Previous weight loss/ keto hair loss

Options
Hi there I'm just starting back on my journey. After having a baby 9 months ago. I didn't gain but I'm still the biggest I've ever been.
5 years ago I was keto for about 2 years lost 70lbs. Felt great but covid messed everything up for me.
My question is though I started to experience hair loss. I don't know if it was the keto or calorie restriction I normally ate around 1200 per day but alot of days barely hit 1000 because I wasn't hungry.
Because of this hair loss I'm incredibly nervous about starting a weightloss journey again. I'm not planning on going keto but definitely lower carb probably 75-100 a day.
Looking to prevent this previous issue, and just generally advice on starting this journey again.

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Could your hair loss be a post-pregnancy effect? It’s been awhile, but I seem to remember having silky, thick hair while I was pregnant and then clogging drains with my shedding afterward.
  • Homegrownbodycare
    Homegrownbodycare Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh no the hair loss was from way before I'm just worried it's going to happen again as I start losing and want to prevent that.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1000-1200 calories is really low, and keto might not give you optimal nutrition. If you put in your stats in MFP and aim for 1 pound a week, you should avoid most, if not all unfavorable side effects from a very low calorie diet. Good luck!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's an issue with keto, assuming you eat plenty of veg. That being said, the hair loss could definitely be from too low calories. Try not to go so low cal this time and maybe you'll have fewer issues.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I shed a little more than usual after dropping weight… the last time i lost 10 lb and did it slowly, if happened once i went back to maintenance. talked to my dermatologist and she was not worried. however you are under eating. so i would be concerned. why can you not make yourself eat a little more? add a roll at dinner or a granola bar mid day?
  • pinkie10
    pinkie10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, go see a dermatologist that specializes in hair loss. He/she can tell you what the root cause is and how to address. I did that that and was successful in growing back my hair.
  • rainboots
    rainboots Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have your primary or dermatologist check your thyroid. An off thyroid will cause hair loss and it’s not unusual for the thyroid to get off after pregnancy
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    I agree about the thyroid test being a good idea, and am also concerned that your calorie intake was too low. How fast were you losing weight at that calorie level, on average?

To minimize health (and hair loss) risk, one rule of thumb is to lose no more than 0.5-1% of current weight per week, with a bias toward the lower end of that unless so severely overweight that weight itself is a health threat (in which case it would be best to be under close medical supervision for deficiencies or health compromises).

Beyond the thyroid issue, there are a number of nutritional issues that can increase risk of hair loss. One is protein. On keto, which is IMU usually high fat moderate protein, how much protein (in grams) were you getting daily, on average? When losing weight, I'd suggest a minimum of 0.6-0.8 grams per pound of healthy goal weight, and more isn't a bad idea, within reason.

Fats are also an essential nutrient, but I suspect you were getting enough fat on keto.

The other variables are micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, beneficial phytochemicals). I'm not going to try to give a full detailed run-down on that, but personally find that if I make it a point to get truly large amounts of varied, colorful veggies/fruits, most of the micros (and fiber) fall into place without much supplementation.

(I shoot for 10 80-gram servings of veg/fruit daily and usually get there, 5 servings is my minimum. During loss, I ate around 150g carbs most days - almost entirely from veggies/fruit/dairy. In maintenance, it's 225g+. If low carb helps you manage appetite, that's useful/important, but I'd recommend fitting in all the veggies/fruits you can. Supplementing micros may be necessary, but IMO getting nutrition from food is optimal.)

From reading other posts here, I understand that people eating keto can get veggies if they choose the lower-carb ones, but I personally don't choose keto (or even low carb) because I prefer to get a wider range and bigger volume of veggies/fruits than can fit in typical low carb/keto regimens. (I'm saying I'm weird that way, not that keto/low carb is inherently a bad thing.)

A big deal with ultra-low calories for fast loss is that we simply can't get enough total volume of the optimal nutrition. Even if percentages of (say) protein are right, there can be too low an absolute amount for best results. Low calories limit nutrition. Slower loss gives us more wiggle room to optimize nutrition.

Best wishes!