Do you enjoy certain excercises more than others?

Options
For example, I love OVH press and curls but dread bench press lol. Or deadlifts over sqauts!

I also look forward to specific days.
I can't tell if it's motivation or the exercise itself.🤣

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I think everyone has their favorite exercises and exercises they don’t really like to do that often and unfortunately that usually will lead to a muscular imbalance where the favored lifts get better and those muscles get stronger and the lift that aren’t as enjoyable end up making those muscles not gain strength.

A good approach is to try to emphasize the lifts you don’t like much to make sure that those muscle group don’t get overlooked. You can also try to substitute different lifts that you may enjoy more for the under worked muscles.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Love running, hate lifting. I just do it because it's good for me. It's helped fill out the flab from my weight loss.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I slightly prefer back >> chest | arms >> shoulders, and I still do them all.

I may procrastinate starting on leg day, but I never skip it, and once I've started I enjoy it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Overhead presses are my kryponite due to a shoulder injury I got a few years ago, love bench presses and squats. Overall though pull day is my favourite
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    A good approach is to try to emphasize the lifts you don’t like much to make sure that those muscle group don’t get overlooked.

I used to despise squats, so I intentionally refocused my program to include MORE squats. Now I actually enjoy squats as my preferred leg exercise.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    A good approach is to try to emphasize the lifts you don’t like much to make sure that those muscle group don’t get overlooked.

I used to despise squats, so I intentionally refocused my program to include MORE squats. Now I actually enjoy squats as my preferred leg exercise.
    lol, I still hate squats and will always hate squats, they’re an exercise invented by the devil himself but I do em anyway.

There are some good alternatives also to consider. Split squats, etc…

• I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes I enjoy secs more than any other exercise.
    On a serious note, anything that blows up my shoulders and that is typically OHP as well
  • christinefrano
    christinefrano Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @tomcustombuilder I despise bulgarian split squats!!😩 But I always do em, and never regret it. It's a love/hate relationship lol.
  • christinefrano
    christinefrano Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My 2nd upper of the week is a longer/intense workout so mentally it can be hard starting it. But it's also the best pump.😜

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm being a little b**** or I need to switch up movements to not get in a rut.
  • CalisthenicsTraining
    CalisthenicsTraining Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love push ups, it’s about all l do. A few days a week I will do weights for the body parts push ups doesn’t target. If my body could take it I would do push ups all day
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    If my body could take it I would do push ups all day

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, lol. Combined with 14 years in the military, I reckon I've done enough pushups to last me this life AND the next.

Like most guys, chest day used to be my favorite day, but unfortunately I'm one of those who developed muscular imbalance, which when combined with poor weekly planning (multiple chest days plus a separate shoulder day) and too-rapid increase in weights finally peaked in injury to both shoulders. Narrowly avoided surgery, lost six months of lifting while I rehabbed, lost tons of sleep from the pain, not a pretty picture.

These days, my favorite lifting day is "today", as in whatever's on the docket when I wake up in the morning. I've learned the hard way to keep balance.
  • CalisthenicsTraining
    CalisthenicsTraining Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    If my body could take it I would do push ups all day

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, lol. Combined with 14 years in the military, I reckon I've done enough pushups to last me this life AND the next.

Like most guys, chest day used to be my favorite day, but unfortunately I'm one of those who developed muscular imbalance, which when combined with poor weekly planning (multiple chest days plus a separate shoulder day) and too-rapid increase in weights finally peaked in injury to both shoulders. Narrowly avoided surgery, lost six months of lifting while I rehabbed, lost tons of sleep from the pain, not a pretty picture.

These days, my favorite lifting day is "today", as in whatever's on the docket when I wake up in the morning. I've learned the hard way to keep balance.

Yeah, my favourite day was chest. Then I started get bigger and stronger on shoulders and that became my favourite day, then it was back. I haven’t been to a gym since lockdown. I’ve dabbled with weights at home on and off. Now all I need is space to lay on the floor and a pair of dumbbells