hungry yet trying to lose weight is so hard. I have only strived for 1pd a week since I don't have that much to lose. Yesterday I walked and then went swimming and I think it was too much. I was starving and trying to control it by eating healthy but then my body went into crave mode. It was bad...Oh well...hopefully I learned something.
    The bathing suit i wear is very simple one piece suit - kinda a swimmers suit. I actually get it on amazon because it is supposed to be chlorine resistant. It is not expensive and since I go through a few a year (because the chlorine is so hard on them) I don't like to spend much. If you want the link for the one I buy just send me a DM.
    Have a great day everyone.
  • sarah7591
    Options
    Hi All: Just checking in and trying to get back on track. I hope you all have a safe holiday and do the best you can.
  • dvmmcw8273
    Options
    Hi,
    My biceps and triceps are sore today and that is a feeling I have not had for a very long time. I worked them and my back yesterday and it feels really good to start weight training again. Today I did what I could for legs- a little lopsided as I can’t do much in my left yet but with some alterations I got some done.
    Tomorrow will be chest, shoulders, and abs.
    Low on protein today. My mother in law made lunch and my daughter in law brought over supper so I tried to make things work the best I could.
    I am starting to feel much more like myself now that I can do more. I think I’m really going to like this new knee.

Hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!
    Melanie
  • BeverlyW1108
    Options
    Good Morning Friends! So sorry I have been MIA for a few days. Hubby's daughter has 6, yes 6 children and we drove about two hours away to help while she made funeral arrangements for her father in law. We stayed at a hotel nearby where we had a free buffet breakfast that was awesome! Yes, I had to overeat because I wasn't sure when I would get to eat next and didn't want to get so hungry, I was weak, shaky and irritable. I really enjoy reading what you write because you write so well, and I can relate to everything you share. That helps me realize I'm just human. Hubby is going for a run this morning so I will go to the gym, yuk. I'm so ready to run but I don't want my knee to hurt when we go on vacation with my son starting Friday. He lives in PA, and we are meeting at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio for a couple days with the grandkids. I'm so looking forward to this trip. I hope everyone has a nice weekend. Remember the military <3
  • sarah7591
    Options
    Hi All: I hope you are all doing well. @BeverlyW1108 - Cedar Point?? We used to go there when we were kids and it was the big outing of the year for us (I grew up in Detroit). I'm glad it is still there and sounds like fun.
    Glad we are all staying physical that really helps doesn't it. Have a great weekend everyone.

• dvmmcw8273
    Options
    Hi,
    @BeverlyW1108 Your amusement park trip sounds so fun! I cannot wait until my grandchild is old enough to do that with! We took our kids to Disney World years ago and had a blast. Especially the water park we went to. It was a coolish day so we were the only family there along with a family from Minnesota- both cold climate families 🥶
    I am moving slowly today. Quiet around here and I am enjoying it 🤗 Home by myself tonight- planning on watching a good movie.
    And yes- thank you to all those who have served past and present. It is a selfless commitment. It is easy to forget those that allowed me to have the life I do.
    We are Canadian but my son has sold horses to BraveHearts, a horse therapy group that raises awareness to reduce suicides among veterans. They do 20 mile rides through cities. They have asked him to ride with him twice and he said the experience was incredible. He has had veterans tell him that this group saved them 💜🩷

Have a lovely Saturday- Melanie
  • BeverlyW1108
    Options
    How's everyone doing this morning? I worked out at the gym yesterday and today is a rest day. I plan to go on Mon, Tues and Thurs this week. I was considering going to the Dr for my knee but I'm going to wait until we get back from this vacation. Everything I read sounds exactly like it is an IT Band issue and those can take anywhere from 2-12 weeks to heal. 12 weeks!!! No way. Patience is so hard sometimes but I don't want to end my running at such an early age (65)! Melanie, that is so cool that your son has done that. I hear stories about what soldiers have gone through and think they deserve every bit of help we can give them. Are you still doing your weight training? @sarah7591 I had a feeling you were from the North bc you said you love Atlanta. I was born and raised in Cincinnati until I moved here at 23yo. I say the same thing. I love where I live, it's a slower pace, the cost of living is the best and traffic is not horrendous. I love listening to my hubby's southern accent! I've never been to Cedar Point. We went to Kings Island as kids, and I even worked there one summer. I wish everyone a Good Sunday!
  • dvmmcw8273
    Options
    Hi,
    Today is a rest day for me… My whole body is sore. I did 3 20-30 minute weight sessions this past week- bis/tris/back; legs (mostly on healthy one!); and chest/shoulders/abs. Although the weights were much lighter from where I left off in January when my knee gave way, my muscles are feeling it. I am no longer a no pain no gain gal, but I am prone to delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). I have tried everything to reduce it. I believe that some get it worse than others. I have always carried a lot of muscle so maybe it’s linked to that.
    @BeverlyW1108 Patience is not my strong suit. This replacement has taught me that mainly because I have no choice! Allow yourself to heal- you still have a lot of good running years ahead of you!
    @sarah7591 hope you are enjoying your long weekend!
    We are hoping for rain here. Things are dry and our pastures are poor. If we don’t get some soon we will have to start selling some of our cows. It is so hard relying on weather to make a living.
    Take care- Melanie
  • dvmmcw8273
    Options
    Hello,
    "It's a beautiful day" - U2
    I got on the scale for the first time in months and I am the heaviest I have been in at least 25 years.
    Picking myself up, dusting myself off, and looking out at a beautiful morning. I am beyond blessed with this new knee and I am going to make the best of it. Lighter, stronger, healthier.
    I changed my splits this week- today is chest and triceps.
    Have a productive week- Melanie
  • BeverlyW1108
    Options
    Good Morning All,
    Melanie, you answered my question about are you doing your weights! When I start back after taking a break every weight I used to use seems unbearable! But I used to do it so I can do it again with that horrible 8 letter word, patience! I know a runner who takes an ice bath after a hard run. He says it speeds up recovery. I've never had the motivation to do it although I do put ice on the sorest muscles, not sure it helps, but it feels good. I had a good day yesterday although I can't believe I'm saying this, I totally forgot to exercise. I did foam roll though. Today is day 14 without running :( Going to the gym in a bit.
    Maybe it takes 2-12 weeks for IT Pain to heal. I'm thinking I've got as much of a chance of healing in 2 weeks as anyone. Sarah, how is the weather at Cedar Point? Is it a lot cooler bc it is on the water?

I hope ya'll have a Marvelous Monday~
  • sarah7591
    Options
    Hi All! @BeverlyW1108 - Oh the weather at Cedar Point...I have not been there since I was a kid! I imagine it is cooler than ATL but you never know. Yes, I would give your IT band a chance to heal. Listen to your body, I think my running days are over but at least i can , swim, dive and walk.
    @dvmmcw8273 - ugh. i am with you because i got on the scale and am the heaviest I have been in a while. So depressing because I have not been eating well at all this weekend. I have to turn this around. Let's do this Melanie.
    Best to all!
  • dvmmcw8273
    Options
    You have inspired me @sarah7591 ...
    Yes, let's do this B)
  • sarah7591
    Options
    dvmmcw8273 wrote: »
    You have inspired me @sarah7591 ...
    Yes, let's do this B)

Yes....I need inspiration as well. I have a annual physical at end of June and that is going to motivate me!!