• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,396 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Has your husband asked for feedback after the interviews? I've found that very helpful!

M in Oz

Yes. If he ever hears back from them at all. After spending 6-8 weeks jumping through all kinds of hoops, I have been shocked how many companies just ghost him. No response to emails. No "no thank you." Just silence. Other times, when he has received a "no thank you," and asked for feed back, they don't respond.

They can't legally say, "You're too old." Like Michele said, it's his age. There isn't any other reason. Some companies are interested in him on the phone, and then when they see him in a Teams or Zoom interview, they lose interest. :disappointed:

Advice to those of you still in your 50s with jobs. Don't quit, unless you've got something to go to. Getting hired after 60 is a horrible experience.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

If he's more interested in continuing to do something more than how much money he earns, maybe he could try a "hobby" job.

For example, if I were to go with a "hobby" job or sideline, it might be creating web pages.

Or if I didn't want to work for myself, I might pick up Christmas work in a shopping centre. LOTS of shops are hiring retail staff. It can be fun working up to Christmas. If I needed a quick financial boost, this is what I would do, and I have done it in the past.

My husband used to talk about working in a bicycle shop or plant nursery after retirement.

Tutoring is another option.

I knew someone who had been retired a while who took a part-time job driving and cleaning the cars for Enterprise Car Rentals.

I know someone else who sits as an exam supervisor at least twice a year.

In Australia, there's a big "grey nomad" industry with people working in orchards and packing sheds. My husband and I had thought about doing that at one time.

Older people are often hired as groundskeepers for schools, campgrounds, etc.

Might be a matter of thinking outside the box. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Finances and being frugal:
    On retirement - While full retirement is 67 here, the government deliberately doesn't advertise that you can retire at 63 (if you were born 1960 or later) and draw your social security funds at about 73% of your "full" amount. While it's not ideal, since I left work at 60 during the pandemic and didn't go back to work as I was so ill, then factoring in my life expectancy, it simply made more sense to take "early" retirement. It's possible I'll regret that, in the end, but as Heather says, living for the day is really important, too, and my retirement check made it possible for us to pay off the house this year, so it was well worth it.

On laundry sheets - I'd never even heard of them! Went looking, and while they definitely have the edge in being tidy and slightly more ecologically sound, they are nearly four times the cost per load of the Purex free and clear laundry detergent I use now. Doesn't sound like much when they only cost 24 cents per load, but adds up to $83 a year for the sheets and $31 for the liquid detergent for our usage levels. It's why I don't use the Tide pods - they would be $75 a year for us.

On dishwasher pods - I'm finding that anything that pre-measures the amounts I need to use of pretty much any substance is almost always more than we need, with the exception (so far) of dishwasher detergent. Unlike laundry, in which everything without perfumes and dyes seems to work the same to get clothes clean (my opinion), the cheaper dishwasher pods just don't work, so I do buy the Cascade ones. I hate having to rewash dishes, and it never happens with Cascade. That said, they are almost double the price of the cheapest ones. Sometimes, you choose what works over what's cheap.

Dryer balls - Does anyone use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets? I've been tempted to get some. They're rated to last about a thousand loads (about five years for us!), and the total savings are only about $10 a year. But, they would save an awful lot of waste over the course of that time, including, of course, a thousand dryer sheets that don't go in the trash.

Ah, time to get a Walmart order finished and get moving!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

On retirement, in Australia we have an age pension and our superannuation.
    Employers are required to put a percentage of our salaries into a superannuation fund. When the superannuation idea was decreed (or however it became law in the 1990s), it was 3%, then gradually increased. Recently, the percentage has been 10%, now it's 11%. So if our official salary is $100,000/year, for example, we technically get paid $111,000 but $11,000 goes into our superannuation. The superannuation is invested and ideally, hopefully, makes money, but of course, that doesn't always happen. The idea is that if you work for 40 years, starting with an entry-level salary and building up over the years, you should have somewhere around, let's say, $300,000 in your "super" plus whatever that amount might have received from investments.

Of course in our case, my husband is old enough that part of his working life was pre-superannuation, plus he was self-employed for some of his working life, and I didn't start in the superannuation system until 2010. So we don't have much there.

The age pension was available for my husband when he turned 66.5 and will be available for me when I turn 67. But not before. And before anyone gets all excited ... as long as I am working, my husband gets $0 from the age pension. At whatever point I stop working (after the age of 67), we can both get the aged pension, but it is not much. It's small. Very small. The idea being, of course, that the superannuation plus the age pension will be adequate.

And so ... I keep working.

As for laundry, I use Purity Sensitive Laundry Liquid (about $3/litre) and sometimes Ecostore Laundry Liquid Eucalyptus (more expensive). Probably less expensive than sheets.

And I hang dry everything.

But I might need to change dishwashing cubes.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    High school reunions - mine had a 25th, but I was in Australia then so I didn't go. I have no idea if there has been another one. I don't think so.

High school was OK, and I'm still friends with some of my classmates, but I was only there for 5 years, I think (part of junior high and high school), so I didn't have the long history some did.

Facebook - I use it for cycling information, beekeeping information, brain injury information, news and a little bit of entertainment. And for keeping in touch with some family members and friends, like the high school classmates, I mentioned.

I don't use it for those quizzes and things. (Touch the witch's nose to reveal your halloween nickname ... blech, rubbish)

Messenger - I use it like texting for various people. But ignore attachments, "sensational" news, or the "I've got a picture of you" rubbish.

3D Printing - I've watched scenery for model train landscapes being printed. It is fascinating. :) My husband likes model trains and I like the scenery. We go to the shows whenever they're on in our area. One day we might set something up. He'll do the train part and I'll do the scenery. I might even 3D print it! One day.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Rebecca: My husband didn't like to cook...once in a while in a slow cooker he would do something.
    I had romantic notions of cooking together and cutting veggies together.....never happened!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Just the opposite with us.

My husband cooks ... but once in a while, I'll make something in a slow cooker. While we like lots of veggies, cutting and cooking them together is not a thing with us.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - Do you have some plans for the extra leave?

I have to learn 30 ASL words by Friday for school. The instructor will then randomly give us 25 words from our list to sign in class on camera. I have chosen my words and gone over them twice so far.

Now that we are free to leave Tasmania, and Australia ... and now that I have a whole bunch of leave ... we're definitely thinking up plans. :) Or at least I am. :) We may start travelling again!! My inner nomad is a little bit excited by the possibilities!

Terri - They managed to get a couple hundred dollars. It’s because of the tap on the card they were able to do anything.
    Tracey in Edmonton

Sorry ... to you and also Lisa and Margaret. :(

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Tracey - I don't understand. Why shouldn't they go to NB? Is it because it's meant to be a surprise for the extended family? Holidays and trips were always the highest priority for us when we were young, even if we had no money and were bankrupt the rest of the year. I'm still the same! :p I'm so sorry about the fertility issues though. I can't think of anything more devastating. They deserve a world trip! <3
    I think the UK is very different when it comes to working culture and leisure. I don't even think of holidays as leisure, I think of broadening my horizons, experiencing different cultures, getting out of my comfort zone, thinking like a world citizen. My friends are nearly always off somewhere. Even those with no money!
    I hope they have a wonderful time connecting with family and it all goes well. I do think those kind of family meet-ups are mentally exhausting though, and they need to take time off for themselves.
    DH off to cricket today. Hooray! :p:p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

For me, holidays used to be for cycling long distances, hiking up mountains etc. :)

For the past 5 years, holidays have been mostly for sleeping.

But either way, I do love the Australian culture of holidays. :)

M in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Tracey what a wonderful surprise for everyone that your youngest daughter and husband will be coming for a visit. Sounds like they are great financial planners. Bet this visit will be enjoyed by all.

Betsy in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    My new jade velvet dress arrived and fits perfectly! :D So relieved. It will bling up nicely and is really comfortable for sitting for hours in the car, and wedding breakfast. Which is pizza and salad!!!

G rang this morning and we had a good chat.

Before that I wrote a mini chapter on the quote from We Can Do Hard Things,

'We've stopped taking directions
    To places they've never been.'

I sometimes wonder why it took me so long to learn these things! :p

Going to cook Hairy Bikers tonight. DH should be back earlier than usual, but, if he isn't, it is easy to heat up in the microwave.

Machka- Are you going to visit family in Canada on your travels? How lovely to get such a long leave. In the old days, long serving Australian teachers etc used to get a whole year! I knew a couple when they were over here in the Seventies.

Our pension system doesn't have discrimination if there is a working partner. Each person gets their own regardless. I got mine at 60, but it is older now. We more or less live on our State Pension. It covers our bills and food. Treats and personal expenses come out of teacher's and DH'S private pension and savings, but we can live on the Old Age Pension. No mortgage, no car payments, no cable, no medical bills, no debts, just utilities, council tax, and food.
    I thought I would be rich and famous by the time I was 60, so I only paid a married woman's rate. (It's not available nowdays) Not being either, my State Pension is less than half of DH'S. He paid extra into the system, so his is very good. We hope to get a rise in line with inflation next April, which is very high at the moment. The government is trying it's best to welch on that agreement.

Enjoying my time alone.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I'm not planning to take the leave all at once.

At 10 years (now), I get 3 extra months of long service leave. Then in years 11-19, I get an extra 6 days each year. In year 20, I get 3 extra months of leave, and in 21-29, it's an extra 6 days each year. And so on.

So I can use my 3 months of leave + 4 weeks annual leave (approx. 80 days of leave) at any time for the next 12 months, or let some of it roll over into the next year at which time I'll get another 4 weeks of annual leave + 6 days of long service leave to add to whatever I didn't use this year. I just can't have more than 100 days of leave banked up. Apparently you get a notice that you have to take some leave.

One of the things I have my eye on is this ... but most especially The Ghan and the Indian Pacific. I have no interest in voyages on ocean, but train journeys are another matter all together. And my husband likes trains too.

https://www.journeybeyondrail.com.au/

A JOURNEY BY RAIL IS NO EVERYDAY JOURNEY.
    From the moment you step aboard, the frantic pace of day-to-day life fades away and a new kind of world opens up, one that allows you to escape quickly. And as you gently roll through ancient landscapes, reawakening your senses, you will uncover flavours, colours and details that far exceed your expectations.

For 90 years, guests from around the world have had the privilege of taking their time and embracing the wonders of these incredible rail expeditions. By stepping aboard The Ghan, Indian Pacific or Great Southern you become a part of this truly unique Australian legacy.

Anyway ... we'll see. Lots to think about.

Machka in Oz

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate having a roof over my head.
    Meditation: daily. 14/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%,

93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 213/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 20/23 a z(681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low. “Breathing in,I am relaxing. Breathing out, I am relaxed.”
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly. Sticky notes, here I come!
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you. Forgot to do this.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement. Doing that this morning.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories. This sounds like fun! I do have my pictures rotating on my TV as a screensaver but need to go through those.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still. AHHH Meditation
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you. This is hard, but I try!
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love. I need to tell myself this often.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing. I try.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents. I’ll have to think about this one.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&amp;target=https://caring-mindfulness.thinkific.com/courses/mindfulness

Mindfulness begins with paying attention on purpose.

Serving size Potassium content % of the Daily Value (DV)
    Dried apricots 1/2 cup (190 grams) 1,100 mg 23%
    Cooked lentils 1 cup (198 grams) 731 mg 16%
    Cooked acorn squash 1 cup (205 grams) 644 mg 14%
    Cooked potato 1 medium (167 grams) 610 mg 13%
    Canned kidney beans 1 cup (260 grams) 607 mg 13%
    Orange juice 1 cup (236 mL) 496 mg 11%
    Banana 1 medium (115 grams) 422 mg 9%
    Sirloin beef steak 1 ounce (85 grams) 315 mg 7%
    Milk (1% fat) 1 cup (236 mL) 366 mg 8%
    Natural Greek yogurt 3/4 cup (214 grams) 240 mg 5%
    Tomato 1 medium (123 grams) 292 mg 6%
    Brewed coffee 1 cup (235 mL) 116 mg 2%

Try this today: Aim to have 2–3 potassium-rich foods each day. For example, a banana for breakfast, 1/2 cup (130 grams) of kidney beans at lunch, and white potatoes on your dinner plate.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    Frugality I use tide powder now but was thinking about trying the sheets. I only use Tide because it removes more stains than any other I’ve tried. Same with Dawn for dishes, oily things, and stubborn stains. Shoes I buy shoes that fit my feet and support my arches, usually wide New Balance. Some things are worth the higher prices.

Social Media I have accounts with Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, X(used to be Twitter) but only use Facebook on a regular basis. I have Instagram connected to Facebook so pictures I post on one, goes to the other and vice-versa. The only reason I have so many is because some of my friends and relatives use these. X I don’t use at all, but during CoVid, I used it to keep track of changes in the requirements. I never posted to those. I don’t like and of the others, but keep them just to see what people are up to. Oh, Yeah, and this thread (also Social Media) is the only thread I really use. Not even Facebook, even though I run the FB page for the park, and I had a travel blog (FaceBook, TwoBoundingintheCuckoosnest) when I was traveling but haven’t posted there in forever.

3-D printers I saw one in action at a college when they first came out. I was in charge of the computer club at a college and we did a trip to the local collage to check it out, and the planetarium that they had. The person that was our tour guide, was my neighbor at the time. I was fascinated by the printer and the planetarium even though I got dizzy at the show!

RVRita
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Rita - good news about your B/P. Hope your son is now on the right track and continues improving. Beautiful flowers!! I sometimes get scam emails - I immediately check the email address of who sent it. I kept getting emails from Centurylink with what appeared to be a legitimate address, but what they were asking/telling me to do didn't sound right. Chose to ignore it, lol. Turned out it WAS legit but no harm done. I have a feeling other customers were suspicious as well. I have to remember companies sometimes put 23 year olds in charge of writing the copy for these emails and they don't take into consideration the readership so the message doesn't come across well. :p

Heather - glad the dress fits well. Will we get a photo of you modeling it? :)

Flea - thank you for the info regarding your DH's desire to keep working. All are important reasons to keep searching. Hoping he lands something soon to help ease his worry and depression.

This may sound funny - if I was job hunting again, I'd get some foils to combat my total gray hair and a facial to tighten up the wrinkles a bit. :D And keep smiling. I practice smiling at Walmart and it's amazing how people's worried and stern faces brighten when they smile back. If I would have mentioned this to my husband at any point, he would have thought I was nuts, lol.

Lisa - hope Corey feels better soon! I'm like you, my best nursing skills center around complete avoidance of the patient except for emergency food and water. Beyond that, the trouble starts. I'm grateful my DH didn't have to go that route. :p

I made Facebook work for me once I figured out a way to navigate through the ads and clutter, and now it has become a tool I use every day. It took a while. Some examples of how I use Facebook (this is long and probably boring for most so feel free to skip!):
    *Check Seattle Weather report and announcements/warnings from the County Emergency Management Office and Road Department. Flood warnings posted are specific to roads and mileposts.

*See up to the minute posts from the online local newspapers, which includes the I-5 traffic situation. I appreciate, most of all, the comments from others giving details. It's good to know if traffic is backed up due to an accident or just some trash that flew off someone's truck that will be cleaned up quickly. Also, winter snowstorm school closures. I don't have kids in school, but I get an idea of the road conditions. ;)

*During the summer, the County Road Department posts where it is performing paving, chip sealing and road repair - where and when the section of road will be closed. This info has saved me time and gas numerous times.

*I get announcements about what my corner produce guy is bringing each week from Eastern Washington, and similar updates and photos about the weekly community farmer's market's fare.

*I see news from the local food banks regarding what they are low on so I can check my pantry for extra's.

*And I also see news from some of the local stores where I shop. Closures, sales, hour changes, customer updates. One even posts photos of shoplifters they caught. Is that cool or what? :p

*I follow several local and community groups which are "neighborhood" based. Local news about everything. Good place to see if bears have been seen in my vicinity. Goats either got out or were stolen from a farm half a mile away, be on the lookout. When the neighbor down the road is butchering cows or hogs and has meat for sale. Lost/found dogs and cats close by. Which road is having mail stolen and a description - sometimes include security cam photos of the thief. :D I've noticed if someone posts false information about anything, two or three more folks immediately reply calling this person on it. :p

*It's kind of like a party line, lol, and has a lot of really valuable news. I read about the accident scam which Margaret posted about on one of these sites a week or two ago.

*I follow a county chicken site! Yes, there's one. :D Finding out how folks are dealing with local poultry problems, stuff for sale. Nice exchange of information.

*There are great recipe sites. "12 Tomatoes" and "Incredible Recipes" are favorites.

*I scan Bob and Brad and similar health-related groups.

*I can watch church services online on Facebook.

*It's a good source of inspirational (Rumi) and funny memes, dog and cat videos, etc. I get to pick and choose the positive. There are plenty of angry and negative groups on Facebook that I can simply avoid.

*I follow a few friends and relatives, but have, for the most part, turned off notifications. I like seeing pictures of their pets and kids and vacations, and I can pop onto a relative's or high school friend's page and catch up on the news pretty quickly. These are people I care about and am grateful I can connect with them, however infrequently.
    I really like Facebook Messenger. I don't need to have Facebook open on my tablets and cell phone to use it, and for me, it's better than texting because I can type messages on my laptop using a regular keyboard.

That said, so far, FB's benefits for me outweigh the drawbacks - and yes - there are many things I don't like about it. Since I live in a rural area, I have come to depend on many of these FB groups as others have. It provides news we can all use. What better use of social media than to really help a community stay informed, safe and secure?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,812 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - NB is New Brunswick.
    kihzdr9dsmfv.jpeg
    It’s a little more than. 3000 kms from here. They are going to fly into Halifax and drive to NB.

Heather - sorry that was confusing. They are going to surprise everyone there and not tell them they are coming.
    Her plan right now is to call her Grandmother and while they are on the phone she will walk in her door.
    I don’t know the plan for anyone else.
    I agree, I find the meet ups exhausting sometimes too. I think they’ll take time for themselves as well. I’m sure they’ll do some of the touristy stuff.

Machka - I agree about the quizzes. I don’t do any of them and when a new one pops up I block it immediately.
    That train trip sounds wonderful. I have wanted to do the Rocky Mountain one here.

Lisa - I hope Corey feels better soon. I’m not the nurse type either. Thankfully Rodger is a “leave me alone and let me die” type when he’s not feeling well.

Flea - I hope your DH finds something soon. The added financial stress is not healthy.

Rita - we get a scam here that says we have a parcel being held as Duties for the import from the States are due. I don’t believe anything that comes in. It’s good you are teaching these precautions.

I hope your son continues to improve and stay on the right track.

Lanette - I like FB for a lot of the same reasons you do, except the news. One thing I’m really liking right now is that we do not get any news here in Canada on FB. Our government is at odds with Meta as they created a new Bill that states our newspapers and news media must be paid. Meta refused to pay so cut off all news feeds. They have too much power in my mind, but I’m enjoying not seeing the news.
    I use FB to stay in contact with several friends and family members and I follow numerous crafting sites.
    I do post fairly regularly if I’m doing something exciting.

Tracey in Edmonton