WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Debbie ~ My husband is a food/supplies hoarder. I think it all started with the toilet paper shortage at the start of the Pandemic. Now, we have large quantities of canned goods, dried goods, toiletries, water, etc. I am more of the notion to keep the freezer loaded with main coarse foods that I know I will use and buy again as they come on sale. I guess neither of us is totally right in our thinking, but, I do get tired of being told to buy things we really don't need.

Carol in GA

we are both bad about buying too much because if is on sale. Then buy other things on sale and the stuff gets put in the freezer or on the shelf and we continue to buy.
    Rats got in the garage where we have the pantries and ruined a lot. Now everything has to be in plastic totes unless it is in cans. Has been a struggle to get rid of them and get it all cleaned up but they are gone. We are buying a lot less now.
    It was great to be able to take advantage of two amazing sales at Safeway last night beings the freezer was so cleaned out- large size shrimp $6 for two pound size bag- We bought 4 which was the limit. We all really enjoy shrimp-I made shrimp tacos the other night to use up the last of the shrimp from the freezer and dh LOVED them and wanted more(but we had used up all the shrimp).
    The other thing was more for him was chicken wings. $5 (instead of $15)- got two bags. I can cook them for him and his mom- pressure cook then air fry with what ever seasoning they choose(usually teriyaki or bbq)
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    [quote="Snowflake1968;c-47426413"
    Debbie - I don’t know what I would do with that many freezers. I have never owned a deep freezer only ever had the fridge one. Currently I’m not even doing big grocery shops as we throw too much out. I usually stop at the store on my way home to grab for supper.

Tracey in Edmonton

[/quote]

I couldn't imagine NOT having my big freezer. The only one we have had that I really didn't like was a large chest freezer. Being only 5' and cold induced asthma- having to reach down into the bottom of it for something, breathing all that cold air, was hard. Was glad when we gave it away and bought the upright.
    Being able to take advantage of great sales like we did last night. Shrimp and wings- we spent $35 but saved $91-73% savings on things we will use up and great to have on hand for quick meals. The shrimp we use in many ways and they dont go on sale that cheap ever. A decent sale is double what we paid last night.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Vince went for his MRI Thursday. Been working but don’t work tomorrow so I can exercise! The plan is to do the Body & Soul Super Stomach and Buns DVD and then the Denise Austin Abs workout (I think this is short). Didn’t have to volunteer at the soup kitchen Friday because they had a group doing it.

Debbie – how wonderful that Nick was found!

Been watering the plants the landscaper put in and adding more blocks. Still working on the pool. Vince cleaned the filters yesterday since it was such nice weather (in the low 80’s) and I finished putting out the ceramics. I do have a lot…..but there’s still room for more...lol (much to Vince’s dismay since he needs to think of a place to store them – poor guy)

Ginny – I hear ya about fighting for ourselves. Quite a few years ago, I knew something was wrong. Didn’t know exactly what. To be honest, I think the MD prescribed a BDT for me mainly to shut me up. She kept saying “we don’t recommend BDT’s for women who haven’t gone thru menopause”. Was she ever surprised to find that I had osteoporosis!

Was Jerry ever drunk yesterday when he came to work! I know they kept him on mainly so that he could put up the truck (put their delivery away). But this morning the manager was complaining that he put things in the wrong place. Honestly, I don’t think they should have let him work until the truck (delivery) came. Would have given him a chance to sober up.

Joy – I hope you have an absolutely great time in Ireland. Looking forward to hearing all about it

I guess you could say I’m a bear. Only I don’t go to sleep early, usually not until around 10-11

The new salt water generator is here. Let’s hope this one is not a dud too.

Rosemarie – let me know how the knitting goes. I don’t mind it, I just haven’t done it in a long time. Need to start working on the xstitch for the lady who used to take care of my father. Working on another jigsaw puzzle right now

Terri – I, too, hope you get home soon. You always recover faster when at home.

Pfraid…. - welcome. Please let us know a name you’d like to be called and a general location just so we can keep track of you

Allie – Miles was watching the guy across the street cutting his lawn. Getting ideas, maybe?

Reece – welcome to the world! Rylee sure has a way with words!

Karen – sounds like you have fantastic friends. So happy for you. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful place you are at

Lisa – your pic of the prism reminded me of Pink Floyd.

I, sadly, try to avoid conflict, too.

Tracey – I’m like you, I couldn’t imagine NOT having a freezer. I wish I’d gotten a bigger one, I use mine so much. Right now veges and fruits will be coming into season so I’m trying to make room for that. Great price for shrimp.

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Internet was out almost all day yesterday, came back on as I was going to bed.

Having my tea and trying to catch up on here while dh is at his mom's.
    We have a wedding reception/bbq to go to this afternoon for one of his friends. Hoping we don't stay too long. I only know the guy, met his wife I think once but we won't know any of the other guests.

Update on Nick- He has been transferred to another hospital in Berkley. They have told his wife more information but she isn't sharing it, not even with his mom. His mom is the one sharing with dh. When visiting hours are set, she will let dh know.
    The family is so clueless. The step-daughter(Ezie's mom) thinks he did this because his sister just past the bar to be a lawyer and his brother has his own business. Still not taking any blame at all for any of this. We are glad he is getting the help he needs, for as long as he needs it.

Weeded a bit in the back garden yesterday evening. I have snail bait coming today to put around in my greenhouse- killed so many snails already with salt but need the bait to put right around each plant that won't harm the plant like too much salt might. Found two TINY baby salamanders under one pot when I was salting- grabbed one and rinsed him quickly and put him near another pot- only about an inch long- sooo cute.

Found out from son that we can special order the veggie plants for mom from his store. I don't think anything is going in the greenhouse this year. Up to her but pretty late now.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Kelly Thanks, we were very fortunate because some people try to fit into a 10’ opening at race car speed just to get one car ahead! Sorry for the mishaps that your son had on his journey! I think as mom’s we will always worry about our kids!

Terri congratulations to your cousin, on the new grandbaby! Love what her little granddaughter said!

Margaret you are quite the artist! Love the detail on the glass jar!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Barbie—It has been quite awhile since we’ve flown anywhere. The last time we flew, DH & I chose to pay a little extra for first class seats, side by side. The seats were roomy and we didn’t feel crowded. We are definitely not frequent flyers. :wink:

Katla
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Debbie Because of Hippaa Laws in our country Nick has to sign a form that allows who can see his medical information. The idea behind the law is to maintain privacy. The problem with the law is if the person refuses for any reason the medical profession can tell you nothing no matter what your relationship. An exception might be you having power of attorney. It does not mean that you or anyone close to him cannot give information about him that his medical team needs. What I don't like about the law is it makes it very hard to work as a team Medical with the family in the best interest of the patient. If you are allowed to be with the patient while in the hospital you can also glean can quite a bit of info too. (((hugs))) to your family.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,114 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

Well last week was poor, diet and exercise -wise. The scale is up over two pounds. I'm trying not to overdo it today, but I didn't exercise at all yesterday so I feel like I should do double. Not sensible. So far I just did my usual twenty minutes on the bike.

My mom used to hoard food in the freezers but I tend to buy for the week then toss what's left. We have ham leftovers from Easter, and if I freeze it I will never find it again. So out it goes.

I don't think of myself as on the spectrum, but I'm not neurotypical either. Just a little weird in conversation perhaps.

Hope Nick can find his way to a life that's fulfilling for him.

Hope you all get some beautiful spring weather! We have sun until late afternoon, then a front of thunderstorms coming through.

Annie in Delaware
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    It's Saturday!

Karen - so happy to hear you are settling in to your new community and finding couples/friends who are fun to spend time with. That "be nice" comment reminds me of a mom admonishing her squabbling kids "Billy, be nice and stop picking on your little sister!"

Mary - I'm very interested to see the plant with maple-type leaves you were describing.

Rosemarie - there's something thrilling about attending live muscial performances, isn't there? I'm afraid I'd act up if it was at a concert with modern music - dancing in the aisles with the kids! Who needs weed - I need ibuprofen, lol.

Rori - were you ever tempted to dance when you are working at those concerts? :p

Have a great weekend <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Happy Birthday aundy28570! You can ALWAYS start again.

Miles appears to be learning well, Allie!

Glad you're on the road to recovery, Terri.

HIPAA was a royal pita when our daughters were still living at home and passed the age of 16, but we were still covering their insurance (and all of their living expenses, of course) (16!!!) Lacy was deathly sick with flu one year, in bed, could barely move. I called the doctor to see if we could get a prescription for Tamiflu. The nurse said she wouldn't talk to me unless Lacy approved it. I put the phone up to her face and she coughed out, "YES D**NIT!!!" Nurse was NOT happy, but gave me the prescription. I get it, but seriously. They're my kids, I paid the insurance AND all the co-pays and bills over the co-pays. Give me a break! We finally got wise had them both assign us as part of their medical charts so the doctors and nurses had to speak to us whenever we called after that. smh. As you say, Margaret, it makes it very hard to work as a team in the best interest of the patient. Thankfully, my brother has power of attorney for Mom.

22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it. ALWAYS!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    This is the original photo. Amazing what you can do these days and a little bit scary!
    9q9mgssxjxcd.jpg
    Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 9min, 58elev, 2.55ap, 81ahr, 115mhr, 6.03mi= 658c
    Strava app = 703c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 1hr 10min 8sec, 889elev, 121aw, 17.3amph, 111ahr, 133mhr, 20.18mi= 497c
    Strava app = 486c
    Zwift stats- 1hr 10min 14sec, 889elev, 120aw, 47arpm, 17.26amph, 20.2mi= 487c

Total cal 1155c
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Karen-I enjoy hearing about your experiences in the complex. Living in one will be different. I am off work next Friday and want to make appointment to check out another place.

I think many times people use "be nice" as a reason to not be honest. We don't want to hurt someone's feelings, for instance, so we aren't honest bout work performance, for instance. We end up doing more harm by not providing honest feedback.

Funeral today was very nice. Such a warm tribute to such a truly nice man. We served lasagna and salad. The family and friends were appreciative.

Woke up early this morning so pretty tired right now. Went for three mile walk after I got home. Have linens we used at kitchen in the wash to return to church.

Going to surf the net checking out a couple of things. Looks like a storm might be moving in-and there is a frost warning for tonight. Crazy weather.

Take care all.

Ginny in Ohio