WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Interesting questions arising around these parts.

Cremation vs. burying - One of my mother's fears was being buried and still be intact for ages, so she requested that she not be embalmed. She wanted to go back to the earth. Texas law gave us 24 hours to get her in the ground. I, on the other hand, wish to be cremated. The family joke is that I want my ashes put in an urn on the mantel, and stick wiggly eyes on the outside, so I can check out Corey's new girlfriends. In all honesty, I simply don't care, I just don't want to be buried and have people visit me in that spot. Kylia - I've told my family I will haunt them if they bury me, too! :smiley:

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa

Kylia doesn't want to be in an urn on a shelf ... you don't want to be buried. :)

I'm happy being cremated and buried. I'd like to be scattered in a favourite spot, but I think that's illegal and I wouldn't want to put pressure on my survivors in any way.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    I have already bought and paid for my cremation and I want to be scattered
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,112 Member
    Options
    Carol, a moderate start is the smart thing to do! Yay for 2500 steps! The beginning is a test of the arrangements. Are your shoes working? Music or podcast or audiobook? Hydration? Route? Give yourself time to adjust, and keep on keeping on! It's a marvelous beginning!

Annie in Delaware
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    DH & I were married 54 years ago in an ancient whale lookout station on the Oregon Coast overlooking the cliffs & Pacific Ocean below. Whales were passing below & migrating north as we were being married. When we pass away, we want our ashes scattered together from there. Hopefully that will happen many years to come.

My uncle had his ashes scattered into his favorite fishing spot in the Nestucca River, also in Oregon.

Katla
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    💖
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    So sad to hear that Harry Belafonte passed away.. 96 is a great age to attain and he did many great things
    My mom had many of his albums so grew up listening to his music.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Barbie ... We do not have any elaborate plan. If no one survives us or no one is interested, the funeral home will take care of burying us in our plots and having the stone engraving completed. Everything will have been paid for.

Beth

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Lynnette It probably is aliens in the radio! The loaner they gave us is a 2023 Subaru Ascent with all the toys and IT”S radio did the same thing to me!!!! LOL

HIPPA I was working in IT at a regional hospital when it was put into place. What a job and so many problems with the computer systems, and patients too! Had to deal with emails sent to insurance companies and doctor offices being encrypted and all sorts of network and internet issues. I am no lover of HIPPA. I understand why it was put into place but the problems!!! OUCH!

April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate my walks.

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 9/15(100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 22/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min HIIT -2x a day start April 1 25/60
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 25/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)
    PT— head. 5/17. Started 4/13/23
    Hands 15/17

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, 9491,10170, 8706, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 5/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 31/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)35/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 23/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 17/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening. Morning done. Will do in evening.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh. I will as soon as I can! Did this with friends.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise. Hmmmm tbd
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement. I’ll try.
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge. Already have goals: Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week, Walk 7,000 every day, 6 min HIIT -2x a day, Arm weights twice a week
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside. I will do. Vet this morning then normal day, so will be able to do this.
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time. Easy Peasy!
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation. I will meditate and try to find time for yoga too. I did all I wanted to do.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing). I can’t sing but will sing along with music anyway. Sang “When the ants go marching in” during my walk.
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things. OOOH, this sounds like fun.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds. I will tend my container garden. I have watered it but need to remove dead leaves from tomato plants.
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class. Not sure if I will have time today. Did not have time today.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often. After the last 2 days, this is a welcome change!
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today. I did that on Tuesday but will try again today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day. Ahhhhh. But forgot to do it.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it. Going to try to remember to do this. Forgot.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor. I do this every day in my hosting.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting. Will do! I love doing this.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself. I’ll try.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Beth ~ thanks for the suggestion of light embalming. I had never heard of that.

Carol in GA
    s
  • kevrit
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Been in a real funk this last 10 days or so. I am retaining water too for no visible reason, making me depressed as I have been working really hard on losing weight by exercise, logging, meditating, religiously. This past week, once I went up 4 pounds overnight, has been very depressing so of course, and I know its wrong, am eating my emotions and lazy about exercise and meditation. IDK what kicked it off, no major drama around me, just in a mood. Maybe I am fighting off a bug of some kind. Even so, I hope it goes away soon.

Did I tell you ladies that my haunted radio is finally being fixed? Had to drive 2.5 hours to Lubbock TX to the Subaru dealer, leave my car for 10 -14 days so they could fix the radio, and go back once done. At least they gave us a loaner brand new Subaru Ascent which I like the SUV, fully loaded, but the gas mileage is terrible. Funny thing….. radio started acting haunted on this vehicle too! LOL. Their problem, not mine.

RVRita

Aliens!

YUP!! For all of it!! 🛸🤖🛸👽👾👽👁️

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Cremation/Burial I prefer cremation. Someone on here posted about a biodegradable urn, I would love that and be put into the Ocean, or a river. I want to be a part of the nature I love. Either that or planting a tree in the URN to be planted when large enough in a forest somewhere. There is a Buddhist saying that nothing really dies. Life just changes into something else. Such as a cow eats grass, it nourishes him and the diffuse nourishes the dirt which grows the grass which feed to cattle, etc. Just a big circle. They say that everything is a part of everything if you think about the food you eat and how it came to be. So I want to contribute to this circle and not be preserved forever in the ground in a vault and do nothing for anything. I want to grow and travel and feed other life.

All paraphrased of course but you get the drift. Not reincarnation but life begets life. Just my thoughts.

Namaste! LOL

RVRita 🙏✌️😌🕊️☮️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Regarding cremation/scattering. I have the cremains of DH and 3 dogs here at the house. He never really had a "favorite place" so it's up to me. If we were still at the farm I'd have some nice places to scatter him and the pups. Long ago, he and an old friend decided they'd be dumped in a hollow stump in the friend's woods. Since then that part of the forest has been logged and who knows where the stump is. :D Something will come up.

It wasn't too long ago that a lot of the ancestry records were based on info inscribed on headstones. People could walk through a cemetery and find great-great uncle Bert's headstone, confirm birth and death dates and perhaps gather info on a wife or child or two and military service. So I'm considering leaving some $$ for my records to be engraved on my parent's headstone for posterity, don't need to have my ashes interred there.

Beth - I know a lot of folks back in my hometown purchased the headstones, had their names and birthdates engraved years prior to their deaths. When they passed, that part was filled in. I might get married three more times so I'm stalling, lol. :D

Barbie - I'm looking into Medcure as well. Sounds like a good arrangement. If I lived closer to Seattle, I'd maybe get signed up with U of Washington, I don't think they come down this far to get "clients." ;)

Neighbor Roger is planning to come over this afternoon and we'll finish chickenville and get it set in place. Looking at the weather report, the girls will be transferred to their new home on Thursday, it's tentative right now. I think they will be more than ready. We'll have a few warm nights and days for them to get accustomed to it all.

I just started reading "Virgin River" last night. Hard to put it down! :)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    B
    Lisa - I have a crystal like that. I should put it in my window.
    I am purchasing items to get Michaela to make a craft for me. Beads are more expensive than I was expecting.

I’m responding for two days because I forgot to post last night.

Tracey in Edmonton

Have you checked the local thrift stores for beads? I get a lot of mine at one of ours.