Female Bulking Advice Needed

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for 63 days now, loving it....

Just think I will have to tweak caloric intake....went from ~182 -> 176 lbs.

Did that happen with you, or did you stay at same weight?

I'm not sure my results are typical Max. I was doing absolutely nothing except sitting all day, eating fast food and drinking alcohol at night before I decided to turn my life around which was in May. I was at a normal weight but just a higher body fat. When I started lifting and eating healthy foods I stayed the same weight but gained muscle and lost fat.

I worked with a personal trainer for five week starting in mid-June because I wanted to learn to use free weights. The second week we worked together she measured my body fat using the calipers and repeated the test with the same calipers four weeks later and I went from 23 to 20% body fat in that time. I think it was the combination of strength training, cardio, IF, a clean diet, lots of rest, reducing stress, and newbie gains. I was eating at a slight deficit (about 200) at this time and not eating back exercise calories.

Eta: since increasing my calories last Monday from TDEE of 1800 to 2000 I've gained 1/2 pound. That puts me exactly one pound heavier than I was when I started, and I will tell you, muscle looks so much sexier than just skin with fat under it and no muscle tone. :)

Roger that.

Work is paying off, keep it up.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    10/10/13 Leg gains!!!! I'm up a 1/2 pound for the month, slow but steady progress. :)

NYyZP4H.jpg
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    congrats on the 1/2 lb!. Do you measure your bf% also to track lean mass gain? i've been tracking mine on an electronic scale, I did a water tank about 6 months ago and in 6 months i'll do it again. i also do measurements with a tape measure, i find them more accurate than the scale. but i use all the info to track progress.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    congrats on the 1/2 lb!. Do you measure your bf% also to track lean mass gain? i've been tracking mine on an electronic scale, I did a water tank about 6 months ago and in 6 months i'll do it again. i also do measurements with a tape measure, i find them more accurate than the scale. but i use all the info to track progress.

I just got one of those Omron hand held devices this week, and I know they aren't terribly accurate but I'm going to use it for trend tracking. I'm also taking measurements. :)
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say, you are awesome :flowerforyou:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Soon to be bulking in the near future. 27 more pounds to go and BF% is 25.1, hoping to get that down to 18%-20%. Again congrats!! You look awesome!! :flowerforyou:

Ohh by the way, I am 44 yrs old. :smile:
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I just wanted to say, you are awesome :flowerforyou:

Thank you ver much. :flowerforyou:

Congrats!! Soon to be bulking in the near future. 27 more pounds to go and BF% is 25.1, hoping to get that down to 18%-20%. Again congrats!! You look awesome!! :flowerforyou:

Ohh by the way, I am 44 yrs old. :smile:

You are making fantastic progress. When you are ready, there is a new group here called 'women who bulk' that are sharing their experiences with one another. :drinker: :smile:
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for 63 days now, loving it....

Just think I will have to tweak caloric intake....went from ~182 -> 176 lbs.

Did that happen with you, or did you stay at same weight?

I'm not sure my results are typical Max. I was doing absolutely nothing except sitting all day, eating fast food and drinking alcohol at night before I decided to turn my life around which was in May. I was at a normal weight but just a higher body fat. When I started lifting and eating healthy foods I stayed the same weight but gained muscle and lost fat.

I worked with a personal trainer for five week starting in mid-June because I wanted to learn to use free weights. The second week we worked together she measured my body fat using the calipers and repeated the test with the same calipers four weeks later and I went from 23 to 20% body fat in that time. I think it was the combination of strength training, cardio, IF, a clean diet, lots of rest, reducing stress, and newbie gains. I was eating at a slight deficit (about 200) at this time and not eating back exercise calories.

Eta: since increasing my calories last Monday from TDEE of 1800 to 2000 I've gained 1/2 pound. That puts me exactly one pound heavier than I was when I started, and I will tell you, muscle looks so much sexier than just skin with fat under it and no muscle tone. :)

Hard work pays off

If you plateau I would HIGHLY recommend learning to cycle your carbs

that is possibly the most effective technique you can do to gain muscle/burn bodyfat simultaneously and I used it extensively during my competitive years(as did my S/O at the time when she was doing bikini comps)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

that is possibly the most effective technique you can do to gain muscle/burn bodyfat simultaneously and I used it extensively during my competitive years(as did my S/O at the time when she was doing bikini comps)

Can you please explain what you mean?
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Hard work pays off

Thank you. I actually played with carb cycling when I got my body fat down before and liked it. My trainer, who competes, mentioned 'fat cycling' and I can't wait to hear more about that. It sounds tasty. :love:
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options
    Ive done fat cycling before and found it is effective for a more endomorphic bodytype... but try it out and let us know

I always found that doing a sequence like this

Day 1 Moderate
    Day 2 Moderate
    Day 3 Low
    Day 4 High
    Day 5 moderate
    Day 6 VERY Low
    Day 7 VERY HIGH

worked wonders

You need to log your carbs and see how your weight and tissue quality/energy levels are to find the moderate days since there are multiple variables

But I found that low days were generally 50% of typical carbs days and very low days were 25%

High days were 150% carbs and very high days were 300%(meaning i would eat 1000+ carbs those days when I was 260+lbs and my SO was eating about 350 carbs at 115lbs)

Amazing results maintaining maximum muscle and stripping away fat
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Ive done fat cycling before and found it is effective for a more endomorphic bodytype... but try it out and let us know

Day 1 Moderate
    Day 2 Moderate
    Day 3 Low
    Day 4 High
    Day 5 moderate
    Day 6 VERY Low
    Day 7 VERY HIGH

worked wonders

You need to log your carbs and see how your weight and tissue quality/energy levels are to find the moderate days since there are multiple variables

But I found that low days were generally 50% of typical carbs days and very low days were 25%

High days were 150% carbs and very high days were 300%(meaning i would eat 1000+ carbs those days when I was 260+lbs and my SO was eating about 350 carbs at 115lbs)

Thank you very much. :flowerforyou:

Did you increase your fat on the lower carb days?
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    this is mind-boggling, in all the right ways- best thread on here!
  • Chicklit007
    Options
    you look awesome! Do you have any before photos???
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    you look awesome! Do you have any before photos???

Sure do. When I started this process of getting in shape, I wasn't horrible looking. I was just very soft, fluffy, giggled too much and had ugly cellulite on the back of my legs. It's a condition that I call "skinny fat." I know some people don't like that term, but I feel like it described me. I was skinny, but had way too much fat and not enough lean body mass. Here are my progress photos up until the ones I posted at the beginning of the thread.

Please pay particular attention to my arms and my lower legs. It may not be the easiest to see in pictures, but when I started my legs were soft and squishy and when I sat down, yuck. Now, they are strong and firm whether standing or sitting. Several posts above you can see what my legs look like now. Even in July I couldn't flex my legs, but I can now. :laugh: :embarassed:

rpXsQ5F.jpgpwtmjQU.jpg

tVY1HuO.jpgIEKixoD.jpg

gJaswDK.jpg

I worked hard those first few months to get my body fat down, now I'm focused on building muscle. I've come to love muscle and the fit look, and now I want more of it! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options

Day 1 Moderate
    Day 2 Moderate
    Day 3 Low
    Day 4 High
    Day 5 moderate
    Day 6 VERY Low
    Day 7 VERY HIGH

worked wonders

Thank you very much. :flowerforyou:

Did you increase your fat on the lower carb days?

No...it is carb cyclical as well... very necessary
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    clearer pictures, and you re trainer is spot on to have you work on shoulders arms and chest to give the illussion of / define waist and its just a case of putting the work in and getting diet right, and accepting age is a slight handicap which will inevitably slow progress.

Handicapped by age at 52 and also with inevitable lower testosterone levels most men ignore or havnt a clue about, i have a similar work load ahead when i finish stripping all my fat off and it does seem a bit unfair i m able to visit my doctor and be reffered to hospital to confirm i can have testosterone replacement injections - Not sure that as its all above board you could call that cheating, but i ve timed my fat off to coincide with this treatment so i can bulk with the same testosterone levels i had when youthful !
  • jah8670
    Options
    You look great keep on doing what your doing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This is an exciting transformation to watch. Congrats on your efforts so far and can't wait to see what you decide to do with your body next. It was a beautiful canvas to start with and can't wait to see your masterpiece. If you've been directed to ETP group I think you are in the right place for the tools to get you where you want to be. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • softballislife7
    softballislife7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    you look amazing!