Ok to wear a white/gray patterned dress to a wedding

Options
124»

Replies

• mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you are doubting your choice I say find another dress. There are so many other colors and according to the fashion police "you aren't supposed to wear white after Labor Day". (I break this rule in Florida because it is summer 90% of the year!)
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you were invited then the couple trusts your judgment as a guest and won't mind what you wear as long as it doesn't make YOU uncomfortable. This dress is great, I see no issues with a patterned white... heck, half the brides nowadays don't even wear white! :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    No :ohwell:
    A thousand times no.

Brides are funny creatures...so are their minion :huh:
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    LOVE the pink dress! Great shade!
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes or no?

nFtvHyT.png

Everyone I've asked has says it's fine but I'm still hmmming and hawwing over it. Also I'm going stag and will be 6'1, 6'2 in my heels so I don't need to stand out in a negative way.

Give it to me straight MFP.

Definitely not. You don't want to risk making the bride feel like you are showing her up.

Any for of white is a big NO NO in my opinion.

A dress like this is in NO way 'showing up' a bride. This dress is perfectly fine in any occasion aside from a black tie event. If the dress is more formal, then it would be a no. But as it's a more business/Sunday best dress, it's perfectly appropriate.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to go with no.

I err on the side of caution. When in doubt, don't.
    This!
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    After reading all these 50/50 replies I don't feel so silly debating with myself about the dress so much!

Update for anyone who cares: I don't even have the dress anymore, I returned it (it's super nice but it's really summery and I'm hoping to be a few sizes smaller next summer!) and bought this one on sale instead:

U1dXUrV.jpg?1

And there's no possible way it could offend anyone or break any rules. Case closed! Thanks for playing everyone :drinker:
    Well done! I agree, this is much prettier!
    OP: SERIOUSLY THIS IS MUCH MUCH MUCH PRETTIER than the white dress. The hue of pink would look awesome with your complexion and hair color. Great choice to find another dress and to pick this one. WOW!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    No. Try to avoid white or off white in any dress. I really is extremely offensive to the bride, its her day and the couple should be given the utmost respect. No exceptions.

Ha! I am getting married in 18 days. My wedding dress is bright pink (technically "watermelon"). A guest wearing white wouldn't even cause anyone to bat an eyelash. :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Obviously not everyone would care and obviously not every bride even wears a white dress. And I understand about not wanting to follow rules. But, when it is some other person's wedding, I don't make decisions about breaking a minor rule or deciding how they should or shouldn't feel. I just follow the simple rule of avoiding white because I wouldn't want to risk causing any drama (at an already heightened emotional time for a lot of people, not just the bride, weddings can tend to bring up all kinds of emotions for people for all kinds of reasons). At this point it's such a well known rule that to wear white could cause confusion about the guests intentions and I think that is really the main reason for the rule at this point. Weddings are about the marrying couple (whether people agree with that or not). This is not directed at the Op, just the general discussion. I just don't understand why people get all pissy about not being able to wear white to a wedding. It's not a tragedy. It doesn't relate to me. I was already married 13 years ago. For the past 13 years I have only been the guest at weddings. And it has been easy to just avoid a white dress. I don't put any judgement on anyone about that because that's not my call to make. I'm just there to be a guest at a wedding.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Obviously not everyone would care and obviously not every bride even wears a white dress. And I understand about not wanting to follow rules. But, when it is some other person's wedding, I don't make decisions about breaking a minor rule or deciding how they should or shouldn't feel. I just follow the simple rule of avoiding white because I wouldn't want to risk causing any drama (at an already heightened emotional time for a lot of people, not just the bride, weddings can tend to bring up all kinds of emotions for people for all kinds of reasons). At this point it's such a well known rule that to wear white could cause confusion about the guests intentions and I think that is really the main reason for the rule at this point. Weddings are about the marrying couple (whether people agree with that or not). This is not directed at the Op, just the general discussion. I just don't understand why people get all pissy about not being able to wear white to a wedding. It's not a tragedy. It doesn't relate to me. I was already married 13 years ago. For the past 13 years I have only been the guest at weddings. And it has been easy to just avoid a white dress. I don't put any judgement on anyone about that because that's not my call to make. I'm just there to be a guest at a wedding.

^ A strong vote for this and a lesson in "it's not about you, it is about the bride and her family." If you want to make life easy on the bride, and not have her mother-in-law gossip endlessly about her cousin, or work friend, or college friend, etc. then obey the rules.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    After reading all these 50/50 replies I don't feel so silly debating with myself about the dress so much!

Update for anyone who cares: I don't even have the dress anymore, I returned it (it's super nice but it's really summery and I'm hoping to be a few sizes smaller next summer!) and bought this one on sale instead:

U1dXUrV.jpg?1

And there's no possible way it could offend anyone or break any rules. Case closed! Thanks for playing everyone :drinker:

OP: SERIOUSLY THIS IS MUCH MUCH MUCH PRETTIER than the white dress. The hue of pink would look awesome with your complexion and hair color. Great choice to find another dress and to pick this one. WOW!

This!

This dress is a lot nicer :smile:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

U1dXUrV.jpg?1

This!

This dress is a lot nicer :smile:

Unless the bride is wearing pink.:laugh:
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    Also I'm going stag

What does this mean? :laugh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Also I'm going stag

Single.

I didn't realize this wasnt a common term until I referred to my friends bachelorette as her stagette party (men have a stag party) and people questioned me. Lol.

Also love the dress.
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    Also I'm going stag

Single.

I didn't realize this wasnt a common term until I referred to my friends bachelorette as her stagette party (men have a stag party) and people questioned me. Lol.

Also love the dress.

Ahh :laugh:

<
    British