Need accountability 💃🏻

Greetings! I am over 50, recently diagnosed with high blood pressure, and I need to lose weight. I am trying to start with meal prep and getting 10k steps a day. I figure steady consistent improvement will lead to success. How are you doing? What helps you stay on track?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    Hello, and welcome!

I started losing weight at age 59, with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and joined MFP. Even before losing all the weight, my blood pressure and cholesterol normalized, and they've been there for 7+ years since (and I'm still at a healthy weight, after that initial loss).

For me, the key thing was experimenting to find - then practicing to groove in - sustainable habits. What kept me on track, in part, was thinking in terms of ways to make the process tolerable or even enjoyable.

Restrictive named diets, miserable punitive exercise? No, no, no. Experimenting to find new ways of preparing foods I like, to dial in appropriate calories, satiation, decent overall nutrition, practicality and affordability? Workable, very workable. Trying to find forms of exercise that were ideally fun, but at least tolerable and practical? Doable, definitely. Moving more in daily life? Yeah, I could work on that.

So far, so good. And for me, the quality of life improvement has been very much worth the effort.

I'm hoping you'll find the same thing: I'm cheering for you!
  • LoveFitJoi
    LoveFitJoi Posts: 2 Member
    How are you doing? Have you remained consistent? Walking did wonders for my blood pressure. I walk for at least an hour 5+ days a week.