WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Been keeping up with reading. Made it through the toughest part of the week. Two in person meetings then I'll take a couple hours of vacation and get walk in before my 3 pm zoom-which shouldn't last overly long-then back off clock. Good way to start weekend. Need to take some vacation time or lose it. Will have to take a couple of hours next week too. I get over 7 hour per pay.

Rita-I have given up trying to figure out families.

Lisa-glad DD and SIL have some monies back before the shutdown this weekend (I believe it will happen). Am drafting a memo to go out to staff tomorrow. Don't know how much funding will be impacted but this one has the potential to be ugly. I really hope it doesn't impact services to vulnerable populations.

Taking it easy tonight. Walked 1.7 miles so that was nice. Right now some much needed rain is coming down.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    So I got miso with dakon, and also got Natto. Has any of you tried fermented soy beans? I did what it said, mixed in the two packets but still it had no real flavor. Added a splash of soy sauce and squirt of honey, still nothing. I am having rice tonight with egg and spinach, some pickled asparagus, beets and cucumber. Tomorrow trying my ramen bits. Dehydrated shrimp, crab, fish cakes with some of my miso broth and spinach.

dt2lezcqfp9g.jpeg
    vst9yr754sei.jpeg
    c0iqmi8a63kv.jpeg
    unptf85uj3bu.jpeg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Need to purchase a matcha whisk. Matcha is very good, and healthy they say.
    648ed7tafejb.jpeg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Our bed! Its puffing up right now!
    4dvhnh2aaa0g.jpeg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    Dinner was chicken thighs with a light flour coating mixed with Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning, finished in the oven. Then he made mashed potatoes, which he made with two regular potatoes and one sweet potato. Turns them light pink, and the flavor is awesome. He made green peas with cheese, which I tried, but it tasted an awful lot like peas, so I said no, but thank you. He's a good cook, that boy.

Pottery was sooooo much better this time. The instructor was much less chaotic and disorganized than she was last time... We did large slab platters with patterns pressed in, and lots of cookies, which are just small throwaway pieces pressed out of scrap clay to put under the created pieces when they're in the kiln. Next week, supposedly, we'll be working with the extruder to make flat pieces to make a ceramic basket, and then coiled pots.

Headed for the tire place in the morning. Will take a book.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,688 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,882 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Here is the monthly list I use for you to copy if you’d like. Thank you Machka for posting the calendar. I always forget to post it in a format that works on here.

2023 Self-Care September 2023

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential.
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small.
    I'm spending quite a bit of time relaxing this weekend. Self-care.
    And what do I do well? I don't know ... the usual household things like the laundry I've done this weekend, working on my drystream, cycling, colouring.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly.
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it.
    I'm not usually overly critical of myself but I will question myself, like "What are you doing?"
    And today, I went for a long-ish walk at lunch then did some colouring at home after work.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes.
    And most of the time, mistakes can be fixed. :)
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time.
    All good except for the "go to bed on time" thing.
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’..
    Getting better at that. I'm working my way through emails and unsubscribing!
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed.
    I ask ... but from my experience help is a rare occurrence. Occasionally, however, I'm pleasantly surprised.
    One thing I've discovered is that it helps if I am very specific about the help I need.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect.
    It's all about priorities.

A little story: When I have been in university and other programs getting degrees, diplomas and certifications, I discovered something. It was OK not to do all the assignments. I would look over the assignment collection for the course, and focus my attention on the one(s) worth the most marks. If the one worth 5% didn't get done, oh well.
    One teacher was horrified with that approach.
    I had been really sick for about three or four weeks and was getting done what I could. I handed in an assignment worth 20% and got a decent mark on it like 80% or something. Then along came a quiz worth 10% and I had not studied at all for it ... too much to do on the big assignment and just too sick. I got 40% and when he went through it with me (not pleased that I had failed), I told him it was OK. I got 40%. I was happy with that. Actually I was thrilled I got that high, given the complete lack of studying!
    He couldn't understand it.
    I explained that for 30% of the total mark, I was sitting at 20/30 with the assignment and quiz. I was still comfortably passing and had more of the class to go where I could potentially get better marks. I had sacrificed the quiz in order to do well on the assignment.
    He didn't like that approach one bit as he imagined his students would pour every effort into every assignment.
    But I didn't need to be perfect.

10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok.
    I usually take it out on the stairs. Something difficult at work ... and I'm out the door climbing stairs.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy.
    Almost every day. :) Usually colouring. :)
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost.
    Almost every day. :)
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    I am.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    Up and down those stairs!!
    Walking at lunch
    Walking with Rhody
    Gardening
    Reading
    Colouring
    Listening to music
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    Soft kitty
    Warm kitty
    Little ball of fur
    Happy kitty
    Sleepy kitty
    Purr purr purr.
    I sing that to Rhody and he seems to really like it - stretches, curls up, closes his eyes, purrs.
    But one day, I caught myself singing it out loud to myself at work while I was working on some difficult code!! And someone heard me!!
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    My memories in Facebook
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    That would be nice, but ...
    This might happen in October.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    Someone today told me I was very good at organising myself and did a great job of presenting a project plan. :)
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    Happily, I don't feel much.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    A few happy memories this year. :)
    sipco2dqdncq.png
    73l6ku4u7ty2.png
    i8n3xqzs5jid.png
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    I don't feel much. It's good.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    Tonight. When I close my eyes and fall asleep.

23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    Well ... at work people do expect me to do certain things, so I can't really let go of those expectations.

24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    Absolutely!!

25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.

What is "nothing"?

What would doing nothing look like?

The closest I think I come to doing nothing is when I'm falling asleep at night, and when I slowly wake up on weekends.

What about you? What does "doing nothing" look like for you?

26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    One of my strengths is organisation, and yes, I've been using that strength in many ways.

27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    When faced with a week full of meetings, I'm always happy when people start cancelling them. :)

kja92p61dtur.png

28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    Mistakes, unsuccessful attempts, and all that sort of thing are learning experiences. We can't always get it right on the first try.

29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    Organisation
    Tenacity
    My love of learning

30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.
    But I always like learning more. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    sspell1958 wrote: »
    Lisa,

Pottery is my favorite class here at the crone hotel. Experimenting with different glazes is fun, and I have discovered that I like playing with mud.

I hope you enjoy it!

Karen in Virginia

Sorry I’ve been absent a few says, been hectic with errands, granddaughter and crafts. I hope everyone is doing well. A lot of posts, so I missed a lot!

Well slept horrible last night. Hopefully the coffee will kick in.

Sandy in TN

Did the coffee kick in? :)

• Machka9
    Options
    cyntdooley wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I was scheduled for a mamio aka mammogram screening. I was feeling around and found a pea size lump rt outer quadrant breast. I have knotty breast. This is different. The radiologist tech felt the knot too. I have lost 35lb. I'm hoping that the lump is just related to the same thing. They have to get an order to do the right type of test. Today is Friday so now I have to Monday. So I will stay positive. I have had another biopsy on my left breast negative. Thanks for listening.

I've been thinking about you. How are you?

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Afterwards, went to Hamricks to get Lynette some pants and a top and a jacket/sweater for her Christmas/birthday presents. Will probably also get her a gift card. Just not sure where to yet. I tell ya, it’s hard to find 3X clothing. I’m not sure the pants will fit her.

Michele NC

That's brave!

I don't like attempting to buy pants for myself and I have a reasonable idea of what sizes might fit me. I'd never try to buy them for someone else.

Pants are awful ... about 90% of them don't fit me for one reason or another. Too short. Too tight around the hips. Too tight around the waist and enormous around the hips. Too wide in the legs. Not stretchy enough. Pleats or pockets that gape. OK when I stand but really uncomfortable when I sit. Ride up into areas they don't belong.

I much prefer skirts and leggings.

Although I have built up a small collection of stretchy capris ... at least they're meant to be short.

Machka in Oz