WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Tracey - I love your writing. I get a very vivid picture of your life. <3
    My younger son was diagnosed ADHD a couple of years ago. And I'm sure my friend G is also, although she is loathe to admit it. She believes her difficulties are the result of 'mental illness'. Some undoubtedly are. But ADHD can make life very difficult and tiring. As can being on the spectrum, as so much extra mental space and energy is taken up by doing the everyday things that neurotypical people take for granted, as Machka described.

I don't write at the weekend, so I have some time to maybe visit the art shop to buy some colours I am missing. I want more watercolour white and some gouache in a dusty pink, and gouache black to make grey. I'm still determined to paint a picture in my son's colours. I will do it portrait.

Going to have black pudding and fried apples tonight. DH can have potatoes. I think I will have Brittany cider, as it's not too alcoholic, and it really compliments the dish.

Some new research out about the value of doing art for our brains. Art being anything creative, like writing, cooking, crocheting, dancing, doodling. Reduces anxiety, and expands our sense of ourselves in the world. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Saturday --

Spent a little over an hour in the garden.

Walked on treadmill: 5.66 km in 1:00:28 at 10:41 /km pace.

wbsphp0ccl15.png

7xxhf9p80gam.png

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    KJ - The good thing is, he is young. :D I remember so many awful things happening on holiday at that age, and it was par for the course. But I would never have called my parents! Luckily communication was harder in those days!

Karen - I think a lot about the people pleasers on this thread. Today I was listening to the latest podcast on 'Good Mourning', which is often interesting. This one had Natalie Lue on, who has written a book called, 'The Joy of Saying No'. It really was one of the best podcasts I have ever heard. Partly because of her take on boundaries, but also because of talking about 'complicated grief', which affects my friend L. Anyway, it's definitely worth a listen.
    I'm so glad you are finding friends. I have never been good at 'couple friends '. I'm more of a 'one to one' gal. But everyone is different, thank goodness. :D

I went to the art shop and spent a fortune! :o:# Paint is very expensive. But I've got what I need and also stuff for DH that he was low on. I also bought him a black watercolour pad for one of his anniversary presents. :) I've got a new idea for a painting of my son and DDIL. I need some profile photos.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Debbie - I don’t know what I would do with that many freezers. I have never owned a deep freezer only ever had the fridge one. Currently I’m not even doing big grocery shops as we throw too much out. I usually stop at the store on my way home to grab for supper.

My cousin has a new granddaughter, a whole 7 hours old as I write this. Her name is Reece James. James was my cousin’s Dad. I never would have thought of James as a girl name, but I like it. Her big sister Rylee is over the moon. She is 7. She told her Grandma that she will get diapers for her Mom but she’s not changing any butts.

Tracey in Edmonton

We have two small chest freezers and the freezer over our fridge.

I like having a freezer and bought one myself after my first husband and I separated way back when. That one was gifted to my parents when I moved to Australia and they still use it.

My current husband and I had one small chest freezer pretty much from when I moved to Australia but we got the second one when we started harvesting things from our garden. The pair came in really handy during the shutdown!

We eat a lot of frozen stuff, especially frozen veggies which take up a lot of room.

But right now the one we use garden produce is empty or pretty close to it because we've been eating the produce as it comes ripe.

M in Oz

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    It occurred to me while reading Lisa and Machka's discussion that many of us can be on some sort of spectrum. For the most part, I am just happy to be surrounded with diversity and different styles-I can learn from them and it keeps my mind moving!

Ginny - You're absolutely right, and the follow-on, of course, is that no human is "typical," per se. I love the word "spectrum," both for its visible and invisible elements. Remember in science class, when we were playing with prisms? I loved those - that a plain, white light could enter one side and separate into every visible color, as well as ones that we could not see. The concept that there were colors I would never see fascinated me.
    4hvlcyg9cp75.png
    aundy28570 wrote: »
    How do you stay on track when the my husband fixes breakfast in bed and home made strawberry cake with the strawberries the grandkids picked up. Today I'm 56 and have been a lil spoiled, well alot. It's so hard to have the motivation I need. Oh well, guess I can start another day.

First - Happy Birthday! Second, say "thank you!" take a bite, put the fork down, and go on - the whole "start another day" thing is how many of us get ourselves to overweight. That's when you eat something you think you're not supposed to, then you give yourself permission to eat everything for the rest of the day, and "go on my diet tomorrow." Or "start on Monday." I used to call it "Last Supper Syndrome," where I would eat everything in the house on Saturday and Sunday that I couldn't eat if I was on a diet.

You can stop that cycle if you choose, by starting now. You do not have to eat an entire piece of cake, not ever. That said, it's not a sin or a tragedy to eat that bite, either. If you eat those calories now, just take away some later. It's just food, not love. We talk about stuff like this a lot - stay with us, you'll get lots of support.

Tracey - Thank you for the compliment! As Heather said, I love the way you write, as well. You bring me into your family with every word

Karen - Being raised in the South, the whole "be nice," thing is basically a construction for "shut up, you're making me uncomfortable." I'd be unhappy with it too. The couples you've found, though, sound wonderful.

Allie - Miles looked like he was supervising the whole process, making sure daddy did the mowing right. He seems like such a little sweetheart.

Chilly morning, but it's supposed to be a beautiful day...

Love y'all,
    Lisa

• myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    KJ—I am happy to see the art & favorite objects on my walls. I have a number of framed pictures that I have protected with careful packing. I will add them to walls when I have a bigger place. 🌹

Katla
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Machka ~ I have every one of the signs you listed as neurodivergent. One thing that wasn't listed is I cannot stand to be seated between people and always want to sit on the outside of the row.

I have to say that I am one of those "Be Nice" people. I hate conflict. On the other hand, I also have to admit that many times I have been blunt and said exactly what I thought when asked for my opinion. I have been working on that. So guess there is an "in-between."

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    How do you stay on track when the my husband fixes breakfast in bed and home made strawberry cake with the strawberries the grandkids picked up. Today I'm 56 and have been a lil spoiled, well alot. It's so hard to have the motivation I need. Oh well, guess I can start another day.

Happy birthday!
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Margaret ~ You are very talented.

Terri ~ Healing thoughts for you.

Carol in GA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate sunny morning walks. Very calming.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 7/15(100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 18/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min HIIT -2x a day start April 1 24/60
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 16/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)
    PT— head. 4/17. Started 4/13/23
    Hands 3/17

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 5/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, 9491,10170, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 5/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 29/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)35/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 18/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 16/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Morning done. Will do in evening.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh. I will as soon as I can! Did this with friends.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise. Hmmmm tbd
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement. I’ll try.
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge. Already have goals: Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week, Walk 7,000 every day, 6 min HIIT -2x a day, Arm weights twice a week
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside. I will do. Vet this morning then normal day, so will be able to do this.
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time. Easy Peasy!
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation. I will meditate and try to find time for yoga too. I did all I wanted to do.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing). I can’t sing but will sing along with music anyway. Sang “When the ants go marching in” during my walk.
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things. OOOH, this sounds like fun.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds. I will tend my container garden. I have watered it but need to remove dead leaves from tomato plants.
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class. Not sure if I will have time today. Did not have time today.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often. After the last 2 days, this is a welcome change!
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today. I did that on Tuesday but will try again today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day. Ahhhhh. But forgot to do it.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it. Going to try to remember to do this.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • Machka9
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Machka ~ I have every one of the signs you listed as neurodivergent. One thing that wasn't listed is I cannot stand to be seated between people and always want to sit on the outside of the row.

I have to say that I am one of those "Be Nice" people. I hate conflict. On the other hand, I also have to admit that many times I have been blunt and said exactly what I thought when asked for my opinion. I have been working on that. So guess there is an "in-between."

Carol in GA

Yes, it goes with not wanting to be touched. My personal space is huge and having someone sitting right beside me means they are sitting in my personal space.

In lecture theatres at uni, I would be the one way off in the least populated corner with no one around me!

M in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options

Happy Birthday! I've had to change my mindset in regards to healthy eating. It's a way of life, not a diet. So, one day does not change my lifestyle... it's just part of my life. I would not reject the love offerings of my family for one day!

Beth near Buffalo