WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    The Roaring 40s come through here during the spring and autumn. By 2 am, it's supposed to be roaring and it has already started with a few good gusts ... one at 85 km/h (53 mph) a moment ago.

obwgd2dazl3r.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Forties
    The Roaring Forties are strong westerly winds that occur in the Southern Hemisphere, generally between the latitudes of 40° and 50° south.[2] The strong eastward air currents are caused by the combination of air being displaced from the Equator towards the South Pole, Earth's rotation, and the scarcity of landmasses to serve as windbreaks at those latitudes.

The Roaring Forties were a major aid to ships sailing the Brouwer Route from Europe to the East Indies or Australasia during the Age of Sail, and in modern times are favoured by yachtsmen on round-the-world voyages and competitions. The boundaries of the Roaring Forties are not consistent: The wind-stream shifts north or south depending on the season. The strong and continuous winds in the Roaring Forties make this zone highly prospective for wind power such as in New Zealand and Tasmania.[3]

Similar but even stronger conditions that occur at more southerly latitudes are called the Furious Fifties and the Shrieking or Screaming Sixties.

Machka in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Woke up this morning, turned on the computer and have 53 emails in my social account. Yesterday I had 45. Yesterday were all garbage about debt consolidation, deals on credit cards and specials on new cars. I haven't opened todays mail yet but just deleted all of yesterday emails. I wonder why suddenly I'm getting so many.

Kylia, maybe it's fall and we are eating to prepare for winter coming. I seem to want to eat everything in sight. I feel hungry and am eating double what I usually eat this whole week.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Woke up this morning, turned on the computer and have 53 emails in my social account. Yesterday I had 45. Yesterday were all garbage about debt consolidation, deals on credit cards and specials on new cars. I haven't opened todays mail yet but just deleted all of yesterday emails. I wonder why suddenly I'm getting so many.

Betsy in NW WA

If you're not using Gmail or Hotmail (and don't tell me what you are using), you might have to check your spam filters.

If you are using Gmail, you can go into your account and check through your settings to see what info you are handing out to the world about yourself.

wdmcoo7by1um.png

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Kylia and Betsy - I have "abandoned" 2 email accounts in the past couple years because they got so filled with junk mail. Yahoo and Centurylink, who is a provider in WA State and has my high speed internet and landline service. It took a while but I eventually got everyone switched over to Gmail that mattered.

So far, it has stayed been pretty clean.

Allie - cute, cute photo of Miles to wake up to this morning. Thank you :)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where rain is tapering off today. Measured 2" in the past couple days.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    I did two lightening quick paintings this afternoon. The yellow in the second one is gold, but it doesn't show up in the photo.
    941wmqvrbmbj.jpg
    q7kgrgpabic9.jpg
    I had fun!
    Now to get on with the peas.

Heather UK xxxxxx

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I was like you with the air fryer, but I love it. DH even uses it to make his own meals. I use it a lot since it’s just the two of us so it seems a waste to turn the oven on.
    Mine bakes, dehydrates, has a rotisserie, we have a set that you can do kabobs with it. Mostly we do chicken wings for hubby in it.
    I like shake n bake pork chops and chicken in it and we did steak in it one night and liked it better than the BBQ.
    It’s crazy how much I fought getting one.

Vicki - I hope they figure out what is going on with your feet. Mine has been hurting for a few days and I’m miserable, you’ve been dealing with this for a long time.
    Maybe you are just thinking of the effect of the death on your son, not really the person.

Heather - my cousins husband found his biological father through a DNA site. He found out he has a sister and she wouldn’t acknowledge it. Her son told him that the father had numerous affairs and he is not the first child to come forward. She is too angry to find this out about a Dad she loved.

I think your French circle sounds like fun.

I had a long day on the phone on hold. I contacted EI because I saw that I was supposed to complete reports but hadn’t been approved to receive EI. Turns out she was able to help me and finished my claim. I have been approved, but won’t receive a first payment until around the 20th.

Then I called the bank because my money hadn’t shown up. Turns out the person on Sunday that told me two business days was incorrect. They were very good though and put it in my account tonight with the understanding that when the fraud department releases the funds they can take it back.
    They are going to coach the guy on Sunday. Funny thing is I actually even questioned the 2 days and he was snippy and told me I wasn’t listening to him. I told the supervisor that today.

Those two calls took almost 2 hours!

I got my car back today and it’s still not starting properly. I don’t know what to do, the mechanic kept it for 3 days and of course it didn’t hesitate for him.

It’s been a long day. I’m heading to bed. I have a presentation tomorrow.

Tracey in Edmonton

I personally think our cars get "mechanic coat" just like we get "white coat" issues when we're at the doctors office getting our blood pressure taken. They never do the thing that's been happening up until we pull in. Squeaky noise? Nope, don't hear it. Frustrating! I hope your car issues get resolved.🙏🙄
    I hate my oven, it's dirty but I think the dirt is the only thing keeping it working. The heating elements look shaky to me. I might just ask a cleaning company to come do my oven, which they'll clean and break, and then I will get a new oven!
    Lol my brain and how it works......😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options
    Last night I watched some yummy videos on making Japanese food for breakfast. So now on my shopping list is miso, and mirin. I bought some dried ingredients that you put on ramen, swirly fish cake, etc so I might just use some of those for in my miso soup. Will look for some dried wakame seaweed.👍🏼. Oh today our new mattress comes! Of course last night I slept awful on the old one. Just awake thinking.🙃
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate a good night’s sleep.
    Meditation: daily. 14/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%,

93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 23/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 2/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,6805,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 213/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 23/23 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low. “Breathing in,I am relaxing. Breathing out, I am relaxed.”
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly. Sticky notes, here I come!
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you. Forgot to do this.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement. Doing that this morning.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories. This sounds like fun! I do have my pictures rotating on my TV as a screensaver but need to go through those.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still. AHHH Meditation
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you. This is hard, but I try.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love. I need to tell myself this often.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing. I try.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents. I’ll have to think about this one.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans. Well I only have 1 planned thing, the monthly Friends Group Meeting, so won’t cancel that.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn. I try to do this, but sometimes it is hard to see the mistake I made first.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://caring-mindfulness.thinkific.com/courses/mindfulness

Mindfulness begins with paying attention on purpose.

Serving size Potassium content % of the Daily Value (DV)
    Dried apricots 1/2 cup (190 grams) 1,100 mg 23%
    Cooked lentils 1 cup (198 grams) 731 mg 16%
    Cooked acorn squash 1 cup (205 grams) 644 mg 14%
    Cooked potato 1 medium (167 grams) 610 mg 13%
    Canned kidney beans 1 cup (260 grams) 607 mg 13%
    Orange juice 1 cup (236 mL) 496 mg 11%
    Banana 1 medium (115 grams) 422 mg 9%
    Sirloin beef steak 1 ounce (85 grams) 315 mg 7%
    Milk (1% fat) 1 cup (236 mL) 366 mg 8%
    Natural Greek yogurt 3/4 cup (214 grams) 240 mg 5%
    Tomato 1 medium (123 grams) 292 mg 6%
    Brewed coffee 1 cup (235 mL) 116 mg 2%

Try this today: Aim to have 2–3 potassium-rich foods each day. For example, a banana for breakfast, 1/2 cup (130 grams) of kidney beans at lunch, and white potatoes on your dinner plate.

Personal freedom is mine for the taking. No matter how close the ties of love and concern that bind me to my family and friends, I must always remember that I am an individual, free to be myself, and live my own life in serenity and joy. From ‘One Day At A Time, ALANON.

“When I know I am free within myself, I will be better able to give loving thoughts to others.”
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ It is really nice that Cory calls so often to chat with you! It shows how much he loves and cares for you.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    <3Rita Can't you not listen to all the "stuff " directed at you about your son? How are these negative sentiments getting to you ?
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ You haven't mentioned Carmine lately. Is there any news about her?

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,686 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,686 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Slow walk w/family- 2hrs 25min 15sec, 2.49ap, 143elev, 96ahr, 110mhr, 6.09mi= 616c
    Strava app = 747c

Felt a little crappy but I did it

Broke my 2@ day moving streak, oh well
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,623 Member
    Options
    Mini chicken tikka samosas....thank you trader Joe's and Canada. I think I like them.....DH prepping so this was something I hadn't fixed for me yet that he won't even try. Also finished my baked potato from last night. Will have watermelon and berries in a little while.

The Bronco is back home and all fixed. A day earlier than expected, so happy.

My "job" tonight is to provide "prep" beverages and make sure he is as comfortable as can be expected. I will clean kitchen and do some work stuffs.

TTFN,
    Kylia in Ohio