Female Bulking Advice Needed

Options

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

I'm finding this to be a little mind-bending. After struggling to get my weight DOWN pretty much since my pre-teen years, and finally managing to do it properly, it feels awfully strange to deliberately be putting weight ON. :tongue: My new love of muscles is, happily, overriding my anxiety about it so far, though. Hopefully that keeps up over the winter :)

I have no doubt I'm going to struggle more with this as time goes by. We just have to keep reminding ourselves what we are doing, why we are doing it, and how nice that additional muscle is going to look in a few months when we can really see it. :smile:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    sorry, don't know anything about bulking but if you're adding casein at night - ON 100% casein chocolate supreme is amazing with milk, microwaved for hot chocolate :)

you look amazing btw

I do this every night religiously, but not to bulk. Same flavor, too! Eta: only with water & no microwave, lol.

Yeah, I can't drink that stuff with just milk. It gets wayyy too thick. I use half water half almond milk. It's a good flavor though.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You look great and good luck with your bulk. I just wanted to point out that women who post about their concerns in regard to getting bigger usually don't have your body type. They can be goal weight or even low weight but still look relatively stocky: added muscle in the wrong places would not make them look better.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You look great and good luck with your bulk. I just wanted to point out that women who post about their concerns in regard to getting bigger usually don't have your body type. They can be goal weight or even low weight but still look relatively stocky: added muscle in the wrong places would not make them look better.

In your opinion.

Everybody is entitled to work towards their own ideal aesthetic. They may, in their own opinion, look better with added muscle, regardless of their body type.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barbellgirl
    Options

I don't understand what you are saying. Is my body type advantageous or disadvantageous to adding muscle? Are you saying that you agree that I have room to add muscle to my frame?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Most things have been covered well :)

When you are dieting, your metabolism will naturally slow a little and as you slowly add the cals back it "should" increase a bit. This may be why you didn't gain any weight in the first month.

As was said, women can gain muscle at approximately half the rate of men so eating around maintenance or a very small surplus is best. Also depends on how long you have been resistance training for. More experienced = slower muscle growth.

I'd still keep some lower rep range stuff in your program. I don't really see the need to choose between high and low when you can do both and get benefits from both. (bulking or cutting actually)

P.S looking good :smile:
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Curious...

you intending to just bulk or are you intending to to widen the shoulders and back to make your waist look more in proportion ?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to contribue except, you are hot. I hope I'm hot like that when i'm in my 40s.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I don't understand what you are saying. Is my body type advantageous or disadvantageous to adding muscle? Are you saying that you agree that I have room to add muscle to my frame?

She is against strength training and muscles.....don't mind her.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

You are better off not trying to understand what she is saying.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Some people don't think women who are naturally "pear shaped" or have naturally big legs should add muscles to their lower body. Some people even advice these women to avoid lifting lower body all together even when in a deficit.

I am pear shaped, with naturally big legs. I did a bulk start at higher body fat than normally advised. Due to lack of motivation, I haven't successfully accomplished the "cut" that was supposed to follow. Even though my legs are an inch or so bigger than they were before my bulk I do not regret it. They may be bigger but they look better. Yes, they still have some fat on them but they did before as well, since that's of course where I store my excess fat. But now they have fat AND muscle making them look better. My butt is higher, tighter and rounder. You can see the "lump" of my quads just above the knee, and the line down the side of my thigh. The backs of my thighs are tighter and you can occasionally see some hamstring definition. When I sit in shorts instead of squishing out my thighs hold their shapes, staying rounder.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Curious...

you intending to just bulk or are you intending to to widen the shoulders and back to make your waist look more in proportion ?

I actually just started working with a personal trainer who is also a physique competitor two weeks ago. He is going to have me start working more on my back soon. He's added some shoulder/arm work already, the back is the next focus.

Chris, I'm switching to a four day split routine starting next week. The rep range will be in the 6-10 area, somewhere between hypertrophy and strictly strength. I started lifting in late June, so I'm sill pretty new, and still making very nice gains each week.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    In to follow progress :smile:

ETA: And for tips!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

I'm curious, what is the "body type" you are referring to?

Edit: Nice progress OP
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Curious...

I actually just started working with a personal trainer who is also a physique competitor two weeks ago. He is going to have me start working more on my back soon. He's added some shoulder/arm work already, the back is the next focus.

Chris, I'm switching to a four day split routine starting next week. The rep range will be in the 6-10 area, somewhere between hypertrophy and strictly strength. I started lifting in late June, so I'm sill pretty new, and still making very nice gains each week.

Sounds perfect...
    post a pic when the jobs done at 48 !
  • Barbellgirl
    Options

I'm curious, what is the "body type" you are referring to?

Edit: Nice progress OP

Thank you MG. :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You should talk to Sarauk2sf of the EAT, TRAIN, PROGRESS group. She is around your age and currently bulking and cutting with great results. You can find her here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

PS You look fantastic. Gives me hope for my own progress.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    You should talk to Sarauk2sf of the EAT, TRAIN, PROGRESS group. She is around your age and currently bulking and cutting with great results. You can find her here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

PS You look fantastic. Gives me hope for my own progress.

Thank you.

I actually posted this is that section and received very little feedback or advice. I was basically told I should do what I had decided to do with gradually increasing my calories, that casein wasn't necessary, and that the creatine I should be using is creatine monohydrate, I am using creatine orotate. Basically, nothing that hasn't been discussed here. Maybe I just posted at a bad time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised I haven't posted this link here, yet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/940668-ladies-who-have-bulked