WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,889 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate smiles first thing in the morning.

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 9/15(100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 24/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min HIIT -2x a day start April 1 25/60
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 25/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)
    PT— head. 5/17. Started 4/13/23
    Hands 16/17

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 9/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, 9491,10170, 8706, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 5/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 31/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)35/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 25/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 17/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Morning done. Will do in evening.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh. I will as soon as I can! Did this with friends.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise. Hmmmm tbd
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement. I’ll try.
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge. Already have goals: Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week, Walk 7,000 every day, 6 min HIIT -2x a day, Arm weights twice a week
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside. I will do. Vet this morning then normal day, so will be able to do this.
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time. Easy Peasy!
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation. I will meditate and try to find time for yoga too. I did all I wanted to do.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing). I can’t sing but will sing along with music anyway. Sang “When the ants go marching in” during my walk.
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things. OOOH, this sounds like fun.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds. I will tend my container garden. I have watered it but need to remove dead leaves from tomato plants.
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class. Not sure if I will have time today. Did not have time today.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often. After the last 2 days, this is a welcome change!
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today. I did that on Tuesday but will try again today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day. Ahhhhh. But forgot to do it.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it. Going to try to remember to do this. Forgot.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor. I do this every day in my hosting.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting. Will do! I love doing this.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself. Did this!
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes. Already did this today, first thing in the morning.
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,486 Member
    Options
    👍🏼
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Pip - the cabinets look amazing. It's exactly what I want when we get ours redone. Couple years off, still, but a girl can dream. :smile:

Annie - Sounds like a couple of tough days. Glad you're working with the PT folks.

Heather - Johnny is a saint among men. :smiley: What a charming picture.

Got through the test with minimal trauma this morning - they're always less disturbing than I predict when I'm dreading them. Had to bolt a quart of contrast, which just tasted like stale water, wait an hour, lay on a sort of mini-MRI table, with just a donut at one end. They put an IV in for another contrast, fed that in at the ten-minute mark, ten more minutes of sliding in and out of the donut, and I was done. Talking to the PCP tomorrow over the phone. At least I don't have to go anywhere, or fast beforehand.
    \
    More cold and rainy all day tomorrow and Thursday, too.

Later, my lovelies,
    Lisa in AR

glad your test went better than expected- I found out the hard way that I am very allergic to the contrast they used on me-(iodine). and SUPER claustrophobic on the scan that is enclosed(don't remember if it is the MRI or CT
    Two different ones that were both terrible, in different ways

The enclosed one is the MRI ... or as I like to call it "Nap Time!" I fall asleep in them.

I think I have had more MRIs than CTs because I get the MRIs for joint issues and to monitor my brain cyst.

I'm in one or the other at least once a year.

M in Oz

That MRI was the worst thing ever for me. I was in for frozen shoulder. Didn't realize I was claustrophobic until they put me in that. I was shaking so bad she had to stop a few times. I ended up with my eyes covered with a cool cloth and my hands under my thighs just to try and stop some of the shaking. I remember hearing her voice and thinking great, I made it, just to hear her say, You're doing great. We are HALF way through.
    I was in so much pain so couldn't reschedule it for a time they could sedate me. I would need a ride home and dh was heading to China for two weeks the following day. We didn't know if there was a tear in my shoulder or if it was frozen.
    After it was finally done, scans were good enough to see but not great because of the shaking, I had to hold onto the wall as I walked out and sat in my car for 20 minutes before I could safely drive the ten minutes home.
    Since that, the claustrophia is so much worse. I have always had a little nervous twitch that happens when I am tired or nervous and now just thinking about being in small places gets them started.
    I would rather drive across a bridge(I HATE that worse than almost anything-major twitches from that, having them now, just thinking about that) than have another MRI unless they sedate me.

Not knowing if the shoulder was frozen or damaged, I didn't move it until we knew for sure- worst thing I could have done- by the time we found out, it was frozen completely, basically no movement at all. Thankfully PT worked it and got full movement back after months of work on it. Now, if I feel it tightening up at all, I start working it like crazy. Don't want to go through that again.

DH is like you, could sleep very easily and has.

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    supposed to be 84 today, 86 tomorrow. I will go walk a little early today, have class tonight
    Should work in the garden but also have some chores inside I need to do, like put laundry away.

Nick is home but dh hasn't seen him yet. Waiting for him to ask for dh to come over or at least, give him more time.
    As of now, he won't be going back with his mom and sister as he has to be here for his follow-up appointments with the psych dept. Glad he has to keep going to see the doctor but sad that his mom won't be taking him back with her now like she had planned. We just want what is best for him.

Destiny just had her 15th birthday(I made a mistake and thought she was already 15 in previous posts).
    The family made a trip to San Diego to celebrate her birthday and her brothers 13th birthday-they are two days apart . She is still in a lot of pain, hard to find a comfortable way to sit/lay. Still smiling in all the pictures.

Dh and I will be doing a toy show on Saturday so we are going through boxes, getting more stuff set aside to take up. We are hoping to be inside the hanger and not outside. It is supposed to be in the 90's in Vacaville so not looking forward to that. Hope to sell more stuff- more we sell, the less that goes back in storage.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Machka - Your botanical gardens are gorgeous. Whenever we visit a city we always head to the botanical gardens. Always a joy.

DH has gone dizzy! He had a similar thing happen when he was painting the pottery last week! I think it must be something connected to concentrating so hard on his pieces. He has a tendency to dizziness, but this is very upsetting for him. Staring hard at something so near for ages obviously disturbs his visual system. I will encourage him to take visual and physical breaks.
    I'm hoping he is better for the girls tomorrow. I have booked and paid for my train ticket, but I can’t leave him like this! Every time he gets up his head swims horribly. :o
    We have Moroccan chicken tonight, with preserved lemons and olives. He is waiting to see if he can eat it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Pip--Love the new cabinets also. I would sure like them when we do our kitchen. With me being only 5'1 it would be nice to not have to climb inside to reach what I need.
    Heather--How scary for DH. Pray he is better.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Kim —The photos of your California Poppies peeking through your fence are delightful. ❤️

Pip—Your cabinets are perfect. They look great. ⭐️

Barbie—I am in complete agreement with your comment about the hazards of chest freezers. Our daughter fell into the chest freezer that was in our garage. I helped her out of the freezer. She got dressed for school & got on the school bus. Luckily she wasn’t hurt. I emptied the contents of the freezer into a picnic cooler and dragged the freezer out to the end of our driveway with a free sign on it. It disappeared shortly after she climbed into the school bus. After that scare we bought 2 upright freezers. 👍🏻

Heather—I am so sorry that your DH has had dizziness episodes. I hope it resolves itself quickly. Your encouraging him to take breaks is wise. I hope he’s feeling better. ⭐️ ❤️

Katla
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Heather - hope Johnny feels better quite soon. It would be hard to leave him in that state after previous issues with this, I'm sure. I'd found my own dizziness coming back of late until I realized that it only occurs when I stand up after having sat with my legs crossed at the knees. As soon as I stopped crossing my legs that way, the dizziness subsided. It sounds as if his dizzy spells have to do with vision - has he had his glasses prescription checked recently? Sorry - you know we all want to fix things for each other, I'm not immune. :blush:

Debbie - I'm sorry the MRI process is so traumatic for you. I'm glad you've found a PT resolution for the frozen shoulder, it sounds incredibly painful.

KJ - Congrats on the weight loss! I love it when you have time to spend with us to write about your days. You're a very vivid writer.

Re: Claustrophobia. So much sympathy for the claustrophobes. I'm actually not claustrophobic, but I found when I went to Carlsbad Caverns that I will never be a spelunker. As we went deeper and deeper into the caves, I felt all the earthen weight above me begin to press on me, to the point I couldn't catch my breath. Had to cut my tour short and get back up to the surface world. Quite easy to avoid caves in my life, so hasn't been too much of a problem! :smiley:

It is a dreary day outside here, and it feels as if it's transferring some of the gray into my mood. I need to yank myself out of this, quit the internal "it's not fair" monologue, and just do something or make something that will make me feel better.

Onward and upward, kiddos...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes... been there, done that!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did the Results Boost Your Metabolism DVD then took my walk. Got my hair trimmed. Just went to the local college’s salon. Cheap enough. I think I may have talked Vince into just giving it a try.

Missed one of the shows at the Green Room. I forgot to write it down in the calendar right after I bought the tickets. Oh well…..

Vince did get the robotic cleaner’s top out of the pool. I remember I kept feeling something in the deep end, but didn’t think it was that. At least it’s out.

KJ – those cones sound delish

kylia – so glad you don’t have to take any new meds. I’m not a fan at all of meds unless it’s absolutely necessary. Vince will take a med at the drop of a hat

Heather – so sorry about Johnny. It’s scary for him and you, I know

Had to touch up a couple of my ceramics where the paint chipped. Just used some acrylic since I really didn’t want to fire these pieces again. Although she sprayed them with whatever they spray it with, I also sprayed them with this clear gloss. By the time they were somewhat dried, I just put them back in the garage to dry fully. Maybe tomorrow I’ll put them out.

Off to go work on the jigsaw puzzle some and then have dinner.

Michele NC
    Pg 70
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options