When You Want to Eat Healthy, Then Don't.

Options
JennFit5K
JennFit5K Posts: 16 Member
I need a new approach to nutrition. I've been ultra lazy and really eating too many calories of garbage. I want to eat healthy, and then I don't. I know I can eat healthy, I'm just doomed with inconsistency. Maybe I can hold my self more accountable for my daily nutrition posting here.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    JennFit5K wrote: »
    I need a new approach to nutrition. I've been ultra lazy and really eating too many calories of garbage. I want to eat healthy, and then I don't. I know I can eat healthy, I'm just doomed with inconsistency. Maybe I can hold my self more accountable for my daily nutrition posting here.

Depends on your idea of healthy. I track nutritional goals rather than calories, and turn it into a challenge game. Can I get 20 grams of fiber today? Can I eat 3 servings of fruit? Can I get in 5 servings of vegetables? I also make simple swaps. Bown rice instead of white, millet instead of rice, chickpea pasta instead of regular.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of healthy? I'd say everyone has a different definition for that, and I'd guess that any nutrition that meets the needs of your body well enough should be fine. You don't need to eat a salad every day if you don't like it. If you like pizza or burger then why not try to make your own and add things you like. I personally like burgers with good-quality beef, avocado, pickles, and a spicy greek yogurt sauce. Fits within my calorie budget, keeps me full and happy.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with @sollyn23l2's suggestion of setting goals and making hitting them a fun (and satisfying) challenge. Since I have a real problem with sometimes eating too many calories from junky, processed foods, I track the calories from them daily (off site in my own spreadsheet). It hasn't kept me 100% away from the unneeded garbage, but it has helped motivate me to eat healthier. Experiment and find what works for you to change your approach to reaching your nutritional goals.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    JennFit5K wrote: »

Yeah, most people do need a new approach to nutrition. The standard American diet was basically the solution to a problem 50 years ago and now were basically the victims of our own success. Ultra processed foods have hijacked our ability to control our eating. Now there's a case to be made that we are overfed and under nourished. If we associate health to food then I don't think many would disagree that reducing the type of food in the standard American diet and replacing them with foods that are whole and actually look like food from nature that this would be considered more healthy or just healthy, period. Good luck going forward. Cheers
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Truth, once you reach your RDA's you DON'T get "extra credit" for eating more of them. If you have calories left to spare, eat what you like.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    What causes you to make less healthy choices? Too busy/lazy to cook? No healthy options in your fridge? (Those are my own excuses!)

Make sure you ALWAYS have a few meal options that are healthy, fast, and appealing to you.
  • JennFit5K
    Options
    I won't weigh myself today, it's not about the scale. I know I'm feeling very bloated today. I did that binge thing just last night. Ate healthy all day, fruit, lots of protein, but then before bed I wound up grazing 2 cheese sticks, a Whips orange yogurt (my one sweet indulgence, the trade off for pints of Haagen daaz), Instead of having a few pretzels (I had some to ration for the week), I finished the whole pint container. Those pretzels were supposed to last me 2-3 days. Oops.

This is when I'm supposed to brew that cup of tea.

I just hope there's someone out there saying "yeah sister, I totally get you" as they're finishing their 5th cheese stick. My yoga instructor did recently admit to sneaking cookies in bed at night so there's that. We're human, we eat, our bellies wiggle. Why am I so uncomfortable with that? Maybe I need to tackle that part first.

My tummy is bloated this morning. Ouch.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Maybe eating prepped meals you can buy may be a better options. Heck you already spend a bunch of money on food and throw it away, so an option like Factor might work. I did it when I was single and worked 12 hours a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about your job, and how much choice you have there. When I started creating the habit of exercising at lunch time, it was difficult because we all took lunch at different times and so people would ask me questions all day long. At first I stayed to answer them. I initially struggled with the discipline to push away from my desk and go exercise. However, once this habit was in place it was better for everyone, because this break allowed me to be more focused and productive for the rest of the work day, and the afternoon munchies and sleepies stopped. I was also more energetic into the evening.

My not taking lunch was entirely self-imposed.

Obviously, if you are an air traffic controller and lives are at stake, there is no choice but to be at your desk and focused at your assigned times. Most of us have more flexibility, however.

When I had jobs with long hours there were tradeoffs. It was fine to take a long lunch, as long as I made up my time. When we worked 12-18 hour days in the military, this was for a limited amount of time, and then we got extra time off. How many days per week do you work those long hours?

Also, the choice is not a consuming, demanding job and no job. :wink:
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are your friend! Seriously. Whether it's a ready-to-eat, store-bought meal stored in your freezer, or you cook a large batch on the weekend and divide it in Tupperware containers for individual servings, you just throw one into the microwave the moment you get in the door and it's ready to eat once you've had time to kick off your shoes. Alternatively, there are dozens of meals you can take under 10 minutes in the morning to prepare in a crock pot (about as long as it takes to brew a pot of coffee), leave it simmering as you go to work, then it's ready to serve when you get home.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oatmeal with blueberries and protein powder. It works better for me because it's ready to eat when I'm hungry, then I assemble the next batch after I eat. The recipe is:
    1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
    1cup almond milk
    1 scoop protein powder
    Generous cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon?)
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1 teaspoon honey
    Stir and let sit overnight. Then stir again. Eat it out of the bowl, rinse, and mix up the next batch.

You might have to adjust the amount of liquid for frozen blueberries, and adjust the honey depending on the sweetness of the protein
    powder.

The other thing you might try is smoothies with frozen fruit. I add fiber powder to my smoothies.

Good luck! Remember baby steps are progress. See if you can skip takeout three times a week, and keep a tally note on the fridge about the money you save. Just an idea!

Annie
  • JennFit5K
    Options
    The honesty is appreciated. It helps me to reflect on solutions when I've seen angles I can't see on my own. It's a great community here. When you're ready you do it right? My period came hard and early which explains the recent bloating and cravings but not the long term. Which would be me just not being ready. Long term health wise, I do need to be more mindful about my nutrition. I've gone years of good eating, but lately I've been lazy and it's catching up to me. I start great in the morning and afternoon, then I tumble downhill in the evenings. The herbal tea trick works and it's a small habit I can start with. I've been striking a much better work life balance that I plan to continue in September so dinners have been getting more homemade and less take out. I've been working on a long term plan for better dinners and much less take out. But now to work on the after dinner boredom binges.
  • Une_Poire
    Une_Poire Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It might be worth buying vegetables already prepped/cut if that makes it easier to use them, rather than buying and eventually tossing because you didn't have time to prep.

Microwave meals? One of those meal services (I've never used them, I don't know how much they ease prep if at all)

Don't buy or bring home bingeable quantities of the things you know you will binge.

Is meditation or some other way to deal with stress available to you? Stress takes such a toll on us, and you sound very stressed! Hope you find what works for you :)
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    @JennFit5K - sometimes it’s helpful to remind yourself why you want to eat healthy and mind your calories.. Longevity? To be in shape? Defy illness? Fit in a slinky dress? Look good,feel good? Whatever the reason.. that has to be more important then undisciplined munching. You are in charge.

Is it possible you are using these excuses and are just being lazy? No judgement.. I gained weight in college working 80 hrs a week and then I would eat a bagel and then some at 2am because it was good cheap and easy.

Ideas- Make 1 pot meals, sandwiches, frozen veg, throw any meat you like in broiler for a few minutes in each side and slap it in a plate. Don’t like dishes.. get some paper plates and call it a day.

If you are eating out of boredom.. are you really that exhausted from working? think about why you are making these choices. Sometimes it’s just easy and comforting to indulge..

Make your health the priority (if that’s your goal) and no excuses why you failed. You are in charge.

Wishing you best of luck!