Exercise calories

Options
Hi everyone. Should I be eating back any of my exercise calories?
I'm currently on 2100 calories limit a day. I burn around 3000 extra calories cycling and walking per day. Currently sticking to my 2100 per day but not sure if this is sensible 🤔 any opinions please?

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    What is your height and weight? Also I don't think youre burning 3,000 cals a day exercising. Eating back exercising calories are ok to do depending on what lifestyle level you put yourself at. Some people figure the exercise calories and some don't and some figure a percentage. It's super easy to overfigure those calories so you have to be careful.

How long have you been at 2,100 and what effect has that amount had on your weight?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,582 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    3000 seems like a lot? Is that double counting the calories in the 2100? As in, that 2100 assumes an average number of calories per hour. Call it X. It'll be nearly 100 per hour in your case. If you walk for an hour and figure that's Y calories burned, the net additional calories you could eat back is Y-X.

Anyway, it depends on your goals. If what you're doing leads to the weight loss rate you want, you're doing it right. Most people tend to assume a conservative estimate for additional calories from exercise, and either eat back none, half, or as much as all of that amount, depending on their diet that day and their goals.
  • janet2030
    janet2030 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How are you counting 3000 a day in excersise? What type of device.
    Are you counting your BMR in those numbers?

If u eat into any burnt cals will depend on your goals. Too loose, gain or maintain
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're burning 3000 calories with just exercise. if you were and only eating 2100, that would be bad. When I was into endurance cycling and riding about 100 miles or more per week and with my other daily stuff, my TDEE was a bit over 3K calories per day...but that includes the calories I burn merely existing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If you added an extra 0 by mistake and meant to ask about 300 exercise calories, yes, eat them back.

3,000 sounds like a number that was created by adding your Basal Energy Expenditure (BEE) plus your exercise calories. If you got this from an activity tracker, syncing it to MFP should fix this - in MFP you'll just get the calories you earned from exercise.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/bee#basal-energy-expenditure-definition