WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,557 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Tracey - Sent you a friend request, and a message directly after with a T-shirt suggestion that wasn't appropriate for this thread. :smiley: Pretty sure the message won't go through, because we're not "friends," here yet, but if you accept the friend request, I can resend it. Love the door! We need to look at all of ours before the cold weather gets here, too. Projects always seem to expand before they're done.

Speaking of projects -
    This morning, Corey and I are supposed to go up to Home Depot in town and pick up a couple base cabinets. Four feet of the ten-foot bread station that we put together has basically become the place to put things for the back yard, like gloves and baskets and rubber boots and other things so we can pick veggies, weed the garden, mow, etc., and that kind of dirt and grime going in and out doesn't work for me for food preparation.

So, we're finally going to make that space work the way it should. Hard to tell by looking at this picture, but the usable space is actually 15 feet long by 9 feet wide (4.57mx2.75m).
    rbz8g4gyxnac.png

The other thing is I really want the big window completely open and accessible again. We can't even open the windows right now because it's covered up. It's got a wide sill, nearly big enough to be a window seat. When you look at the picture, the cedar chest at right will go under the window, and the small fridge will go under the counter edge at the front of the picture. Still thinking about the little ice machine, haven't decided yet.

Anyway, the overall notion is that we're going to buy two 24-inch wide base cabinets with doors and drawers (the two things we're not good at building!). Then we'll cut four feet off the countertop we put on the bread station, and pivot it around to become what it already is - storage and a flat surface for things as we go in and out of the back door. Then we'll move the other six feet of bread station across to the opposite side, where the fridge and chest are now, and it will still be plenty of work surface with space under it for bread supplies.

We may eventually put six feet of base cabinets under that piece of countertop too, but not yet. They're expensive! So, that's the plan, anyway. Corey's on his second cup of coffee, so I'm going to go in and start clearing that area out, get stuff out of the way. Hopefully, I can get to my resistance work later. We'll see.

Rosemarie - Good to see your post, glad you're feeling better. Zero advice from me on meeting men after being widowed, but pleased to see you're thinking about yourself. You were Paul's main caregiver for a long time, and deserve time and space to find out who you are now.

Happy Saturday, ladies,
    Love from Lisa in soon-to-be-sunny Arkansas

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,373 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie - Just because you like a man doesn't mean you have to marry them and move house. Many older people these days keep their own living spaces and enjoy the occasional companionship. <3 That sounds great to me. :D

Lisa - Great that you are streamlining your kitchen. What fun!

I chucked out another couple of kids books and a dress. Got to wash it before I give it to the charity shop. It's nice, but no longer my style.
    Then I decided to tackle the under sink cupboard in the utility room. Threw out loads of stuff, including cleaning products I no longer use, old teatowels I kept 'just in case', and other junk. It now looks fabulous and I know what I've got! So happy.
    I've decided to try out the laundry sheets instead of my usual powder. Better for recycling etc. We need non- bio, sensitive skin, so I've ordered that. The powder is messy. I'm going to clean that area now and then hoover under the sofa cushions.

DH is out at the park to see the grandchildren, especially Edie. Apparently she loves the jacket and it fits!!!! I'm not quite trusting my thigh, but it is making progress with the massage.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,557 Member
    Options
    Taking a break from clearing so I don't overdo, and ran across this. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/sep/23/eat-beans-and-scratch-your-own-back-expert-advice-on-how-to-age-better-inside-and-out . Lots of general stuff, quite interesting. Best quote: "Zoom into moments of joy and zoom out in more challenging situations." I do tend to lose the big picture when under stress.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,816 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @LisaInArkansas - I made a mistake and hit decline on the friend request. Can you send again please?
    I sent one to you as well.

Tracey
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    Options
    I took it pretty easy today.

Slept about 12 hours last night ... but was still a bit tired during the day.
    Laundry - put away clothes, washed clothes, hung clothes to dry.
    A little bit of weeding while walking Rhody outside.
    Working on an event and route map for my cycling club.
    Colouring.

The lights are dim.
    My computer screen has switched to night mode (more yellow than blue - blue light late at night is apparently not very good)
    I've got light jazz on the stereo. A beautiful version of "As Time Goes By" is playing right now.
    I have drunk most of my chamomile blend tea.

And I am about to adjourn to the bedroom to get comfy and read a bit.

Machka in Oz
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate my TV.
    Meditation: daily. 14/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash
    1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 205/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 15/23 a z(681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 37
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low. “Breathing in,I am relaxing. Breathing out, I am relaxed.”
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly. Sticky notes, here I come!
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you. Forgot to do this.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement. Doing that this morning.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories. This sounds like fun! I do have my pictures rotating on my TV as a screensaver but need to go through those.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still. AHHH Meditation
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you. This is hard, but I try!
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&amp;target=https://caring-mindfulness.thinkific.com/courses/mindfulness

Mindfulness begins with paying attention on purpose.

I find I am not eating enough Potassium so found this. Dried apricots and bananas are on my grocery list! I can only eat 1/2 banana due to digestion reactions, but I think I can handle that. I know that the ‘mini’ bananas I have no trouble with so will look for those.

Serving size Potassium content % of the Daily Value (DV)
    Dried apricots 1/2 cup (190 grams) 1,100 mg 23%
    Cooked lentils 1 cup (198 grams). 731 mg 16%
    Cooked acorn squash 1 cup (205 grams) 644 mg 14%
    Cooked potato 1 medium (167 grams) 610 mg 13%
    Canned kidney beans 1 cup (260 grams) 607 mg 13%
    Orange juice 1 cup (236 mL) 496 mg 11%
    Banana 1 medium (115 grams) 422 mg 9%
    Sirloin beef steak 1 ounce (85 grams) 315 mg 7%
    Milk (1% fat) 1 cup (236 mL) 366 mg 8%
    Natural Greek yogurt 3/4 cup (214 grams) 240 mg 5%
    Tomato 1 medium (123 grams) 292 mg 6%
    Brewed coffee 1 cup (235 mL) 116 mg 2%

Try this today: Aim to have 2–3 potassium-rich foods each day. For example, a banana for breakfast, 1/2 cup (130 grams) of kidney beans at lunch, and white potatoes on your dinner plate.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,435 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Rosemarie - funny, I was pondering this "getting back into dating" thing before I read your post this morning. I thought about all I'd accomplished in the past year and I wondered what my life would look a year from now. I had a chance to go to a retirement party for a former co-worker yesterday evening. A lot of us retirees were going to be there, many I knew and liked. I turned it down. Don't like big crowds. For a second I thought - what if someone I really connected with was there and I missed an opportunity? But that passed quickly. If it's meant to be, it will be and I'll run into that person elsewhere. It's still not a priority. DH's finer qualities are still taking up a lot room in my head. :p

Besides, I had my nose stuck in the Mrs. Pollifax books. Great series by Dorothy Gilman.

I recall our Rori saying that after her husband died, gentlemen would show an interest and she'd kindly put them off with the phrase "too soon." I think that's perfect, and true. Rori - did I remember this right?

Betsy - I just read your post. I know I'll be looking forward to getting back in the social world eventually. Master Gardeners are having free training classes on October 14th, I've pencilled it in. It will be nice to see some old faces. It's a start. And I agree, we are all walking the same path. And walking with all of you makes it easier. <3

Annie - so glad to hear your mom is able to walk. Is she being moved to rehab for a couple weeks?

Tracey - I gasped when I saw your weather - temps in the teens and 20's. Already! Then I realized that was celsius. :D

Septic tanks and grease- I wipe out every cooking pan and dish that had any oil or grease in it with paper towels before I wash it. And I've learned that using Dawn or even Palmolive dishsoap does a lot better job of keeping the garbage disposal (that I don't use but sludge does build up) odor free. For a long time I used products that were more environmentally friendly but they didn't help keep the pipes clean and my kitchen smelled like mildew. Same with the laundry. Some folks even use a squirt of Dawn in the laundry tub in addition to regular laundry soap to get the clothes a little cleaner - plus it cleans the washer. I don't have an HE washer so can get away with a lot more. ;)

Antibiotics/Microbiome/Allergies/Food Intolerances Rabbit Hole:
    I got a book from the library a few weeks ago - "Gut Feelings" by Alessio Fasano. It's due back at the library on Tuesday and I finally thumbed through it yesterday. He mentions a study that indicates children raised on farm with a diversity of microbiome in their homes have a much lesser risk of developing asthma and atopic diseases (like hay fever), and that antibiotic exposure early in life increases the risk of developing allergies. This a pretty new finding.

I was a farm kid immersed in as much diversity with the garden and farm animals as one can imagine. So why, in my later years, did I then develop fairly severe environmental allergies and some food intolerances?

Perhaps antibiotic use is the missing piece of the puzzle. I started taking tetracycline in the late 1990's for rosacea. I took it for years. And it was after that the allergies started. Hmmmmm.

If that's the case, then will beefing up my microbiome help dampen allergies? I need to go back through all of the articles and websites I've bookmarked about the microbiome. What a perfect time to be seeing Dr. Matt, I am anxious to get his take on it.

No sign of any raccoon, coyote or other varmint this morning. With all the bunnies still hopping around in my yard, I don't think it could be a coyote.

Will probably get rain here within the next half hour so need to head outside.

Have a lovely day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Betsy-I understand what you wrote completely! I have discovered a new richness in my life. There are times I need to withdraw-but I have given myself permission.

Rita-I have a banana for breakfast and also add in apricots a few days a week.

Beautiful day out. Went for a 70 minute walk (just under 3 miles). Slower pace than normal but was wonderful to be outside. Other than slow pace no problems-breathing good!

Finishing lunch then doing the house stuff.

Ginny in Ohio
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,039 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Machka - - If I do eat in the morning, it's like I've turned a switch on, and I'll clean out the house, eating anything that's not moving and maybe the occasional thing that is. Holding off means I'll have more control throughout the day.
    This is me. I thought I was just really strange.

Tracey in Edmonton

I am the same way with my eating- if I eat breakfast, I am starving soon after and want to eat all day. If I wait until lunch time(easy if I stay busy, not so easy if I am not doing anything) I am not even hungry then some days.
    Things that should be filling, don't seem to be for me, like oatmeal.

Up early baking cookies for the church ladies luncheon in 2 hrs. I should have baked them last night but was too tired. The theme this time is "back to school" so we are supposed to bring things that would be in a school lunch like sandwiches, chips, cookies, etc.
    I found a recipe to try using carrots and zucchini- had some grated from making bread at mom's. This one is exactly what I was thinking of making so great to find a real recipe- has the zucchini, carrots, oats, walnuts, coconut and raisins. Supposed to use cranberries but I have tons of walnuts. 90% of what is in the cookies I got free the last time I helped at the food program with mom.
    https://www.momontimeout.com/zucchini-carrot-oatmeal-cookies-recipe/

After I get back home, dh and I are planning on washing the momma cat again- her skin is so gross-it is good for a few weeks after her bath but then needs one again.
    Need to get the dishes done and the sink cleared out before I go so it is ready for her. She doesn't seem to mind too much. I will need to remember to wear rubber gloves- I have a big blister on my palm that is wide open and don't want that stuff or the medicated shampoo in it.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    [

I recall our Rori saying that after her husband died, gentlemen would show an interest and she'd kindly put them off with the phrase "too soon." I think that's perfect, and true. Rori - did I remember this right?

Have a lovely day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
    In Dec. it will be three years since my dad passed away and mom has no interested in finding someone new. In her heart she is still married to dad(married 65yrs, since she was 14). The guy who lives in his motor home at the back of her property and pays rent for it, not like the room mate, has made passes at her a few times and she puts him in his place each time. He tried it with me and he got put in his place and he actually apologized for it when I was up there this last time.(now we know why his daughter in law doesn't want him on their property.
    Some people need to find someone new quickly and others never do. It is all up the the individual person

Debbie