WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    ACTIVE APRIL
    1. Commit to being more active this month starting today. Yes!
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Yes!
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. Yes! I can garden, which requires all sorts of body motion, and cycle.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yes! Ate my usual food and drank lots of water up till about 8 pm. We won't talk about what happened after that.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Hmmm ... Walking around the shops? Climbing stairs?
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. Achy.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening.
    There isn't much light early in the day here. Plus I was sleeping then. Plus it was cloudy, drizzly and rainy all day.
    But I do dim the lights in the evening. It's one of many steps I take to wind down in the evenings to prepare myself for the night.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    I rarely laugh. Most things don't strike me funny.
    Lots of things amuse me, but not enough for laughter.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    I often do, but as today's work involved sitting at 2 computers, I walked on the treadmill during a break instead.
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    Unfortunately, today was another day sitting at 2 computers.
    But I did go downstairs to row and lift weights.
    Hoping the rain will let up soon!!! It's been 4 days already!
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    One of my more favourite areas!! :)
    We aim to cycle at least one 50 km ride each month and have been doing that for a while. :) At our AGM at the end of March, we got a bag full of these each. :)
    c9d65r471d9g.png
    We will have to see when we can fit our April ride in ... the 5 days off over Easter would have been good but it rained and rained and was cold and windy. Snow at higher elevations.
    Maybe next weekend ... we'll see.
    AND ... one of the bigger running events moved their event to September which is fantastic for me. Originally, it was this month, but I was nowhere near ready to even sign up for the 5K. Now I've got the winter to get in shape. :)
    Also, now that I'm working back in the same building I was in about 16 months ago, with many of the same people, we've started our stair climbing challenge again. We are easing into it this month because of Easter and ANZAC Day but we'll be ready to be much more consistent in May.
    The stair climbing challenge is exciting because when I'm busy climbing 20+ flights of 20 stairs each day I am at work, I lose weight.
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    Absolutely! I climbed stairs. :)
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    I do when I have to work the next day ... make sure I get at least 7 hours of sleep.
    But I am not keen on that. I'm a night owl and like to get things done late at night. Having to be in bed by 11:45 pm is a bit uncomfortably early.
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    Gardening ... will gardening do?
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    I sing every day. My husband is very polite about it. :)
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    I've spent 5 years on our island.
    I've done a lot of local exploring!
    I think exploring locally is a great idea and some people don't do enough of it. However, I'm getting more and more restless to go somewhere else as the weeks go by.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    I usually do this on the weekend when there's daylight.
    However, I occasionally do some weeding in the pitch dark when I walk Rhody right after work.

18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    Hmmmmmmm ... not that keen on online exercise, aside from Zwift.
    However, I have started a stair climbing challenge at work, and we keep track of it on an Excel spreadsheet. :)

19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    Walking in the morning and evening as part of my commute.
    Walking at lunch.
    Climbing stairs.
    Walking back and forth to the kitchen and toilet.
    Walking with Rhody after work.

20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.

As always. :)

21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.

Does huffing and puffing up and down 20 flights of stairs count?
    42. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    43. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    44. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    45. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    46. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    47. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    48. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    49. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    50. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

Machka in Oz
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Barbara I hope your belly feels better!

Heather you are very fortunate to be able to do things with your grandchildren as often as you do.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Terri - So glad to see you pop in, hope your recovery is rapid and painfree...
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm a wolf!
    vrm2y1km2e1a.png

I'm a lion - happily in bed by 9pm and naturally awake between 6 and 7am these days. Up at some point during the night, but I fall asleep in moments, almost never lie awake in bed for any time at all. That's been my pattern ever since I retired.
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Lisa - hydrangeas here go completely dormant and look dead if we get too much cold, but suddenly come late may or june (after the nights are above 50 or so) the darn things leaf out (and or send up shoots) and are back to being beautiful.
    Kim

You are absolutely right, Kim (and Terri), thank you! I saw this from you and then took a good look at them yesterday afternoon. One has leaves peeping out around the old canes now, and looks like it will be able to come back completely. The other is still doing its "I'm a bunch of sticks" imitation, but I moved it last year to get it a little more sun. I'll give it a little more time to try and come back before I give up on it... the nights are still quite chilly, 42 degrees out this morning.

I'm so pleased, too, that my hostas made it through the winter: The one on the left, I planted the first spring after we got here, and the one on the right was a new addition last year. A few more of those survived as well, and I'm so pleased. I'm of the "if you can make it through the winter you get to stay" kind of benignly neglectful "gardeners," so I'm always pleased when they do. It's possible that there was a good reason I never actually had children of my own... :smiley:
    ehfz5odndpyo.png

And here's a question for my gardeners - Below is a pic of a plant that right now is about six or eight inches tall. Google search says it's a sugar maple. A number of these popped up in my flowerbed about eight feet from the maple that fell on the house a while back. However... we also dug the muscadine vines out of that same flowerbed. I planted them there the first spring, and then moved them to the back yard to give them more room. So, which is it? Either way I have to evict them - a 40-foot tall sugar maple in a flowerbed is not something I want, and the muscadines just run riot... but I'd still like to know what I'm killing before I yank it out by the roots:
    78v1kip15p13.png

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Here with Mr Miles who is napping
    We have found that if he takes 1 morning nap and plays outside in the afternoon..he sleeps better at night..
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Lisa - that is a little maple. DH used to remove some from flower beds and pot them up to give away. And yes, many just got yanked and thrown over the fence!

Lanette
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Lanette and Lisa I have something like that that turns, purple and flowers. But the leaves are exactly the same. When I get back to Minnesota, I will take a picture. I’d be curious as to know what mine are.

Terri glad to hear you are doing well! Praying for a speedy recovery!!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Allie —You are an excellent grandma & daycare provider. Mr. Miles is a very lucky little boy. ❤️

Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Machka - Your communication style here shows a lot of the constructions of someone on the spectrum, so I've always been pretty sure that you are neurodivergent (I love that word). I think it's a wonderful thing that you're aware of it. While it can come across as blunt to the neurotypical, it's always honest, and I appreciate that enormously. You are never wishy-washy, dear heart, and I'm glad you're here. I hope this group is of benefit to you.

And while Maté's got some interesting points, in all honesty, who's NOT under chronic stress any more? Stress is the human condition these days, and pointing out that it exacerbates inflammation is kind of belaboring the obvious. While you may not participate in the over-empathic, hyper-responsible, repressions of the neurotypical, it just means (to me) that you deal with the same stressors in different ways. You're as subject to the same stresses, but you add onto that a world not really constructed to deal with the way you communicate or operate. There is massive stress wrapped up in that--and while you may be able to express yourself in ways the emotionally repressed cannot, it doesn't make it go away.

Interesting.
    Love,
    Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. :heart:

And what you say is probably why I feel out of my comfort zone most of the time!

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options

Debbie - I've got a couple of freezers to defrost. One I can't open the top drawer at all now! They aren't huge, thankfully, but still a tedious job. Thanks for the inspiration!

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

The freezer was so bad that I couldn't put anything in or open the door without a few things falling out. Had to pass up some great sales because there was no room.
    Now I am motivated to do the freezer part of the garage fridge. The freezer part of the kitchen fridge has been done but I want to do it again and move most of it to the garage freezer to make it easier to find things we use often. Need them organized too.