Female Bulking Advice Needed

Options

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much ladies. I'm guessing my body fat was in the area of 25-26% when I first started. I learned a lot about what works for my body to burn fat through trial and error. For now, my bulking is going well, I'm up at least a pound so far this month and haven't lost all my ab definition yet. :laugh:

Progress pics as well as measurements will be posted in two more weeks. :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • erikalaf816
    Options
    There is an awesome at home program called Body beast. I know a few women who have done it and had AMAZING results!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You look awesome - thank you very much for sharing your story. Really motivational!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    bump to read more later.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Tagging and awaiting your update for November!
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Thank you ladies again. I was going to let this thread die because I initially started it just to ask for advice, not to really keep a journal. I've had a few ladies ask me to provide an update so here is my end of the month information. Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will gladly answer them. :smile: :flowerforyou:

10/4/13 Measurements

Bust: 35.25"
    Chest/strapline: 31 "
    Waist: 26"
    Belly Button: 28"
    Right Arm: 9.5"
    Right Thigh: 20"
    Shoulders: 38"
    Neck: 13"
    Hips: 35"

October 28, 2013 Update

I've been eating at a 200-300 calorie a day surplus for four weeks today. I managed to gain 1.5 lbs. My goal was 1/2 lb. a week so I didn't quite hit my 2 lb. goal.

My body fat measurement with my handheld Omron has varied from 18.2 to 19.7% when taken first thing in the morning. Three point caliper testing puts me at 16.83 % so I feel confident that my body fat is staying around the 18-19% range.

The only measurements that changed are the following in inches; bicep +1/4, calf +1/4, ribcage +1/8, shoulder +1, thigh +1/4, waist and belly button -1/4. All other measurements stayed the same.

I'm proud of my delts which are growing and my lats are starting to as well.

Here are the pics taken Monday, October 28. I can definitely see the shoulder growth in my delts and my legs seem bigger, waist is staying the same if not smaller according to the measurements. All good signs. I wish I would have gained more weight though. I'm increasing my daily calories from 2000 to 2100 since I'm not gaining at the desired rate, and I stopped taking creatine. I’m giving my body a four week break from the creatine and will start it back up in December.

XILyn0h.jpg

I have a really hard time getting a good back picture, so this one at least you can see half of my back flexed. :laugh:

DxEXmrS.jpg

k5EX2MH.jpg

Delts! WooHoo!

JMmmbSx.jpg
    fYW8Vyk.jpg
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Habeeebs
    Options
    Everything you said sounds perfectly solid. When increasing calories from a cut, anyone bodybuilding tends to "rebound" and the body is more prone to accumulating fat, which is why your caloric increase should be gradual. You're doing it right.

Side note - You are beautiful!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for the update. Great work!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    But then again rep ranges are not a huge determinant in Hypertrophy; there is no hypertrophic rep range; merely just strength versus endurance; although you do naturally climb out of hypertrophy in the volume gets too high while intensity get too low. The primary determinant is actually progressive tension overload over a period of time given there is enough volume and intensity. That means a 5x5 can be just as effective as 3x8-12; although the 5x5 has the benefit of possibly better strength gains. Powerlifters have no problems gaining mass (which is more of side product). Unfortunately stronglifts and starting strength lack accessory movements creating imbalances; Jason Blaha's 5x5 is the opitimy perfection for novices.
  • joeoutdoors
    joeoutdoors Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi just read the whole thread and what great progress you've made. Looks like you've really got the lifting bug!
    I haven't seen anything on here about the frequency of your meals and protein intake though out the day. Judging by your pics you're obviously getting results and have probably had a lot of advice from personal trainers etc, so this might be totally unneccesary for you but I'm sure it will benefit others on here too.

You're getting a great amount of protein into your body (can't remember exactly what you said but over 1g per lb of body weigh per day) You might find you get an increase in gains by spreading this out into 6-8 meals/intakes per day (if you're not doing so already) The body can only absorb so much protein at a time so it must be spread out through the day, having one sitting of 150g of protein will result in about 20-30g being utilised and the rest goes down the drain (we can't store protein for anyone that didn't know). You'll probably find about 20-30g of protein every 2-3 hours is about the max your body can absorb(obviously varies person to person and body comp etc).
    You mentioned you're trainer spoke to you about Insulin and you are very right insulin can be your best friend….at times.
    Insulin release aka insulin spike is triggered by an increase in blood sugars usually caused by an intake of simple sugars, glucose etc in your food. It opens up the muscle cells and causes it to pull in nutrients (including protein! hence great to have simple sugars with protein post exercise). However an insulin spike also causes the body to stop burning fat and switch to burning carbs this doesn't matter post exercise. However during the day, at your normal activity level, you want your body to be burning fat first to stay lean/drop body fat etc. So avoid sugars and high GI foods to optimise your fat burning during the day. Insulin also has a negative effect on Human growth hormone (the muscle builder). Insulin spikes/high insulin levels reduces its effectiveness so you want to limit the spikes you have in a day to exactly when you need them, another reason to avoid any high sugar foods/high GI.
    Also try avoiding eating after 8pm and avoid anything too sweet/high GI before you go to sleep as Human growth does its best work overnight. The slow release protein at night is a great move and will have (is already having) a great effect. Don't worry about the creatine amount and type too much, creatine is just to increase the muscles store of instant energy for explosive exercise and isn't directly responsible for gains in size. If you've been taking it for a while your stores will already be maxed out and so won't see a drop in performance if you don't have any for a while.

Most of this I'm sure you were already aware of just thought i would throw it out there for other readers too!
    Only recently started using this site, loving the community spirit so far. Keep up the good work you look great!
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    In for smoking hot OP. Also, do glute ham raises. The results will be glorious.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for the update. Great work!!

Thank you and you are very welcome my new friend.

Habeebs thank you for the compliment.

Joe, I practice the leangains method of intermittent fasting 14/10 and it's very helpful for making the most of the HGH production during the fasted state. My trainer was initially concerned about me being able to get all my calories in during my 10 hour feeding window but it hasn't been a problem. I break my fast with my post workout smoothie 27-30g of protein, I have three meals with about 35-40g of protein each, then my nightly casein powder takes care of the rest.

Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it, and I'm sure the other readers will too. :flowerforyou:
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    In for smoking hot OP. Also, do glute ham raises. The results will be glorious.

Haha, I'm a big fan of Bret Contreras (the glute master), and although I'm no longer doing his program, I will always keep some of his signature exercises like the barbell hip thrust, and barbell glute bridge in my routine. :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Looking fantastic my friend! :drinker:
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bumping....great thread!