WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Amy Dixon’s Breathless Body DVD then took a walk around the neighborhood, then went to WalMart, then worked moving rocks around the pool and hauling others up to the fence. Afterwards, went in the spa in the house. Haven’t done that in a long time.

Oh, boo hoo….I went to play mahjongg and I must have accidentally thrown out my card. See, I used to always keep my card in this pocket of my tablet. Well, the newspaper now only delivers three days/week, so we needed a bigger tablet to read the paper. However, the cover for the new tablet doesn’t have a pocket where I can keep the card. We finally found a clear envelope with a zipper on top to put it in. So I just ordered the card. The thing I’m most upset about is the envelope. I don’t know where I’m going to find another one like it. It was real nice, had a zipper on top and I could keep my card and a pen in it. Now it’s gone. Oh well…..

M – you’re doing so well on your weight. Congrats on the loss

Barbara – if I get an oil stain on a piece of clothing, I put baby powder on it. The powder soaks up the oil. So far, it’s worked for me every time

Lanette – I’m not looking forward to the time change, either. I hate it

katla – so glad the hummingbird feeder wasn’t broken. Guess the wind just knocked it down

Lisa – I’m so very sorry you were scammed. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Pip – fantastic pictures. Looks like a great time was had by all. You look fantastic. If my high school ever has a reunion, I don’t think I’d go. Those were not the greatest years to me. Now I did go to a reunion of our grade school (1-8) since I really enjoyed those years.

Meals: lately, I’ve wanted less and less meat. I usually give Vince 1-1/2 portions. But the veggies – now THAT’S another story

Rosemarie – sounds like a lovely day at the Gardens

Debbie – lovely sharks. While we don’t own a 3D printer, the library has one that you can use. Vince made the design of this holder for the batteries for the Christmas ornaments and they made it. It comes in quite handy. Keeps the batteries separate so they don’t short each other out.

Flea – a friend of ours was in the same position as your DH. Most companies didn’t want to hire him mainly because (but, of course, they can’t say this) they were afraid that they’d go to the expense of training someone and then they’d retire and the company would have to train someone else. I hope things work out for your dh.

Michele NC

The only reason I went was because I live in the city that it was beheld in. High school and especially he high we’re not great times for me. If I was still living in Washington, I definitely would have not gone
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Quiet Sunday. Catching my breath a bit. Tried to watch church, but the feed died with about 10-15 minutes left to go. It never did come back on. Then made dinner. Rested a bit and watched some art videos on YouTube (Smarthistory -- love them!). Then hubby and I went grocery shopping. He is feeling a little funky because he got his covid booster this morning. He is still looking for a job. It has been incredibly frustrating. Just when we think he's getting close (after 5-6 interviews, teaching and/or coding demonstrations) they go with someone else. I am hoping something breaks for him. Really, it is all the same for me. He will be 65 in February, and I told him that there is nothing wrong with retiring. He's been working basically non-stop since he was about 18. So I think he is entitled. He's just not ready yet. And I get that. None of us want to stop because of choices outside our control. So I'll keep encouraging him in his search. But it really is more than full-time job, this searching, interviewing, prepping, presenting, etc. It is crazy.

Middle son is fighting the Anvil fire outside of Port Orford, since Tuesday. It got really crazy yesterday. They saw quite a few fire whirls and dust devils. He said the fire is like it is a live. He can feel it suck air into it and spew air back out, like it's breathing. I'll post one of the pictures he sent me a couple days ago. So proud of him. He is really struggling with his mental health, so I think this has been a good experience for him. Get himself outside of himself, doing something. He said he's feeling much better.

We have our first "college" visit for youngest son tomorrow night. They are coming to our town, so we just have to go to a local hotel to visit with them. He was really hot about this place (OIT) when we scheduled it, but lately he's been leaning toward Portland State, so we will see. It's just hard to believe we are really doing this. We also have a German exchange student coming in about three weeks to live with us for about 20 days. I cannot tell you how nervous I am about this, but I think it will be good for all of us. My son wants to go to Germany this summer, and in order to go on an exchange, you need to host, so we are doing it. When he goes, he'll be gone for about a month.

Oldest has settled into his paramedic job.

Oncology check up tomorrow morning. My last labs were good, so I am thinking this will be quick. I need to remember to ask her if I can get the covid booster. A few months ago, they told me to wait because of how many I've had. This one is supposed to be different, so I think I will be okay to do it. I've been masking in public again. Which I hate. But I work inside the prison on Tuesdays, and one of my students said that it was beginning to go through his housing unit. I've also had students on my main campus come down ill with fevers, so I felt like I had to do it.

So much I'd like to comment on, but my brain is complete mush on the weekends. So much is taxing me at work right now. It's very stressful, and not a lot of fun. I am hoping things settle down a bit, maybe in November. Certainly in December, after finals are over, I should be able to catch my breath better.

Take care all. Much love and many best wishes.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Has your husband asked for feedback after the interviews? I've found that very helpful!

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Flea - My husband retired at 59 and I retired (from part time work) at 55, when we got married. These have been by far the best years of our lives. If you can possibly afford it, do it. I have no income, but I did have some savings, which are rapidly getting spent on cruises. Life goes by in a flash, the older you get. The song I want played at my funeral is, 'Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!' My ex husband retired at 60.
    It sounds like your sons are finding their feet. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Pip - I always feel like a stranger wherever I go. That is because I am strange. :p I love being strange. You are a wonderful, unique, individual. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,894 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,420 Member
    Options
    Good morning dear friends. I had a relaxing weekend, and am ready for another week. Can’t believe how quickly September has flown by. Skyped with family yesterday afternoon. I love that we can all chat together even though we aren’t able to meet in person.

I have my Monday Painters after lunch. I will be workshopping with my beginners again. I do love seeing them progress.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to Craft group. I have finished the squares for my gilet and am starting to piece them together.

Wednesday, we have appointments for our boosters late morning, after our weekly shopping trip.

Monthly Meeting is on Thursday afternoon, and Latin Study is on Friday morning.

Flea: DH was in the same boat when he was made redundant in his late 40s. His self esteem suffered, with all the knock backs he received. Meanwhile, he had started volunteering to work with learning disabled adults, which he enjoyed greatly, and that lead to him working part-time in that field. Not as well paid as his previous career, but much more satisfying for him.

Tracey: I hope they didn’t get too much money. It’s good that you are getting it refunded.

Debbie: The sharks are so cool. ElderGS has a 3D printer and it’s fascinating to watch.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Flea - My husband retired at 59 and I retired (from part time work) at 55, when we got married. These have been by far the best years of our lives. If you can possibly afford it, do it. I have no income, but I did have some savings, which are rapidly getting spent on cruises. Life goes by in a flash, the older you get. The song I want played at my funeral is, 'Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!' My ex husband retired at 60.
    It sounds like your sons are finding their feet. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I'm 56 and still attempting to work my way up the ladder.

My official retirement age is 67 here in Australia and I don't imagine I will retire before then.

But fortunately I "retired" twice already. 😀

Twice I have quit my job, packed everything into storage or gave it away, and hit the road with my bicycle.

Once was for 3 months in 2004, and once was for 8 months in 2012.

Meanwhile now ...

In 15 days I will reach 10 years of employment with the State Service, and will be able to access 3 months of long service leave in addition to my annual leave, purchased leave and stat leave. 😀

That's almost like a mini retirement!

As I've been saying, I've been thinking about new beginnings lately.

M in Oz

Given the ages my grandparents and great grandparents lived, I could keep going for another 40 years.

If I were to retire now, I would be hunting for a nice cardboard box in which to live in 20 years' time! :lol:

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka “thinking about shoes” helps you to sleep? Con VERY grats on the 15lbs and smaller size!

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

I like shoes. I like boots better than shoes, but I like shoes. :) And I've got a lot of boots and shoes!

Usually I'm thinking about what I'm going to wear the next day. I set out some of it the night before but thinking about what shoes (or boots) I'm going to wear and my accessories can put me to sleep. I don't know if that's because what I wear is boring ... or that shoes and accessories make me happy and relaxed. :smiley:

M in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Someone tagged my sister-in-law as being in an accident in Facebook I clicked on it not knowing it was malware. Sad that someone would do something so cruel! Immediately cleared the browser and changed the password. I messaged my sister-in-law. Reminder to be careful what you click on in Facebook if you participate.
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Amy Dixon’s Breathless Body DVD then took a walk around the neighborhood, then went to WalMart, then worked moving rocks around the pool and hauling others up to the fence. Afterwards, went in the spa in the house. Haven’t done that in a long time.

Oh, boo hoo….I went to play mahjongg and I must have accidentally thrown out my card. See, I used to always keep my card in this pocket of my tablet. Well, the newspaper now only delivers three days/week, so we needed a bigger tablet to read the paper. However, the cover for the new tablet doesn’t have a pocket where I can keep the card. We finally found a clear envelope with a zipper on top to put it in. So I just ordered the card. The thing I’m most upset about is the envelope. I don’t know where I’m going to find another one like it. It was real nice, had a zipper on top and I could keep my card and a pen in it. Now it’s gone. Oh well…..

Michele NC

Like this?
    https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/studymate-a4-mesh-pencil-case-clear-smmeshpca4

pjli1df920j4.png

Machka in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Ginny my dad already has hearing aids. But he still doesn't hear unless both of them are in, and he is right in front of you, looking at you. And the rest of the room is silent. He can't hear me when I'm driving because I don't face him. He reads lips somewhat. It's very isolating and very sad.

I have to help with his computer today. He has trouble with his passwords and getting passcodes.

That and visit Mom and make spaghetti for one, and do my bike and yoga. Hope to get back on track with my exercise this week.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - can I please eat potato chips and call it a meal? I didn’t know they had any good qualities.
    Congratulations on the loss. Your yard looks so relaxing.

Tracey in Edmonton

I think there has been a time or two, prior to 2015, that I've called a bag of potato chips a meal! :lol:

One day we'll have to sit down and relax in our yard! I love it out there, but we're usually quite busy out there.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-67 is now the official retirement age in the US-there is talk that it will expand to 70. That's why I don't feel so bad working as long as I have-I'm being a trend setter! But I am lining everything up. I will be fortunate in my retirement in that my income from the state system will be comfortable.

Take care all,
    Ginny in Ohio

Yeah, they're talking about upping it to 70 here too.

I would happily retire right now if I could, but reality is that it makes no sense at all to retire now when I'm still building my career and when I'm pretty sure we'll need income for 30 or 40 years.

By the time I do retire, my income from the state system might be all right too. :) We'll see.

M in Oz