Is Video Documenting Weight Loss Actually a Motivator?

Options
I have mixed feelings on this... I've followed some people who do this that just stop making progress losing weight and then make videos about food. I've seen some who go all the way.
I'm absolutely not looking to be instafamous (I work a real job and I'm earning my BA). I was just curious what the consensus is on this?

Also add me as friend if you like near the Gulf Coast Area in FL!

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Personally, no, I don't think it's motivating. In my opinion it promotes an unhealthy mentality surrounding body image for both the individual doing it and the people who watch and compare themselves to it... thinking... "but I haven't gotten that far. . It's been a year and I've only lost 20 pounds. I must be doing something wrong"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,655 Member
    Options
    Funny story. So in my gym there are a lot of people who video themselves. Long story short, one of the kids was trying to embarass me in front of his friends by saying that I'm just jealous of people videoing themselves. My response? I told him "You want to know why I don't video? It's because I don't have to prove that I actually work out and look good." His friends starting busting up and saying I burned him. He's like 5'6" and 140lbs whereas I'm 5'7" and 190lbs. Then I flexed and said "video that".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,687 Member
    Options
    Are you asking whether videoing your own progress is a good idea, or asking whether following people who do that is a good idea?

It would never occur to me to video myself and share that. I didn't even want to talk about my weight loss with people around me. I do post on MFP, but that's more of a "common interests" kind of thing, getting/giving ideas to try.

Other than a little bit here, I don't usually talk about my workouts with anyone other than folks I do them with, either. I don't particularly want to encourage comments from the peanut gallery, and unless people are on a somewhat similar track, that's IME what happens. Making videos would take a lot of time when I could be doing something way more interesting, besides.

I guess I could get ideas to try from other people's videos, but man, that's a lot of watching to get pretty small little nibbles of ideas.

I've occasionally watched really short before and after videos, but that's about it. Usually I've been sorry I invested even that much time. Don't get me wrong, it's great when people succeed in their goals . . . but I guess I don't think of it as a spectator sport?

Maybe I'm just weird, though. Often am.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,655 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Are you asking whether videoing your own progress is a good idea, or asking whether following people who do that is a good idea?

It would never occur to me to video myself and share that. I didn't even want to talk about my weight loss with people around me. I do post on MFP, but that's more of a "common interests" kind of thing, getting/giving ideas to try.

Other than a little bit here, I don't usually talk about my workouts with anyone other than folks I do them with, either. I don't particularly want to encourage comments from the peanut gallery, and unless people are on a somewhat similar track, that's IME what happens. Making videos would take a lot of time when I could be doing something way more interesting, besides.

I guess I could get ideas to try from other people's videos, but man, that's a lot of watching to get pretty small little nibbles of ideas.

I've occasionally watched really short before and after videos, but that's about it. Usually I've been sorry I invested even that much time. Don't get me wrong, it's great when people succeed in their goals . . . but I guess I don't think of it as a spectator sport?

Maybe I'm just weird, though. Often am.
    Yep. I have Instagram, Twitter, FB, and Tik Tok all on my phone, but I don't post myself working out, posing, or selfies hardly at all (maybe once every 8 months). When I do, I get great compliments, but that's NOT the thing that drives me. My drive is intrinsic and I don't need external help to guide me to what I want in my physique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,095 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on this... I've followed some people who do this that just stop making progress losing weight and then make videos about food. I've seen some who go all the way.
    I'm absolutely not looking to be instafamous (I work a real job and I'm earning my BA). I was just curious what the consensus is on this?

Also add me as friend if you like near the Gulf Coast Area in FL!

Are you asking if it would be a motivator for you to document your progress or for someone else to watch your progress?

You will have to answer the first question yourself.

As for watching someone's weight loss video .... I have never done that and have no desire to. The idea of watching the process someone else goes through to lose weight is not at all motivating for me.

When I want to lose weight, I just do ... without saying anything to most people. Except I might mention milestones now and then to a few ... like right now I am down 5 kg from my starting point. And I might mention some "what works for me" tips if someone asks.