WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Been in a real funk this last 10 days or so. I am retaining water too for no visible reason, making me depressed as I have been working really hard on losing weight by exercise, logging, meditating, religiously. This past week, once I went up 4 pounds overnight, has been very depressing so of course, and I know its wrong, am eating my emotions and lazy about exercise and meditation. IDK what kicked it off, no major drama around me, just in a mood. Maybe I am fighting off a bug of some kind. Even so, I hope it goes away soon.

Did I tell you ladies that my haunted radio is finally being fixed? Had to drive 2.5 hours to Lubbock TX to the Subaru dealer, leave my car for 10 -14 days so they could fix the radio, and go back once done. At least they gave us a loaner brand new Subaru Ascent which I like the SUV, fully loaded, but the gas mileage is terrible. Funny thing….. radio started acting haunted on this vehicle too! LOL. Their problem, not mine.

RVRita

Aliens!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Tracey--I love the pillow Michaela made. For her first project she did a great job.
    Kim--The poppy pictures were beautiful.
    Terri--Glad you are home and getting settled in.
    Weekend went by to fast. Life is flying by. I did spend time on Saturday with my DDIL and DGD. Enjoyed that. Rest of weekend did what needed to be done, but just wanted to be home. New work week starting today and I am back to my normal 50 hour week. I just pray they let me hire someone soon.
    Rita-- I can relate to being just feeling off. Can't pin anything down. I feel like I am going back to the time where I did not go out of my house for over a year. Spent all day cleaning one end to the other and start over. Started drinking.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

You are feeling off because you are working too much!

I've done 50 and 60 hour work weeks, but I was a lot younger then and it was for a new project at the place I was working, so it was exciting.

What would they say if you went in and announced you were going to do a 9-day fortnight?

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of uninstalling Outlook and reinstalling it but I am hesitating ... M in Oz

Machka - why would you need to?

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

It's not behaving itself. I can't send emails with it. It's not syncing. Half the time it indicates it's open, but it's not.

I have several email accounts linked to it, and I am pretty sure if I uninstalled and reinstalled, I could link them all up again and keep my emails but I'm trying to think what I might have to back up just in case.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    My thoughts on cremation -
    My family and community growing up were traditionally buried. I didn’t know anyone that had been cremated until my dad. He had discussed it with us and we did bury his urn with my sister that was lost at birth the year before I was born. When the time comes we will do the same with my Mom.
    I don’t like it. Intellectually, I know, that when you visit a grave the person is not really there, but it feels different visiting dad than my grandparents right beside him.
    Rodger’s dad was also cremated and his family all wanted some of the ashes.
    Some of them bought necklaces that have ashes in them. DH bought a little urn to come home with and had a ring made. Our youngest daughter did a necklace, it’s a teddy bear, as she collected them when she was young and for the Red Sovine song called Teddy Bear. She wrapped her necklace around a base with a couple flowers from the funeral. Our eldest daughter, bought a music note as her and her grandfather’s shared a love of old country. She did not put ashes in hers but took a little piece of a shirt of my Dad’s in it. She thought it would honour both grandparents.
    I don’t feel comfortable with any of this and wonder where you go to “visit” my FIL. What do I do with this little urn of ashes? Do I have to will it? I can’t just throw it in the garbage. I’m torn. I am probably overthinking all of this, but it is a problem I’m sure I’ll have to deal with at some point.

Tracey in Edmonton

I don't visit my deceased relatives at their graves. The remains of their bodies are there, but they are not.

I visit my grandmother (for example) when I am in the garden doing similar things to what she used to do. I talk to her out there. :)

In February, a couple visited us from Canada, they knew my grandparents and parents way back when and continued to keep in touch with them over the years. I showed them our garden and I was so pleased when they commented that it was something like what my grandmother did with her garden.

As for cremation ...
    I look at it as a way to take up less ground space. My grandmother's body was (likely) cremated and the ashes were buried in a cemetery somewhere next to my grandfather (who may have been cremated too). Thinking about it, I don't actually know what happened to their bodies after they died.

I knew someone who worked for a cemetery in the UK, and told me that they are burying people on top of each other because they are running out of room. Cremation helps reduce that problem because the little box of ashes doesn't take up much room.

Personally, I would not want an urn with someone's ashes in my house because there is a social expectation to protect it.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Allie, You can diagnose your food intolerances even before the official tests. If you are logging your food on MFP, you can easily see what you are eating and notice bad reactions. I gave up beef many years ago when I noticed that I had terrible diarrhea the next morning after eating beef and it didn't happen after eating other food. Same thing happened a few years later with peanuts and cashews. Years ago I got terrible stomach cramps after eating avocado. I don't eat those things any more and I don't have those symptoms (unless I cheat and eat peanut butter LOL).

:) Our neighborhood will have a dumpster this week for residents to get rid of stuff too big for garbage cans. We have the back of the car loaded with stuff we want to get rid of. With a little sweeping, the garage will look infinitely better.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I did an elimination test in my mid-20s when I began to suspect that certain foods weren't sitting well with me.

I confirmed that peanuts, peas and related aren't good for me. They leave me horribly bloated and painfully crampy. And I discovered I have to take it easy with citrus fruit because I break out in a bit of a rash on my face.

I had already done a lactose-intolerance test and found I was I am mild-moderately lactose intolerant.

I know that peppers, especially green peppers, leave me feeling blech - horrible heartburn.

Mushrooms make me queasy.

Beef doesn't sit well ... it can make me feel flu-ish.

Nuts (cashews, almonds, etc.) are a sure-fire way to get everything moving! And cashews make me all congested too.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    v55vet22wm66.png
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Nice peaceful bicycle ride after time in the garden ...

pqhjtzr63vbj.png

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Beth I agree about hippa going out the door especially early on. Lots of information being sent out loud.
    Carol My DH'S situation is different and complicated. So no, I have to have my own at this point in time.

Cremation I like Heather's thinking. I just don't want to be put in a box and put under ground. I have felt that way for as long as I can remember. No fancy urns and someone better pick up my ashes and scatter them in the wind. I don't want a funeral. I will haunt anyone that "keeps" my ashes on a shelf.

Made fried chicken in air fryer last night. DH asked what I was burning as house was so smokey. It was good, but took an hour to get the smoke out!

One of the disadvantages of being a young parent and young grandparent is not having as much time to spend with grands since still working full time. It doesn't help that they are so busy these days. I miss them,but do enjoy the times with them.

Food sensitivity I know I can't eat too much dairy or pork (neither stays with me long). Recently realized that if I eat cow, I get bloated and miserable. Turkey gives me a migraine. Still trying to figure out the nut thing.....moderation seems to work. Too many cashews give me a migraine.

I cleared out 1000 emails from one account last night. I really should check more often. Still need to do second one. I go through work ones every day....too many! I did this while watching "Rebecca ". It was a really good movie. Took a break from work for the night.

Have a wonderful day!
    I hope you get to enjoy some sunshine!

Much ❤️,
    Kylia in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding eating meat ...

Signs That Your Body Might Not Be Properly Digesting Meat
    https://www.geelongmedicalgroup.com.au/2018/02/signs-that-your-body-might-not-be-properly-digesting-meat

M in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Interesting questions arising around these parts.

Food allergies - During these last few years of ongoing batteries of tests to try to get a diagnosis, one of the things they did was check on a number of food allergies and sensitivies. This included celiac disease, wheat allergy, lactose, eggs, beef, chocolate, corn, fish/shellfish, lamb/mutton, milk/cow allergy, peanuts, pork, and soybeans. Tests showed that I have no sensitivities or allergies to specific foods at all. Frustrated the doctors, but there have been no easy answers.

Cremation vs. burying - One of my mother's fears was being buried and still be intact for ages, so she requested that she not be embalmed. She wanted to go back to the earth. Texas law gave us 24 hours to get her in the ground. I, on the other hand, wish to be cremated. The family joke is that I want my ashes put in an urn on the mantel, and stick wiggly eyes on the outside, so I can check out Corey's new girlfriends. In all honesty, I simply don't care, I just don't want to be buried and have people visit me in that spot. Kylia - I've told my family I will haunt them if they bury me, too! :smiley:

Tracey - everyone has emotional reactions one way or another, and your feelings are valid. For me, I went back to visit my mother's grave once - and there was just no sense on my part of her being there at all. She was gone--and I see her now in the children and grandchildren who loved her. And the mirror. Apparently I look more and more like her every year.

Time to get moving and get in a quick shower... Need to leave in 45 minutes to get to town for the tests. I have to get the contrast and drink it at 8 a.m., and then they'll do the scan at 9.

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Here with Miles who is sleeping on my shoulder right now..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    (((Barbara)))
  • Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good morning!
    I cleared out 1000 emails from one account last night. I really should check more often. Still need to do second one. I go through work ones every day....too many! I did this while watching "Rebecca ". It was a really good movie. Took a break from work for the night.

Have a wonderful day!
    I hope you get to enjoy some sunshine!

Much ❤️,
    Kylia in Ohio

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with my emails!!

I've got to figure out how to reign things in a bit.

I have 5 active accounts (including 2 work accounts) and some days I get 100+ emails a day between them. If I don't do anything with my emails for a couple days because I'm busy with something else, I'm swamped and it takes a couple days to deal with them. But in that time, more have come in ... so I'm always behind.

If I can keep my home Inbox down to about 40 emails which I haven't dealt with, that's good. Tonight, I got it down to 35!! :)

I also changed the settings on one account that has been sending me at least 2 emails a day. I'm hoping my change might bring it down to maybe 2 emails a week.

I need to go through several of these accounts to get them to slow the flow.

M in Oz