Hi I'm Tina

Options
Hi all, new here, need to lose weight for health reasons πŸ™‚ Gonna be a mammoth task and also need to up my exercise.

Replies

• BriansTrident
    BriansTrident Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome, good luck on your weight loss journey. Browsing the forum you will see that 1000’s of members have completed or are currently doing what plan on doing. It’s achievable so never give up
  • guidinghorses9333
    guidinghorses9333 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you πŸ™‚
  • 19Happylife64
    19Happylife64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here for my health also....We got this!!!
  • foliographerdoha
    foliographerdoha Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Better go for low carb or carb cycling, extremely low carb on rest days, eat lot of fibers and fresh veggies. Replace simple carb with complex carbs, eat 1.4 x Body weight in Kg equivalent grams of protein. stay away from alcohol, processed foods, sugar & high sodium food.
    Good luck.
    If you want day by day meals and diet plan please dm.
  • 1mthannigan
    1mthannigan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you do Carb Cycling on My Fitness Pal? I could not find a "Carb Cycling" meal plan.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    How do you do Carb Cycling on My Fitness Pal? I could not find a "Carb Cycling" meal plan.

I don't know that there's a meal plan, but the mechanics to vary goals by day are a premium feature. I just posted in this thread about where to find that feature in premium.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10760291/carb-cycling#latest

ETA: Carb cycling is fine, and useful for some things. It's not universally required in order for weight loss to happen.

FWIW, I didn't do any of the bolded things, at least not strictly, and lost weight fine, as well as staying at a healthy weight for 7+ years since:
    Better go for low carb or carb cycling, extremely low carb on rest days, eat lot of fibers and fresh veggies. Replace simple carb with complex carbs, eat 1.4 x Body weight in Kg equivalent grams of protein. stay away from alcohol, processed foods, sugar & high sodium food.
    Good luck.
    If you want day by day meals and diet plan please dm.

Most of the non-bolded can also vary, I'm just being honest about what worked for me (and what I didn't do). Presumably that list is what worked for the PP.

I did and do eat lots of fiber and veggies, but I did that when I got and stayed obese, too.

Simple carbs are sugars, including those in fruit and dairy. Fruit and dairy are nutrient-dense foods. (Obviously, people who are allergic or sensitive to dairy need to stay away from dairy, and people with diseases like diabetes may need to manage their fruit intake carefully). Complex carbs are grains and starchy veggies, including things like refined flour. Some sources of complex carbs are nutrient-dense, others aren't. It's pretty common to see people say "simple carbs" meaning "refined/processed foods with high carb content", so maybe that's what's meant.

I eat some processed foods, lots of less processed, not much in the way of fast foods . . . but that was also true when I got then stayed obese. I eat some sugar, but not lots: I've always preferred savory foods, and fats are more calorie-dense than carbs anyway. (We need some fat intake nutritionally, though.)

Personally, I want more protein than 1.4 x healthy weight in kg; but 1.4 x a very overweight current weight could be serious overkill and harder to fit into calorie goal. (We don't need bunches of extra protein to maintain our fat mass; it's to maintain lean tissue, primarily.)

I'm not saying no one should do any or all of the things in the post I quoted. If they help you, do them. It's great when people share the varied strategies that helped them succeed, sincerely. But those things are not universally necessary for success . . . for some of us, such as me, not even helpful or desirable. It's pretty individual, IMO.

P.S. Personally, I feel a little cautious when someone wants us to DM for more info. I'm sure this wouldn't be true for PP, but it's a thing one sees from multi-level marketing folks here in the Community. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
  • printdoc2006
    printdoc2006 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Tina.
    First rule of thumb to lose weight is eliminate sugar from your diet.

You'll be surprised how many foods you eat. convert into sugar. I.e. Carbohydrates into sugars. Which spike your insulin and make it make you insulin resistant, making it very difficult to lose weight.

I would research ketovore diet or just start with keto. Also look into intermittent fasting. You may want to start with eating just 2 times a day. And work your way up to just one meal a day. I practice OMAD.

I currently do not eat any sugars at all, In my diet, I am type 2 diabetic my A1C was over 13 today my A1C is 4.8.

I know intermediate fasting sounds difficult. But once you get into the swing of it, it's actually very easy. I don't think our bodies were meant to graze all day.

Best of luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Tina.
    First rule of thumb to lose weight is eliminate sugar from your diet.

You'll be surprised how many foods you eat. convert into sugar. I.e. Carbohydrates into sugars. Which spike your insulin and make it make you insulin resistant, making it very difficult to lose weight.

I would research ketovore diet or just start with keto. Also look into intermittent fasting. You may want to start with eating just 2 times a day. And work your way up to just one meal a day. I practice OMAD.

I currently do not eat any sugars at all, In my diet, I am type 2 diabetic my A1C was over 13 today my A1C is 4.8.

I know intermediate fasting sounds difficult. But once you get into the swing of it, it's actually very easy. I don't think our bodies were meant to graze all day.

Best of luck.

No, that's not the first rule to lose weight . . . at least not for everyone.

I get that you're T2D, so managing your carb and sugar intake is important for you - no argument.

But eliminating sugar from one's diet is not universally required for weight loss. (I lost around a third of my body weight, obese to a healthy weight, without completely eliminating even added sugar, and while eating around 150g carbs on average daily. Now, maintaining a healthy weight for 7+ years since, it's 225 grams plus of carbs daily. All my health markers are great.)

Some people do great with low carb or keto eating, no dispute. More power to them (and you)! But there's no way it's universally necessary for weight loss or health to eliminate carbs (or even actual sugar). That's just not factual.

The OP here gave no indication of being T2D, T1D, or even IR. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. I have no idea. That would matter.

P.S. Reasonable overall nutrition is important. I mention this because sometimes some people take a statement like "not everyone needs to completely eliminate sugar" as meaning "everyone can live healthfully on Cap'n Crunch, donuts and Coke." I'm not remotely suggesting the latter, not even close.

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm the first to say low-carb diets can do wonders for some people; low carb/high fat eating is literally saving my life. For certain conditions or certain types of people, it is great. If you're interested I can recommend some sources.

But considering you haven't mentioned anything about your specific health issues, your lifestyle, your preferences, your doctor recommendations, etc... I mean, low carb may or may not be for you. It's more important you find something that's healthy for you and fits your lifestyle so it's sustainable rather than following any specific plan.

I have a feeling the member telling you to DM is gonna try and sell you something.