WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    I had a good afternoon. I pinned some pinky/lilac felt over the back of the letterbox. It won't keep the draft out, but it will help. Then I put draught proof tape on the gap where the light comes in. At the moment the door is more difficult to shut and open, but it will settle. Then I did one of our bedroom windows - I did the other one last year. I also stuck some over the broken, stained glass window , and placed an Egyptian papyrus picture over the mess, but it blocked the hole where the wind whistles in. Then I did the window in the upstairs room, where the gap is huge. We desperately need new windows in the back, but DH won't stump up for it. We waste a huge amount of heat.
    I also filled the hole where the cupboard door hinge fell off in the kitchen. I'm fed up with waiting for DH to come up with a solution, so I will screw it back in tomorrow and hope it lasts a couple of months.
    All just a temporary bodge, but it's better than nothing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Rebecca: My husband didn't like to cook...once in a while in a slow cooker he would do something.
    I had romantic notions of cooking together and cutting veggies together.....never happened!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Just the opposite with us.

My husband cooks ... but once in a while, I'll make something in a slow cooker. While we like lots of veggies, cutting and cooking them together is not a thing with us.

Machka in Oz

My husband has no patience when cooking, or maybe I have no patience watching him cook.🙃😂. Its just when he says he is gonna fry up a steak, its a pat of butter, a squirt of roasted garlic paste (I taught him that), then crank it on high. Then he puts a lid on it, thank goodness. But then he always has to go to the loo, so food is frying with no managers in the kitchen! We have a 1/2 bath right off the kitchen so its not like he is going with book. Drives me batty! I have forbid him to cook bacon. He makes soup the same. In a pot with water on high. Sad thing is he likes his fast fried to heck steak better than the way I cook it. Pick and choose your battles Rebecca....🙃😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,531 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Heather - Not quite sure why your cabinet door is falling off, but here's a possible fix:

If your hinges are coming undone because the holes where the screws go in are too wide or stripped out and just won't hold (whether in the door or in the cabinet itself), there's an easy fix.
    • Put a small amount of white glue or wood glue into the hole that needs fixing.
    • Then take wooden toothpicks and put them one by one in the old screw hole, and cut them to the right length with kitchen shears so they don't come out past the level of the wood around them.
    • Keep adding as many as needed to fill the hole(s). You can even tap the last ones in with a small hammer, the tighter the fit the better.
    • Then squeeze a little more glue into any space left a little more glue, wipe off any excess, and let the glue dry completely.
    • Once it's dry, you can just screw the hinges back in place.
    The new wood and glue will give them purchase so they can stay in. Be sure not to keep turning the screws past the point where they just hold the hinge in--they can pull out the filling with them if you go too far, and you'll have to start over.

This may not be at all what is wrong with your cabinet door... but if it is, hopefully this will help.

Love,
    Lisa
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    pip - you made that families day!!!!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,378 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Ladies-

A while back I found another physical therapist on YouTube who has a lot of videos for seniors - strength building and balance exercises. His name is Ed Deboo and he's actually in Bellingham, WA.

He posted one yesterday about exercises for osteopenia (which I have) and osteoporosis. I have been prone to injuries last few years from over doing it, and I think that's why its been hard for me to get back in the swing for anything more than Tai Chi on a regular basis.

Here's the video:

Note that it appears to be an ad for Wellen, a custom exercise program by physical therapists tailored to women who have the osteo's. I'm doing more research on their website. The program costs $19.00 per month but I get a 25% discount with the code ED25 as explained in Ed's video, so it would be under $15 per month. And there's a "share" feature where another person can access the same program I choose for free.

https://www.getwellen.com/

If I go for it, I'll likely wait until Sept 1st.

Lanette B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lisa. DH says he tried that method and it didn't work, but I don't think he had wood glue. ;):* I will do that if and when the current bodge fails. :D I have to wait until he is out of the house. And buy glue. The cupboard door is very heavy.

Heather, experimenting in UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    👽👾🛸 just waiting for the dryer to finish. Did laundry and bed sheets with one blanket the dogs sleep on and smelled like them. Lol
    I’ve done my meditation, and yoga while waiting so far. Now waiting on last batch to dry.

RvRita
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Felt kind of yucky today ,and actually upchucked a little
    So ive just hung out..
    Tomorrow is feeding Homer running to the bank and then going to get my hair done.
    Glad you enjoyed the picture of Mr Miles..he is a cutie..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    Rita - good news about your B/P. Hope your son is now on the right track and continues improving. Beautiful flowers!! I sometimes get scam emails - I immediately check the email address of who sent it. I kept getting emails from Centurylink with what appeared to be a legitimate address, but what they were asking/telling me to do didn't sound right. Chose to ignore it, lol. Turned out it WAS legit but no harm done. I have a feeling other customers were suspicious as well. I have to remember companies sometimes put 23 year olds in charge of writing the copy for these emails and they don't take into consideration the readership so the message doesn't come across well. :p

Heather - glad the dress fits well. Will we get a photo of you modeling it? :)

Flea - thank you for the info regarding your DH's desire to keep working. All are important reasons to keep searching. Hoping he lands something soon to help ease his worry and depression.

This may sound funny - if I was job hunting again, I'd get some foils to combat my total gray hair and a facial to tighten up the wrinkles a bit. :D And keep smiling. I practice smiling at Walmart and it's amazing how people's worried and stern faces brighten when they smile back. If I would have mentioned this to my husband at any point, he would have thought I was nuts, lol.

Lisa - hope Corey feels better soon! I'm like you, my best nursing skills center around complete avoidance of the patient except for emergency food and water. Beyond that, the trouble starts. I'm grateful my DH didn't have to go that route. :p

I made Facebook work for me once I figured out a way to navigate through the ads and clutter, and now it has become a tool I use every day. It took a while. Some examples of how I use Facebook (this is long and probably boring for most so feel free to skip!):
    *Check Seattle Weather report and announcements/warnings from the County Emergency Management Office and Road Department. Flood warnings posted are specific to roads and mileposts.

*See up to the minute posts from the online local newspapers, which includes the I-5 traffic situation. I appreciate, most of all, the comments from others giving details. It's good to know if traffic is backed up due to an accident or just some trash that flew off someone's truck that will be cleaned up quickly. Also, winter snowstorm school closures. I don't have kids in school, but I get an idea of the road conditions. ;)

*During the summer, the County Road Department posts where it is performing paving, chip sealing and road repair - where and when the section of road will be closed. This info has saved me time and gas numerous times.

*I get announcements about what my corner produce guy is bringing each week from Eastern Washington, and similar updates and photos about the weekly community farmer's market's fare.

*I see news from the local food banks regarding what they are low on so I can check my pantry for extra's.

*And I also see news from some of the local stores where I shop. Closures, sales, hour changes, customer updates. One even posts photos of shoplifters they caught. Is that cool or what? :p

*I follow several local and community groups which are "neighborhood" based. Local news about everything. Good place to see if bears have been seen in my vicinity. Goats either got out or were stolen from a farm half a mile away, be on the lookout. When the neighbor down the road is butchering cows or hogs and has meat for sale. Lost/found dogs and cats close by. Which road is having mail stolen and a description - sometimes include security cam photos of the thief. :D I've noticed if someone posts false information about anything, two or three more folks immediately reply calling this person on it. :p

*It's kind of like a party line, lol, and has a lot of really valuable news. I read about the accident scam which Margaret posted about on one of these sites a week or two ago.

*I follow a county chicken site! Yes, there's one. :D Finding out how folks are dealing with local poultry problems, stuff for sale. Nice exchange of information.

*There are great recipe sites. "12 Tomatoes" and "Incredible Recipes" are favorites.

*I scan Bob and Brad and similar health-related groups.

*I can watch church services online on Facebook.

*It's a good source of inspirational (Rumi) and funny memes, dog and cat videos, etc. I get to pick and choose the positive. There are plenty of angry and negative groups on Facebook that I can simply avoid.

*I follow a few friends and relatives, but have, for the most part, turned off notifications. I like seeing pictures of their pets and kids and vacations, and I can pop onto a relative's or high school friend's page and catch up on the news pretty quickly. These are people I care about and am grateful I can connect with them, however infrequently.
    I really like Facebook Messenger. I don't need to have Facebook open on my tablets and cell phone to use it, and for me, it's better than texting because I can type messages on my laptop using a regular keyboard.

That said, so far, FB's benefits for me outweigh the drawbacks - and yes - there are many things I don't like about it. Since I live in a rural area, I have come to depend on many of these FB groups as others have. It provides news we can all use. What better use of social media than to really help a community stay informed, safe and secure?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Exactly ... Facebook is a useful tool for me too for reasons similar to yours.

When planning cycling routes for example, I know which council are doing roadworks. I also know when the railway is closing a road to replace a level crossing.

I also subscribe to (follow) an Australian cyber security site that posts about the new scams.

It's a one stop shop for me.

And there are tricks to it to get the info I want and not much else. But once you figure them out, it's not much different from reading a newspaper. Only with the news I want.

M in Oz

• Whidislander
    Options
    Rebecca - NB is New Brunswick.
    kihzdr9dsmfv.jpeg
    It’s a little more than. 3000 kms from here. They are going to fly into Halifax and drive to NB.

Heather - sorry that was confusing. They are going to surprise everyone there and not tell them they are coming.
    Her plan right now is to call her Grandmother and while they are on the phone she will walk in her door.
    I don’t know the plan for anyone else.
    I agree, I find the meet ups exhausting sometimes too. I think they’ll take time for themselves as well. I’m sure they’ll do some of the touristy stuff.

Machka - I agree about the quizzes. I don’t do any of them and when a new one pops up I block it immediately.
    That train trip sounds wonderful. I have wanted to do the Rocky Mountain one here.

Lisa - I hope Corey feels better soon. I’m not the nurse type either. Thankfully Rodger is a “leave me alone and let me die” type when he’s not feeling well.

Flea - I hope your DH finds something soon. The added financial stress is not healthy.

Rita - we get a scam here that says we have a parcel being held as Duties for the import from the States are due. I don’t believe anything that comes in. It’s good you are teaching these precautions.

I hope your son continues to improve and stay on the right track.

Lanette - I like FB for a lot of the same reasons you do, except the news. One thing I’m really liking right now is that we do not get any news here in Canada on FB. Our government is at odds with Meta as they created a new Bill that states our newspapers and news media must be paid. Meta refused to pay so cut off all news feeds. They have too much power in my mind, but I’m enjoying not seeing the news.
    I use FB to stay in contact with several friends and family members and I follow numerous crafting sites.
    I do post fairly regularly if I’m doing something exciting.

Tracey in Edmonton

Ah, gotcha! Did you ever watch that travel show that a comedian did? He is on Murdock Mysteries. Ah it was great. The whole towns would greet him, you get to know the history, and then he did a comedy show at the end kind of roasting the people he interviewed, but the whole town was there so proud. It was awesome. Such beautiful places!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Heather ~ You have been really busy decluttering and taking care of the little task that need to be done. I loved the photo you showed of the green velvet dress. It is beautiful.

Allie and Rebecca ~ Miles and Athena just get cuter and cuter! Love Athena's Fall look.

Lisa ~ Sorry to hear Corey isn't feeling well. I have been sick off and on for the last week. May have been the virus or just really bad allergies.

Have skimmed over so many pages and can't remember all but wishing everyone the best!

Carol in GA

She keeps headbands on now, she looks so grown up! Nice to not see her hair in her face.🙃💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    [b

I made Facebook work for me once I figured out a way to navigate through the ads and clutter, and now it has become a tool I use every day. It took a while. Some examples of how I use Facebook (this is long and probably boring for most so feel free to skip!):
    *Check Seattle Weather report and announcements/warnings from the County Emergency Management Office and Road Department. Flood warnings posted are specific to roads and mileposts.

*I see news from the local food banks regarding what they are low on so I can check my pantry for extra's.

*And I also see news from some of the local stores where I shop. Closures, sales, hour changes, customer updates. One even posts photos of shoplifters they caught. Is that cool or what? :p

*I follow several local and community groups which are "neighborhood" based. Local news about everything. Good place to see if bears have been seen in my vicinity. Goats either got out or were stolen from a farm half a mile away, be on the lookout. When the neighbor down the road is butchering cows or hogs and has meat for sale. Lost/found dogs and cats close by. Which road is having mail stolen and a description - sometimes include security cam photos of the thief. :D I've noticed if someone posts false information about anything, two or three more folks immediately reply calling this person on it. :p

*I follow a county chicken site! Yes, there's one. :D Finding out how folks are dealing with local poultry problems, stuff for sale. Nice exchange of information.

*There are great recipe sites. "12 Tomatoes" and "Incredible Recipes" are favorites.

*I scan Bob and Brad and similar health-related groups.

*I can watch church services online on Facebook.

*It's a good source of inspirational (Rumi) and funny memes, dog and cat videos, etc. I get to pick and choose the positive. There are plenty of angry and negative groups on Facebook that I can simply avoid.

*I follow a few friends and relatives, but have, for the most part, turned off notifications. I like seeing pictures of their pets and kids and vacations, and I can pop onto a relative's or high school friend's page and catch up on the news pretty quickly. These are people I care about and am grateful I can connect with them, however infrequently.
    I really like Facebook Messenger. I don't need to have Facebook open on my tablets and cell phone to use it, and for me, it's better than texting because I can type messages on my laptop using a regular keyboard.

That said, so far, FB's benefits for me outweigh the drawbacks - and yes - there are many things I don't like about it. Since I live in a rural area, I have come to depend on many of these FB groups as others have. It provides news we can all use. What better use of social media than to really help a community stay informed, safe and secure?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I use Facebook a LOT- more than I should but use it to stay connected with friends/family/ hometown news/recipe sites/craft sites/etc.
    I do play Candycrush on FB every day- way too long, I know,
    Chatting with friends on messenger gives me someone to talk to-dh is always either at his mom's, sleeping, at work or in his room. Rarely, unless we are out shopping, are we together.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Ceramics tonight. Going to the dentist tomorrow for check-up. Getting my hair cut Thurs. Since no work tomorrow the plan is to do a spinning workout.

Tracey – I hate that this happened to you. Hope you get your money quickly

Took a walk to the dollar store today (Tues) to get filler paper and then to Food Lion for Asian Pears. I really like them, they are so juicy

M – yes, like that. I have to research it more to be sure the card will fit. Thanks. Vince has recently renewed his interest in trains. When we had the detached garage built, one half is for a vehicle, one half is his music studio and the entire upper floor is dedicated to trains. How great you can leave Australia! Will you be going to see your family?

Lanette – you’ve never seen a 3D printer??? They’re neat.

Lanette just called. She wanted to talk to Vince and myself at the same time(huh?). She started out saying “I have cancer”. Lynette tends to sensationalize. Basically, she has precancerous cells in her uterus. She’s supposed to go to the MD tomorrow and hopes to have an operation to remove them in October. Ken is supposed to go for cataract surgery in October, so depending on the time when she has her operation, his might have to be postponed.

Rebecca – like your new dishes. Your dh eats more vegetables than Vince does. He only has corn (well it could be corn on the cob) and carrots. White potatoes (never sweet) are ok. He eats romaine lettuce, cold tomatoes (unless its on pizza). That’s about IT here….

Rosemarie – be sure to post pictures!

Facebook: Vince wouldn’t have an account at all, I only have one to see pics of the kids. Do mostly “happy anniversary/birthday” stuff only
    https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-BBQ-Grill-Utensil-Holder/dp/B0BBSQMWB7/ref=sr_1_9?crid=T4J9EAYGIS5E&keywords=tool+mat+for+grill&qid=1695759795&sprefix=tool+mat+for+grill,aps,129&sr=8-9&th=1
    Vince got the new cover for the grill. Fits better but he has to return it as when it was sewn together, they missed part of the seam and it’s wide open. This is his new toy. He got these holder mats for the spatula, etc

I’ve never taken one of those quizzes on facebook

Tracey – your daughter and SIL sound incredibly wonderful! So glad they are taking that trip

Lisa – so sorry Corey is sick

Rita – I can’t even being to tell you how many times I’ve gotten that UPS scam. I just delete it. Other things that supposed they couldn’t deliver (that I never ordered) – same thing, I just delete it. Free samples that they need my address to send it to – deleted. That’s great that your bp is down to normal

Allie – feel better fast. Miles (and Athena) are sure cuties

Michele NC