Hello... I am ready

Options
gjhall66
gjhall66 Posts: 1 Member
Sometimes it would be nice to be able to go back, talk to our younger selves, and explain how our eating habits will catch up with us. I know full well that I wouldn't listen, so here I am today. I'm 56 years old and the habits from my past have caught up with me. I am over weight, have high blood pressure with a high heart rate, pre-diabetic, have sleep apnea, and most recently I had an Afib episode. It's past time to make changes and I am ready to start making healthy choices and taking care of myself. I am excited to connect with people, learn as much as I can, and be held accountable when necessary!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,152 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

I hear what you're saying. I could go back and kick young Ann, honestly, for not doing a better job of looking out for me (her 67 y/o future self). That was especially true when I discovered how much simpler weight loss was than I'd ever expected . . . not easy psychologically every second, of course, but simpler mechanics than I'd imagined, and very doable. I'm now trying to do better for future Ann than young Ann did for me. ;)

When I got here at age 59, I had many of the things you mentioned: Class 1 obese, high BP, high cholesterol/triglycerides, sleep apnea, and some other stuff. Part way through weight loss (still at 59), my BP and blood lipids normalized, and they've stayed solidly normal since. On top of that, quality of life is better in so many ways.

With patience and persistence, you can make this work. I'm cheering for you!

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Why? You had doctors and loved ones doing this. Would it honestly have made any difference if you could talk to you? Wouldn’t have for me. I would have stuck my fingers in my ears, shouted nanananana and reached for another cinnamon twist doughnut.

I was 100% hostile to any concept of reeling it in. All I could think about was “do I have enough M&Ms/Geneva cookies/salt & vinegar chips to make it til the ride home so I can stop and get a key lime pie and some more candy to hide under my book for when no one’s looking?”

I can sincerely say that a food scale, this app, a fitness tracker and the final, belated realization at exactly your age of 56 that I had totally *kitten*ed up finally shook some sense into me.

Welcome to MFP. May you have the same earthmoving experience.