WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ Wow! What y'all did in the room made am amazing difference! It looks 100% better.

Heather ~ The birthday cake your son made looks yummy!

I have been eating way too many carbs this week. So need to get back to "mindful eating".

Carol in GA

• myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    :)

Katla in Illinois
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Heather- she looks very posh..I would be so excited and she will remember it forever..
    What i did when I was awake was do online grocery shopping,I did 2 extremes lol
    Whole paycheck and Aldi
    I did stop at Adams and got Fresca and at WF i bought the same ACV that Rebecca has..
    I am trying to be more aware of what im eating and i didn't eat anything until 12:30 pm this afternoon
    Bought organic fruits which I will enjoy
    9ipamwxif1qx.jpg
    ewms7vblkp7h.jpg
    0kmz9walqvbn.jpg
    And grandma found a pop up rocket for Miles.. can ya tell he likes it?

Nice! I don't know if its a mental thing, but my gut does feel better. Maybe that's the warmness I feel from the cayenne pepper in the ACV, but it does make my stomach feel better. The Fresca makes it bubbly, and the sweet, sour and tart play well together. Miles photos are just precious!🤗💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,442 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    ☘️ at pg 52
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,816 Member
    Options
    Tracey - I can't help myself now. Another one for your t-shirts...
    6pofgxzjiq7c.png

My DH is enjoying your sense of humour too. 😂

Tracey
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,557 Member
    Options
    Tracey - I can't help myself now. Another one for your t-shirts...
    6pofgxzjiq7c.png

My DH is enjoying your sense of humour too. 😂

Tracey

Oh, thank goodness! A lot of people really don't get my humor... :smiley: I'll be just falling down laughing, with other people giving me the stink-eye. 👀🙃 Tell Rodger I'm pleased that he gets me.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,557 Member
    Options
    Carol - Thank you, dear heart - it really made both of us happy, especially not having to buy, saw, hammer or nail anything! :blush: Moved a lot of things out of the kitchen area.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Worked then we brought the Christmas decorations in the house

Tracey – that’s great that they didn’t cancel your benefits! Sure helps

Heather – I can’t believe Edie is 10 years old, either. Gosh, I remember when she was born. Makes me feel old

Rosemarie – I agree that it can’t hurt to meet this guy. Nothing says you have to make it permanent. What can you lose?

I’ve learned so much from this group, too. Gotten many good ideas

barbie – you have no idea how many people (including Jess) have cats that they want us to adopt. We just tell them that this isn’t the time, we’ll let Loki live his life in comfort. When he passes, we will get another cat(s). But until then – no.

Annie – I love cheesecake, Vince doesn’t. So whenever we go out to eat, that’s what I have

No work tomorrow so the plan is to do Amy Dixon’s Breathless Body DVD.

Went for a walk around the neighborhood and then lectored at the church. Worked some on the jigsaw puzzle now will get ready for bed.

Night all.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,816 Member
    Options
    Heather - Happy Birthday to Edie! They grow so fast. Her coat looks adorable on her.
    We had put what we call weather stripping around the door and it helped but wasn’t enough. I’m so excited to have this one installed. My SIL was in school when I bought it so it’s been in his garage for two years. He promised me it would get installed this summer. He finished it about 4 hour before the official start of Fall here. 😂

Machka - great sleeping advice. Like you, I only don’t have electronics in the bedroom. We do have a tv in there, but only DH watches it. I read when I first go to bed, but am usually asleep within just a few pages.

Kylia - 100K property assessment increase! That’s crazy!
    We can’t really afford all of the expenses for our place, however some things just need to be done and there’s nothing we can do about it. Next is new tiles in the bathtub. We have a leak.
    I’m hoping when it comes to painting time, my wonderful daughter will come help me.

Rosemarie - I understand your hesitancy in meeting someone, if you are interested though you probably wouldn’t have to make decisions about moving for a time. Maybe the other party would prefer to leave their place.

Lisa - great idea for switching the counters around to be more usable for you. That looks great, I love that you’re able to get at your window now.

Ginny - I’m happy you tested negative today.

I have to do a summary for a group project today. I’m not really looking forward to doing it, but it will be good to have out of the way. Before I do that I need to tidy my kitchen from yesterday’s project.

Betsy - I like that you pop in with writing once in a while.

Lanette - I forget about the Celsius thing. It’s quite funny, driving - km/hour and temperatures are about the only two things I do in Metric. Everything else I do in Imperial. I have trouble calculating the changes if I need to. Thankfully, unlike what all the teachers warned, I do have a calculator with me all the time. I even have a computer now!

Barbie - DH and I had our first go at backing the camper in last month. I am so fortunate that he drove truck for years so was able to back it right in in one go. I just needed to tell him to stop so he didn’t go too far back.

Allie - he is growing fast.

Katla - I hope your feeder isn’t broken, I know how much you enjoy the hummingbirds.

I designed and cut a wedding card for a friend’s wedding next Saturday. I have to get it out together yet. Probably some evening this week, she is coming over in the morning so I can help her with her flowers. Tomorrow afternoon, another friend, my girls and I are going to see Barbie. I have seen it with Michaela but have wanted the girls to see it so we could discuss it.

I believe I have mentioned Linda, one of my second mom’s who passed in a car accident in 1996. Today would have been her birthday. Her daughter texted me to tell me she was thinking of me today. I hadn’t realized it was the 23rd. I don’t know where the days are going. I also don’t know where the years go.

I’m tired and I’m going to head to bed early. I have been staying up too late I think.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate my TV.
    Meditation: daily. 14/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash
    1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 205/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 15/23 a z(681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 37
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low. “Breathing in,I am relaxing. Breathing out, I am relaxed.”
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly. Sticky notes, here I come!
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you. Forgot to do this.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement. Doing that this morning.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories. This sounds like fun! I do have my pictures rotating on my TV as a screensaver but need to go through those.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still. AHHH Meditation
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you. This is hard, but I try!
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://caring-mindfulness.thinkific.com/courses/mindfulness

Mindfulness begins with paying attention on purpose.

I find I am not eating enough Potassium so found this. Dried apricots and bananas are on my grocery list! I can only eat 1/2 banana due to digestion reactions, but I think I can handle that. I know that the ‘mini’ bananas I have no trouble with so will look for those.

Serving size Potassium content % of the Daily Value (DV)
    Dried apricots 1/2 cup (190 grams) 1,100 mg 23%
    Cooked lentils 1 cup (198 grams). 731 mg 16%
    Cooked acorn squash 1 cup (205 grams) 644 mg 14%
    Cooked potato 1 medium (167 grams) 610 mg 13%
    Canned kidney beans 1 cup (260 grams) 607 mg 13%
    Orange juice 1 cup (236 mL) 496 mg 11%
    Banana 1 medium (115 grams) 422 mg 9%
    Sirloin beef steak 1 ounce (85 grams) 315 mg 7%
    Milk (1% fat) 1 cup (236 mL) 366 mg 8%
    Natural Greek yogurt 3/4 cup (214 grams) 240 mg 5%
    Tomato 1 medium (123 grams) 292 mg 6%
    Brewed coffee 1 cup (235 mL) 116 mg 2%

Try this today: Aim to have 2–3 potassium-rich foods each day. For example, a banana for breakfast, 1/2 cup (130 grams) of kidney beans at lunch, and white potatoes on your dinner plate.

Potassium is one of the electrolytes and along with sodium, it is an important one for cycling.

Everything you need to know about electrolytes
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153188

The electrolytes in human bodies include:
    sodium
    potassium
    calcium
    bicarbonate
    magnesium
    chloride
    phosphate

Important electrolytes, including sodium and potassium, are lost in sweat during exercise. A rapid loss of fluids, such as after a bout of diarrhea or vomiting, can also affect the concentration of electrolytes. In these types of situations, the balance of electrolytes in the body needs to be restored.

Electrolytes
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diagnostics/21790-electrolytes

One of the reasons I keep asking Heather about magnesium is this:

Magnesium (+)
    Magnesium helps your cells as they turn nutrients into energy. Your brain and muscles rely heavily on magnesium to do their job.
    Hypomagnesemia (not enough magnesium): Muscle weakness, twitching and loss of control, heart arrhythmias. This commonly happens in connection with calcium and potassium deficiencies.

And of course you've pointed out potassium as one needed for those of us with kidney issues.

Hypokalemia (not enough potassium): Muscle weakness and cramps, feeling unusually thirsty and needing to pee frequently, dizziness or passing out when standing up too quickly. At higher levels, muscle tissue begins to break down (a condition called rhabdomyolysis, which can severely damage your kidneys) and heart arrhythmias become a serious threat.

But back to the cycling ... one of the things handed out along the way on many organised bicycle rides is bananas.

I have also brought dried apricots on rides.

And one of the best sources of both potassium and sodium for a long bicycle ride is potato chips!! For the past almost 9 years, just about the only time I'll have potato chips is in the middle of a long bicycle ride. I'll also have potato chips if I've been very sick (vomiting and diarrhea) because I know my electrolytes are out of balance and a few potato chips are a quick and easy way to get them back in balance again. (Note - I'm not recommending potato chips on a regular basis.)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    Options
    Tracey - I accepted your friend request, should do the trick for both of us, and re-sent my message from earlier. :smiley:

So... after we deconstructed the bread station, we realized we didn't really need to go buy anything at all (thereby saving $400 to $700, in the end). The table we used to hold up the countertop for the bread station when we built it was the credenza Corey built for my office years ago, so we simply moved it to the opposite wall, and it now holds all the kitchen appliances, including the microwave and the Instant Pot. The first pic is from this morning, second pic is now. Took about three hours, all told.

Cleared tons of room in the kitchen proper, because we were able to use the microwave table to act as a small cabinet for the outside stuff by the back door on the left. Lots of things went in the trash (why DID I buy lard, anyway? :D ) and others to a donate bag or to the storage room in the back--Corey can't give up his meat grinder... :smiley: ) Took the 10-foot-long Formica countertop we used for the bread station back there too, and it's living on a storage room table with more stuff on top of it. We'll use it for a worktop in the shop at another point. Nothing goes to waste in the end.

The big thing for me was getting that window cleared, the rest was all just good things on top of that.
    qu2ou79lpccr.png
    Later, y'all,
    Love, Lisa

Looks great!!! :)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,373 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Your reorganisation is great. Windows half obscured always look sad, somehow.
    Entryways are really difficult to get right. Most people ignore the fact that we need places to put things that don't look a mess. So it all just piles up, especially if you do hard work outside. We need places to unload and put stuff, without cluttering surfaces. A simple cupboard, to conceal stuff, is a good idea, especially for men, who seem to shed bits of themselves when they come in. A box for keys, hats, coins etc. DH always wears a hat, and deposits it on the hall table, along with his wallet. I don't mind one hat, but not two, so I move the other one into his study. My previous husband shed piles of coins. :# I am currently debating how to contain DH'S pencils, pens, sharpener and eraser, that he keeps on the coffee table next to him. I hate it. I'm thinking of a long pen tray, but he won't use it if he doesn't like it. I hate visual clutter, but I don't like it completely bare either.

It must be because of Edie's birthday, but I woke up early this morning with the shortness of life running through my brain. I am nearly 74, and conscious of the fact that my properly active time is limited. I have worked hard at keeping healthy and fit, and hope to remain so as long as possible, but time doesn't wait for anyone. I know I want to live as well as I can, and as much as I can. I am doing things, having new experiences, stretching myself, but I know there are limited years ahead . DH is nearly 78. Today I will dye my roots and paint a picture! :p
    We often think there is time, and we put things off.
    Are we living the life we want? Right now? If not, what are we waiting for? What small step can we take TODAY to get there?

For me, the answer is a big YES. I intend to keep it that way. Writing, painting, exercise, loving, lots of loving, stretching and experiencing new things. Enjoying my daily routine and environment. Taking small pleasures in mindfulness. All the senses. And the bittersweet knowledge that it won't go on for ever....... I enjoy that too.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx