Hitting protein targets

Options
Hi does anyone else struggle to reach their protein target daily? Trying to add muscle but I find getting plenty of protein hard
Tagged:

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    What is your protein target and what is your height and weight?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's a piece of cake. Thanks to whatever amount of protein powder or bars, and milk or Greek yogurt, as needed to hit my target. Don't eat cake for this goal btw.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Nope, no trouble with routinely exceeding 1g per pound of estimated LBM, which I figure is plenty. I find it doable even as a vegetarian.

Suggestion:

Assuming you're logging food, review your diary regularly. Look for foods with a relatively high calorie cost that aren't comensurately important to you for satiation, other nutrition, or overall happiness. Reduce those (portion size or frequency) or eliminate them altogether.

Use those calories to add foods you enjoy eating that better help you meet your goals.

Even think about adding small bits of protein via sides, beverages, veggies, fruits, snacks. There are breads with more protein, grains with more protein, etc. If you like 'em, eat 'em. Those little add-on bits add up through the day.

Keep working at it, you'll get there.

There's a good thread in the Most Helpful Posts part of the Food and Nutrition section of the MFP Community about getting protein. It's hard for me to link it on this device. Maybe someone else can give you a direct link, or I'll try to remember to do it later if no one else does.

Set reasonable goal (you don't need 1g per pound of an overweight body weight, for example). Chip away at improving your routine eating patterns to reach it. This can work.

Best wishes!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Quoting myself for context.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snip)

There's a good thread in the Most Helpful Posts part of the Food and Nutrition section of the MFP Community about getting protein. It's hard for me to link it on this device. Maybe someone else can give you a direct link, or I'll try to remember to do it later if no one else does.

(snip)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • Karen838
    Karen838 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to this too and i found hitting my protein target hard too but once I started using protein powder, adding it to oats, pancakes etc..helped if you don't like it, high protein greek yogurts and having little low calorie protein snacks eg: deli coldcuts etc it really helped. It took me a few weeks to build up to it though.

I now aim for .8 to 1 g per pound of body weight. Its really been a game changer for me. I am less hungry, more energy in the gym and I am seeing my body change, clothes fit better. I have not seen much of a difference on the scales.

Good luck 😊
  • AppleFitnessfan
    AppleFitnessfan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On days when my protein intake is low I like to eat a cup of plain Greek yogurt before going to bed. Adds an extra 20 grams to my count for the day.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 30 to 40g in each meal helps me. I build that into my day first then fit the rest round it. Examples oats with protein powder for breakfast or skyr and fruit, lunch chicken salad and yogurt or protein bar and then fish / chicken/ beef for dinner. 200g portion of meat with veggies and then a carb like pirate, lentils or rice
  • carolinepowell885
    carolinepowell885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It can be hard if you are trying to stay within a certain calorie goal as well. Protein powder is your friend. Gold Standard is what I use. I've tried Muscle Milk which I found to be the tastiest but is too high in calories for me. Isopure is excellent in protein per cal ratio but it's expensive and tastes like butt. Gold Standard is pretty much in the middle for me. I'd recommend the chocolate flavour whatever powder you choose
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you use the protein drinks, I really like the ready made Premier Protein shakes. They have 30 gm of protein for 160 calories. They are great for a quick snack or if you are out and about and don't want the calories of fast food. My favorite is salted carmel but the chocolate and vanilla are good also.