WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Worked and then home to prepare dinner to be microwaved. Ceramics tonight. We’re still waiting for them to pick up the old grill so I may take a walk in the meantime.

Heather – I’m feeling the same way you are. The older I get, the more I want to donate/give away things. Unfortunately, Vince hasn’t gotten there. What kind of ball and roller did you use on your thigh? I would have thought a foam roller would be good, but a ball?????

Barbara – does that dentist at least use numbing gel and novacaine? Now I usually don’t take novacaine for a filling or a crown. But when I had the root canal, I’m not totally stupid and took the novacaine. I would for a tooth extraction, too. I like Dawn for greasy food, too. Other dish detergents say that they have a degreaser in them but I haven’t found one that’s as good as Dawn.

Allie – I hope you feel better fast

I want to use the teleporter, too, to go see someone who uses the Bulletproof MCT. Looks interesting, but I really don’t want to buy a whole lot until I know that I like it. I’m going to look at the health food store when we get to FL. That’s where I had a sample of the Spirutein and found that I liked it. Now I buy a larger container. Not big on coffee, tho but I bet you can use the Bulletproof stuff in something else (tea maybe?)

Well, they picked up the old grill today. They told us yesterday that it would be picked up between 8 and 12. They got here at 1:30. But at least it’s gone.

Debbie – 75cents a pound for chicken! Wow!

Took a walk around the neighborhood earlier. Went to ceramics tonight. Working on a toucan. Hope it comes out OK

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    Going to sleep at 10
    Pip- awesome job girlfriend!!!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Yup me still awake at 12:30 am

Sheesh
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,378 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    gfzkk5it2wv9.jpg
    Michele - This is DH'S set that he bought from Amazon. I watched a YouTube video where the guy used a ball. I was very sceptical, but it definitely seems to be helping. I also use both rollers. Amazon have massage balls. They are rubber, but firm.

Slept for 9 hours last night. I did take a Nytol. Feeling good this morning.

Barbie - I asked a woman who was obviously getting out at the next stop, five minutes away, but people started jumping up all over. Firstly, she was getting off soon. Secondly, it was a clearly labelled priority seat, and thirdly, I had paid extra for a first class ticket and the majority of passengers had not. There are no ticket checks on the train. I was annoyed. Luckily, it all thinned out after the next station. I was travelling at peak commuter time. My own choice.
    In Brighton and Hove people on the buses are very cognisant of the Priority Seating, always vacating them if someone who looks as if they need them come aboard. I probably don't look as if I need one, but on that occasion, I did.

Will defrost the freezer today. Writing first.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,241 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Regarding the whole thing about intermittent fasting, I had to go find the research on it because I'm that girl. The most recent piece from the Harvard School for Public Health is clear that studies show that it's no better or worse than any other kind of structured eating program. However, if you look, you can find tons of anecdotal, or personal stories about success with it.

My personal opinion is that anything that causes you to be conscious about what food is going in your mouth is a good thing. If that structure is intermittent fasting, and it works for you, then that's what works for you.

How I'm dealing with it right now:
    There are so many possible ways to do intermittent fasting that it becomes utterly confusing, so I ended up shaking my head and walking away from all the differing rules about when and what. Please note, I am not trying to lose weight, I'm just trying to build reasonably structured days that get my system regular. TMI, sorry, but regular for me just means pooping once or twice a day, not 12 to 25 times a day due to Crohn's. The point is also to help me sleep well, again so my system can continue healing.

Rearranging my exercise and eating schedule seems to be helping, but it's only been a week of exercising, and then a week of exercising and intermittent fasting, so please, take all this with a big, honking grain of salt.

riazfqfhaavu.gif
    On eating, my schedule right now is 16 hours without food, from 8 p.m. to 12 noon the next day. Then lunch about noon and dinner at 5 or 6 p.m. No snacking in between and no snacking after 8 p.m. I've found that, if I eat bread for lunch, I have terrible gas at night. Tortillas and crackers don't seem to bother me. So in other words, this is also helping me sort out what I can and what I shouldn't eat. Not for calories, but for my own health and comfort.

My husband was apparently right when he noted that grazing, indulging in the small meals I was eating every few hours, was not helping me to get regular. I am, as of the last few days, going to the potty in the mornings only. Still more frequently in the morning than how things were before I got ill, but my body is much less battered without it happening all day long.

zg6l85rckz7s.gif
    My exercise schedule for the week also seems to be working well--Mon/Wed/Fri cardio work on the rower and the elliptical, Tue/Thu/Sat resistance work with resistance bands, small free weights and body exercise such as super pliés and crunches, and then Sunday is a rest day.

I also do a small set of yoga stretches for flexibility and balance every exercise day, and am starting to do them both before and after the exercise, to warm my muscles up and then to give them time to cool down. I LOVE cardio work, I always have, but doing it every day breaks down my knees and hips very rapidly. By adding the resistance days in between, I'm keeping the daily exercise habit up without hurting myself. Hopefully. I'll let you know. 🙃

I don't know if this will help anyone, if it does, more power to you! I'm losing weight, slowly, just because the eating window is restricting my calorie intake to about 500 per each of the two meals. It's not intentional, and after I get back down to the bottom of my maintenance range (145-150) I will be adding calories to get back to maintain my weight. Right now, I'm just trying to keep my protein over 65 grams a day and figure out what hurts me and what doesn't.
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Right, IF isn't in itself better or worse than any other kind of structured eating program when it comes to weight loss. It just narrows the eating window, which may help reduce the amount consumed.

The John Hopkins article I posted listed a number of other benefits.

For me, I started eating in an IF manner in my very late teens or early twenties. Or possibly earlier! I had a chuckle at Lanette's comment below about naming quite a normal way of eating. :smiley: My mother was quite strict about eating. We did have breakfast before going to school. I dropped that once I was on my own at 18. And snacking stopped about 8 pm with a piece of fruit. So right up till I was 18, I would go at least 12 hours without food.

Once I was on my own, I stopped eating breakfast, but as long as I was in college, university, etc. I would snack until about 11 pm. I'm a night owl so I would be up late (1 am, 2 am, 3 am or later) working on homework. So I might stop eating at 11 pm, go to bed at 2 am, up again at 7 am, and nothing to eat till about noon. The late snack helped fuel my brain for the homework.

Now, of course, I'm not in university (just one small course), and I'm not staying up late studying, so as I've mentioned before, I stop eat about 8 pm and start again at 11:30 am.

Benefits for me ...
    - I digest things very slowly. If I eat right before bed, I'm tortured by heartburn all night, to the point of bringing up mouthfuls of burning stomach acid at times. When I stop eating several hours before bed, food can digest and my stomach can go to sleep happily.
    - The thought of food in the morning makes me feel nauseated. So not eating in the morning is very comfortable.
    - If I do eat in the morning, it's like I've turned a switch on, and I'll clean out the house, eating anything that's not moving and maybe the occasional thing that is. Holding off means I'll have more control throughout the day.

It's just a really natural way of eating for me.

I'm so happy your eating plan is showing benefits and working well for you.

Looks like some of the guidelines for those of us who are older (over 70 is the age I've been seeing, and I'm in that category) using IF are quite a bit different than the young folks. For example, 12 hours is considered just fine and we still reap many benefits. I'm naturally at 12 to 14 hours before real hunger sets in and I'm doing well, so that's what I'm going with. Funny how it's now called "Intermittent Fasting" to go 12 hours without eating but that's exactly what my parents, grandparents and their ancestors did as adults. Back then it was simply "no snacking after supper." :D

Dr. Jason Fung, who is considered by many to be the IF guru, utilizes fasting for insulin control, and isn't concerned as much about total calories. He developed these ideas as a result of working with patients who had nephritis and Type 2 diabetes. In his view, fat consumed during fasting doesn't trigger insulin so bulletproof coffee, for some folks, is OK. That would be black coffee with butter or MCT oil or coconut oil I guess, which curbs hunger? I'm no expert and don't know a lot about it but that's what I recall. He has written books on Fasting and has YouTube presentations.

Yep, we are all different and need to find what works for us, be it IF or whatever plan we use, and tweak it til it works. I think it depends too what our goals are - losing weight? getting control over Type 2 diabetes? getting other health benefits? on how we approach it.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Bulletproof coffee has been around for quite a few years now ... since 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Asprey

I would lose weight if I drank that!! Especially if I drank it in the morning. It would be coming out both ends!! <<shudder>>

Strong black coffee for me, thanks. :)
    No butter or oils or milk or cream or sugar or honey or anything to contaminate it.

I had a roundtable workshop yesterday morning (9 am - 1 pm), and they did not serve coffee!!!!!!!
    At 10:30 they let us out for 20 minutes to find our own coffee. Made a bee-line for the nearest coffee shop and ordered their largest long black with a double shot ... of coffee.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

My mom is stable and we are beginning to hear the discharge word. It seems to make a big difference in the crazy insurance coverage if she stays until Friday, so I am hoping for that. She would go directly to the rehabilitation facility, where there will be more help with setting up the house for when she eventually gets home.

It's still unknown how bad her knee is, and what is realistic for recovery. And that determines the home setup. So I'm waiting for an evaluation by the rehab place. But I've also been looking at hospital beds on Amazon.

Thank you so much for all your help and caring inquiries. It helps a lot to have you all in my pocket.

Meanwhile I got my blood work results from my doctor. My cholesterol is 280 with LDL of 196, so I am at high risk for a heart attack. I will be starting a statin maybe tomorrow. So I am feeling quite discouraged by that. Although the statin reduces inflammation so that may make exercise a little less achy. I also have borderline kidney numbers. It all makes me feel old. And a bit resentful; the last thing I want is more diet restrictions.

I guess I should recheck my protein numbers. Although I have been eating at the hospital so my diet is disturbed.

Anyway, I get the feeling I need to get ahead on my errands because when mom comes home, I will be a full time nurse. Dad is no help, he can barely feed himself.

Anyway, again I appreciate all the love and care I get from you all.

Annie in Delaware

Do try to get in touch with community services and a carer's group before you spend money or decide you'll be a full time nurse. There may be some other solutions out there.

Residential care (aka nursing homes) or a home care package:
    Like these: https://dhss.delaware.gov/DSAAPD/home_communitybased_services.html
    https://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dsaapd/residential_care.html

Carer's organisations
    https://dhss.delaware.gov/dsaapd/caregive.html
    https://dhss.delaware.gov/dsaapd/caregivesg.html

My kidney numbers are just over the border into early CKD. I wasn't eating much protein anyway, but now I'm definitely not making any effort to eat protein. It's not particularly good for the kidneys.

The good thing is that the diets for heart and kidneys is basically the same thing they suggest as a healthy diet for everyone. :)

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/kidney-disease/heart-disease

A healthy diet can help protect you from heart disease and kidney disease. Keep your heart and kidneys healthy by eating plenty of the following foods:

fruits and vegetables
    whole-grain breads and cereals
    low-fat milk and milk products such as yogurt and cheese
    lean meats or meat substitutes such as tofu
    fish
    unsaturated fats such as olive oil or corn oil
    low-sodium foods

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Accidentally started organising the home office this evening. Definitely not the plan but when I started digging through stuff to try to find something, and triggered a noisy avalanche, I figured a more systematic approach to my digging would be better. I found what I was looking for and did some organising at the same time!

I also disturbed a lot of dust and the allergies flared up a bit.

Hopefully I will sleep them off now.

M in Oz

that is how it happens often, especially on my desk. That is how the spice rack idea came about too- trying to find what I wanted and couldn't.

side note- Did you go in for your six month(now 9 month) check up? Waiting to hear you get the all clear again. Hard to believe in 3 months it will be a year since we both had our surgeries.

Not yet.

I just received a notification that I need to make an appointment. My doctor was away for a while, and I think she's away all October too.

Yes, it has been a while!

How is yours doing? I wish mine would flatten down a little bit more.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Here is the monthly list I use for you to copy if you’d like. Thank you Machka for posting the calendar. I always forget to post it in a format that works on here.

2023 Self-Care September 2023

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential.
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small.
    I'm spending quite a bit of time relaxing this weekend. Self-care.
    And what do I do well? I don't know ... the usual household things like the laundry I've done this weekend, working on my drystream, cycling, colouring.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly.
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it.
    I'm not usually overly critical of myself but I will question myself, like "What are you doing?"
    And today, I went for a long-ish walk at lunch then did some colouring at home after work.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes.
    And most of the time, mistakes can be fixed. :)
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time.
    All good except for the "go to bed on time" thing.
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’..
    Getting better at that. I'm working my way through emails and unsubscribing!
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed.
    I ask ... but from my experience help is a rare occurrence. Occasionally, however, I'm pleasantly surprised.
    One thing I've discovered is that it helps if I am very specific about the help I need.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect.
    It's all about priorities.

A little story: When I have been in university and other programs getting degrees, diplomas and certifications, I discovered something. It was OK not to do all the assignments. I would look over the assignment collection for the course, and focus my attention on the one(s) worth the most marks. If the one worth 5% didn't get done, oh well.
    One teacher was horrified with that approach.
    I had been really sick for about three or four weeks and was getting done what I could. I handed in an assignment worth 20% and got a decent mark on it like 80% or something. Then along came a quiz worth 10% and I had not studied at all for it ... too much to do on the big assignment and just too sick. I got 40% and when he went through it with me (not pleased that I had failed), I told him it was OK. I got 40%. I was happy with that. Actually I was thrilled I got that high, given the complete lack of studying!
    He couldn't understand it.
    I explained that for 30% of the total mark, I was sitting at 20/30 with the assignment and quiz. I was still comfortably passing and had more of the class to go where I could potentially get better marks. I had sacrificed the quiz in order to do well on the assignment.
    He didn't like that approach one bit as he imagined his students would pour every effort into every assignment.
    But I didn't need to be perfect.

10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok.
    I usually take it out on the stairs. Something difficult at work ... and I'm out the door climbing stairs.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy.
    Almost every day. :) Usually colouring. :)
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost.
    Almost every day. :)
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    I am.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    Up and down those stairs!!
    Walking at lunch
    Walking with Rhody
    Gardening
    Reading
    Colouring
    Listening to music
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    Soft kitty
    Warm kitty
    Little ball of fur
    Happy kitty
    Sleepy kitty
    Purr purr purr.

I sing that to Rhody and he seems to really like it - stretches, curls up, closes his eyes, purrs.

But one day, I caught myself singing it out loud to myself at work while I was working on some difficult code!! And someone heard me!!

16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    My memories in Facebook

17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    That would be nice, but ...

This might happen in October.

18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    Someone today told me I was very good at organising myself and did a great job of presenting a project plan. :)

19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    Happily, I don't feel much.

20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    A few happy memories this year. :)
    sipco2dqdncq.png
    73l6ku4u7ty2.png
    i8n3xqzs5jid.png

21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    I don't feel much. It's good.

22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    Tonight. When I close my eyes and fall asleep.
    25. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    26. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    27. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    28. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    29. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    30. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    31. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    32. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Going to get up get dressed and go feed Homer
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    vceq5uu2def1.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,746 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,552 Member
    Options
    Barbara AHMOD - I'm sorry your mouth is hurty! Hope extraction under sedation is much less traumatic. My 8-year-old granddaughter just had to have a baby tooth pulled on Tuesday. It developed a painful, unfillable cavity, and the nerve was bleeding so it had to come out. Kels texted me while she was sitting with Haley, who was sedated with nitrogen oxide, so they could pull the tooth. My big strong, tough soldier girl nearly fainted, and came awfully close to yurping. She was still yurpy when she called me from the truck on the way home! You are not alone at all.

Barbie - <3<3 s with you on your drive back to the Humane Association with Bodhi. My wishes added to Barbara's that some lovely woman who lives alone will find her companion in Bodhi.

Rebecca - I used food as an emotional coping tool most of my life, so I totally get that part. I think we all do at some point. It's why I usually try to treat it like fuel. Trying to bridge that gap between food as fuel and food as a big hug of wonderfulness is hard. Heather is one of the few that I've seen walk that line very successfully.

Regarding the whole thing about intermittent fasting, I had to go find the research on it because I'm that girl. The most recent piece from the Harvard School for Public Health is clear that studies show that it's no better or worse than any other kind of structured eating program. However, if you look, you can find tons of anecdotal, or personal stories about success with it.

My personal opinion is that anything that causes you to be conscious about what food is going in your mouth is a good thing. If that structure is intermittent fasting, and it works for you, then that's what works for you.

How I'm dealing with it right now:
    There are so many possible ways to do intermittent fasting that it becomes utterly confusing, so I ended up shaking my head and walking away from all the differing rules about when and what. Please note, I am not trying to lose weight, I'm just trying to build reasonably structured days that get my system regular. TMI, sorry, but regular for me just means pooping once or twice a day, not 12 to 25 times a day due to Crohn's. The point is also to help me sleep well, again so my system can continue healing.

Rearranging my exercise and eating schedule seems to be helping, but it's only been a week of exercising, and then a week of exercising and intermittent fasting, so please, take all this with a big, honking grain of salt.

riazfqfhaavu.gif
    On eating, my schedule right now is 16 hours without food, from 8 p.m. to 12 noon the next day. Then lunch about noon and dinner at 5 or 6 p.m. No snacking in between and no snacking after 8 p.m. I've found that, if I eat bread for lunch, I have terrible gas at night. Tortillas and crackers don't seem to bother me. So in other words, this is also helping me sort out what I can and what I shouldn't eat. Not for calories, but for my own health and comfort.

My husband was apparently right when he noted that grazing, indulging in the small meals I was eating every few hours, was not helping me to get regular. I am, as of the last few days, going to the potty in the mornings only. Still more frequently in the morning than how things were before I got ill, but my body is much less battered without it happening all day long.

zg6l85rckz7s.gif
    My exercise schedule for the week also seems to be working well--Mon/Wed/Fri cardio work on the rower and the elliptical, Tue/Thu/Sat resistance work with resistance bands, small free weights and body exercise such as super pliés and crunches, and then Sunday is a rest day.

I also do a small set of yoga stretches for flexibility and balance every exercise day, and am starting to do them both before and after the exercise, to warm my muscles up and then to give them time to cool down. I LOVE cardio work, I always have, but doing it every day breaks down my knees and hips very rapidly. By adding the resistance days in between, I'm keeping the daily exercise habit up without hurting myself. Hopefully. I'll let you know. 🙃

I don't know if this will help anyone, if it does, more power to you! I'm losing weight, slowly, just because the eating window is restricting my calorie intake to about 500 per each of the two meals. It's not intentional, and after I get back down to the bottom of my maintenance range (145-150) I will be adding calories to get back to maintain my weight. Right now, I'm just trying to keep my protein over 65 grams a day and figure out what hurts me and what doesn't.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday! <3
    Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Ahem. It's Thursday! 👀😎🙃🥰 Please note, I had to go check to make sure... :smiley: Bahahahah!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

It is a fine line, no question. I remember being a part of a TOPS group in California, and there was a couple who had lost a combined total of 200 lbs. While I noticed their energy, I also noticed no deviation from their scheduled foods each and every day. When we attended TOPs conventions, meal times were such a struggle for both of them. If they weren't eating their normal fare they were fishes out of water. It was sad to me, no joy in food whatsoever. I promised myself I would never get to that point of food disassociation. I do have things I eat that still make me happy, and there is a balance to that.👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,552 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: 5 of 12 skeleton violas in the ground.
    Rebecca you HAVE had an emortional year and you do deserve to feel better. Good luck!
    Lanette “spent the first few decades of our marriage struggling to conform to expectations that weren't really me.” My struggle was conforming to what I thought were Joe’s expectations, but was afraid to ask. “So glad to be at the age now where "like it or lump it" has risen to the top of my personality traits. :p” Amen sister to this and to “Joe is a keeper”. Amen, amen. Alas no luck finding a nearby functional medicine doctor for PCP. The only one is an ob/gyn and doesn’t do primary care. Maybe I’ll have to re-think my “female only” requirement.
    Beth likewise hoping for good new neighbors for you.
    Lisa :love: your empiric approach to IF and activity. Hope things continue to improve. Look forward to hearing about pottery class.
    Annie check with your local Elks, they may loan hospital beds that would be suitable.
    Sorry to hear about the blood work. I’m right there with you feeling resentful of aging… until I remember the alternative.s14082.gif
    Rita thanks for the Balance app recommendation for mindfulness, will check it out. Neither can I commit to an hour a day at this point. Please consider calling the doc today about the new med having the opposite effect. Why wait?
    Ginny you sure do have some pretty neat kids!
    Heather glad the trip was a success!
    Barbie my BFF’s mother taught us about playing the old lady card when we got snowed in at Yosemite. Those handsome young men dug out our car ;)
    Debbie you are a super shopper!
    Pip you’ll wow ‘em at the reunion. Have fun!
    Michele yes my dentist uses both numbing gel and novacaine. My problem with extractions is not just the pain, but the grinding pulling ugh. When I was 17 a dentist pulled a “baby” tooth that had impacted the permanent one behind it. I’ll never forget how it felt with his one hand bracing my forehead while the other used pliers to twist and grasp. It was awful. Tried to work afterwards, but fainted. Librarian called Mama at work to come get me as I was “bleeding on her floor.” Ugh.
    Allie hope you can get some good sleep soon. Your body needs it to heal.
    09/21: Move: ZERO sets PT, dogs to powerline, play with plants, one load laundry, Jeopardy walking. Steps:7194
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=5 CI<CO net=552
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, AF, ptT. ptS, reconcile Visa, called to get interest waived, reconciled checking account. Wt:132.5

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    September: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live mindfully with people, dogs, open heart and mind before mouth. Never miss an opportunity to keep the mouth shut!

I am all about giving myself grace about it all. My life is simpler, and its such a relief to not be worrying so much about family members. Picking and choosing what I wish to concentrate on these days.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa