Is there a healthy way to have chocolate?

Options

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Dove Promises - my preferred is plain dark chocolate, but I do vary my flavors. I allow one to slowly melt in my mouth. When actively losing I had it with my afternoon coffee. Sometimes I will have one as a bedtime snack.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is better in terms of antioxidants and such, and I find that one square of 70% (or darker) dark chocolate takes care of the craving. Moderation is key. If you deny yourself chocolate long enough, my friend, you may find yourself in the midst of a binge. If having chocolate in the house is too much of a temptation, make an agreement with yourself that you can have it, but you have to go buy it each time. Buy a single serving if that helps. Life is too short not to have chocolate now and then.:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yup! Eat it! Fit it into your day, and if you don't feel like it'll fit--work for it! :-) healthy and guilt free!
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes, the healthy way is to eat a little bit now and then. It's not healthy to eat huge amounts of it every day. It's not healthy to spend your days having serious cravings to the point where you're preoccuppied with it, resisting the urges, feeling "good" because you've resisted, and then eventually giving in, binging, feeling sick and feeling guilty about it, only to vow never to eat it again and repeat the cycle. Chocolate is not evil. Eat the foods you like, in balance and moderation, making sure that you meet your calorie goal and get the nutrients you need.

QFT
    :flowerforyou:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    As I read "somewhere" this weekend....

Chocolate is made from coco, which grows on trees.

Thus having a serving of chocolate counts as a veggie, right?
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Knee jerk response from some one addicted to the stuff... yes many small pieces. More thoughtful response, as part of healthy diet yes, integrate it with your calorie count and realize you will have to pay the piper (movement exercise or reduction) at some point in time. I normally have a small piece or two or three but spreadout over the week and as a reward for good diet behavior in the rest of the time.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have been having serious chocolate cravings this week. Luckily I have stayed strong in resisting the urge to go out and by anything chocolate.

I was wondering if there was any "healthy" way to have a little bit of chocolate now and then?

I have chocolate often enough.

Protip: The higher the cacao percentage, the less sugar in it.

I personally prefer a cacao percentage around 85 to 100%. When you get into these levels, it has to be good chocolate, but man the flavor spectacular is amazing.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i have about 2 squares of dark (85% or higher) every day or thereabouts and this completely satifies my both my sweet tooth (i pair it with fruit, usually) and my craving for chocolate.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Chocolate enema?
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    ONE serving of dark chocolate within your calorie budget. Put it on a plate and serve with a cup of hot tea or coffee and savor each and every bite. I went from two chocolate bars a day and this is how I enjoy it here and there now. I don't crave it everyday anymore.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Moderation. I have chocolate once in a while. I also eat my wife's homemade cake. You have to find a healthy balance.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is actually good for you and has antioxidants in it. I would say that its okay to have chocolate when you feel like it as long as you are not eating a huge amount and going over your calories and nutrition goals. If it fits in to all that, why not have it? Are you really never going to eat chocolate again for the rest of your life?
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving for chocolate, I eat some. I don't even worry about what kind of chocolate it is. I just fit it into my calories.

This. When I started MFP I bought a box of Snickers Ice Cream bars. It was easy to plan for 180 calories of delicious, delicious chocolate, caramel and ice cream at the end of the day and it didn't blow the rest of my eating plan.

Crazy, I know. I had something that I liked and didn't immediately gain 5 lbs or develop the diabetus.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to have chocolate is dark, often and orally.

You're welcome. :smile:

I read this as 'often orally' ... I was a little scared to ask .... LOL
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Open mouth. Insert chocolate.
    This. Daily.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    A good way to stop those cravings is to have a tiny nibble of your favourite choc, then put the rest in the microwave in a non microwavable container for 2 minutes on hi. The smell of your choc and the melted plastic will put u off for the next few months at least :drinker:
    It works, i fluked it, just i used ice magic haha

^That is ABSURD, WASTEFUL, and SOOOOOO mentally unhealthy.

OP,
    try what others have suggest with the hershey kisses, dove promises, or hershey's bliss squares.
    I've found that with those, since they're thicker, I won't eat them as quick, I'll let them melt in my mouth like others have suggested.
    I'm all for the Lindt Dark Choc. with the orange in it (year round chocolate orange instead of christmas only - I <3 those) but since the squares are so thin, I nom through them so fast.

edit: spelling error
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate has numerous health benefits; it is calorie dense, but also chalk full of antioxidants and other nutrients. Eat dark chocolate.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Its because your body crave magnesium...Look for fruits or other food high in magnesium.

Also for future reference for any craving: this is good to remember, because this works across the board for all foods. :]
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I have been having serious chocolate cravings this week. Luckily I have stayed strong in resisting the urge to go out and by anything chocolate.

I was wondering if there was any "healthy" way to have a little bit of chocolate now and then?

I have a little chocolate everyday... I prefer dark chocolate which has got good-for-you anti-oxidants in it.
    The trick is serving size (Dark chocolate tends only to come in large bars.)
    1 Tablespoon of semi-sweet or bitter-sweet chocolate chips is usually pretty easy to fit into the daily calories,
    As is a square or two of the good stuff... (Heck, if I'm only eating a little it might as well be tasty)
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Of course, as long as it fits in your macros.