WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Annie - Thinking about you, girl. I know that you didn't need those results for yourself on top of your mom's current issues and your dad's mental state. Deep breaths! Don't be hard on yourself, though. My ex lived an incredibly healthy life, no drinking, no smoking, kept his weight always in the reasonable zones, and his cholesterol was sky high. It was a genetic thing. The statin brought it down sharply for him. Hope things work out for your mama to head straight for the rehab facility, and that everything works out with her insurance, etc.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,439 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Have a wonderful Wednesday! <3
    Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Ahem. It's Thursday! 👀😎🙃🥰 Please note, I had to go check to make sure... :smiley: Bahahahah!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa - That was a test. I obviously failed it! Hope the rest of my day goes better. :p

I'm so happy your eating plan is showing benefits and working well for you.

Looks like some of the guidelines for those of us who are older (over 70 is the age I've been seeing, and I'm in that category) using IF are quite a bit different than the young folks. For example, 12 hours is considered just fine and we still reap many benefits. I'm naturally at 12 to 14 hours before real hunger sets in and I'm doing well, so that's what I'm going with. Funny how it's now called "Intermittent Fasting" to go 12 hours without eating but that's exactly what my parents, grandparents and their ancestors did as adults. Back then it was simply "no snacking after supper." :D

Dr. Jason Fung, who is considered by many to be the IF guru, utilizes fasting for insulin control, and isn't concerned as much about total calories. He developed these ideas as a result of working with patients who had nephritis and Type 2 diabetes. In his view, fat consumed during fasting doesn't trigger insulin so bulletproof coffee, for some folks, is OK. That would be black coffee with butter or MCT oil or coconut oil I guess, which curbs hunger? I'm no expert and don't know a lot about it but that's what I recall. He has written books on Fasting and has YouTube presentations.

Yep, we are all different and need to find what works for us, be it IF or whatever plan we use, and tweak it til it works. I think it depends too what our goals are - losing weight? getting control over Type 2 diabetes? getting other health benefits? on how we approach it.

Allie - good job getting that walk in the other day, by the way. <3 I keep forgetting to tell you how nice it turned out when you pushed to stop watching Miles and got him into daycare. Nice for you and for him both. ;)

Rita - Sorry to hear about your BP, hope the new meds do the job. And crossing fingers there's a way for you to get the cost of the asthma meds down. You mentioned your goal was to find an independent living arrangement eventually and move out of the trailer. Would you like to stay in the Roswell area?

Barbara - I'm hoping that you can get in to the Functional Medicine doc. The charge for my initial visit was sent in to the insurance, and the office gal said "they cover it" but I have my doubts since he's a Naturopath and not an MD or DO. Hope I'm wrong.... I have some medical budget "banked" in case I need to pony up. I think Dr. Matt gave me sound advice, and I'm doing a lot better than I was so the cost is worth it.

Annie - I just read your post. :( What Lisa said! You have so much on your plate right now. Sending many hugs to you.

Beth - here's hoping you get good new neighbors. I had to smile at the photo of the chickens "supervising" the siding job. Yesterday when mine were out for a while, I decided to pull off some dandelion blossoms from plants blooming in the back yard. Gladys and Thelma had their beaks right in the middle of it. Not sure what they thought they'd find, but they followed me around and their little heads were right beside my busy hands. I had to be careful I didn't walk on them. For friendly, helpful hens, I highly recommend the Rainbow breed. :)

A cool rainy spell is coming starting on Saturday, so I have 2 days to pick tomatoes (rain will likely make them split), put another tarp over the finished wood pile - nice leftover boards from when the deck was built several years ago. And readjust the tarps over the girl's run.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,980 Member
    Options
    I started the mindfulness course to and am up to the first lesson (not done yet). I’m not sure I will be able to put aside a whole hour because of my living situation, but I’ll work on it a little at a time. I already meditate but will enjoy seeing another take on it than what I’ve been doing.

Thanks for the link!

2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate rain after a very dry summer.
    Meditation: daily. 14/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 205/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 15/23 a z(681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 37
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low. “Breathing in,I am relaxing. Breathing out, I am relaxed.”
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly. Sticky notes, here I come!
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you. Forgot to do this.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement. Doing that this morning.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories. This sounds like fun! I do have my pictures rotating on my TV as a screensaver but need to go through those.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&amp;target=https://caring-mindfulness.thinkific.com/courses/mindfulness
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Meanwhile I got my blood work results from my doctor. My cholesterol is 280 with LDL of 196, so I am at high risk for a heart attack. I will be starting a statin maybe tomorrow. So I am feeling quite discouraged by that. Although the statin reduces inflammation so that may make exercise a little less achy. I also have borderline kidney numbers. It all makes me feel old. And a bit resentful; the last thing I want is more diet restrictions.

I guess I should recheck my protein numbers. Although I have been eating at the hospital so my diet is disturbed.

Anyway, again I appreciate all the love and care I get from you all.

Annie in Delaware

Annie - another thought on your cholesterol. I could be way off base, but seems like the propensity for high cholesterol is somewhat heritable. Doesn't always mean terrible news. I'd be curious to know what the numbers were for either your mom or dad when they were your age.

And look, here they are, having lived a long and pretty healthy life until recently from what I recall. ;)

So I'm hoping once the situation with your mom settles down, and you can get back to your healthful eating routine, things will be better for you. <3

Lanette B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Slept horrible last night..tossed and turned all night
    And have a bit of a rocky stomach.
    So going to lay low.but do have the windows open and am enjoying the sunny weather and its only 65 outside. Stunning
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,003 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, Good for you for asking for the priority seat. My active 80 year old dog walking friend says that sometimes she just has to "play the old lady card" when she needs some help.

<3 Barbie
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Leaving for my pottery class in about an hour...

Stats for resistance day:
    • Yoga - 8 minutes, 8 positions
    • Bands - Tension-1 ~ Exercises - 9 (5 arms, 4 legs) ~ 2 sets, 12 reps each
    • Crunches - 3 sets, 12 reps
    • Super Pliés - 6 positions, 1 set, 12 reps. The link shows something almost like it - After I sink into the plié and rise, I keep my heels up and sink back into the plié, then set my heels down, and then straighten, so it's a six-beat movement. Do that 12 times, then with five other positions, so a total of 72 pliés. Helps balance, knees and flexibility, and if done reasonably fast to music, becomes cardio... :smiley:
    • Free Wts - Curls, chest press, shoulder press - 6 lbs, 2 sets, 12 reps each

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Annie - Thinking about you, girl. I know that you didn't need those results for yourself on top of your mom's current issues and your dad's mental state. Deep breaths! Don't be hard on yourself, though. My ex lived an incredibly healthy life, no drinking, no smoking, kept his weight always in the reasonable zones, and his cholesterol was sky high. It was a genetic thing. The statin brought it down sharply for him. Hope things work out for your mama to head straight for the rehab facility, and that everything works out with her insurance, etc.

My cholesterol has always been high, even way back when I was in my 20's and weighed just 95lbs.
    It is heredity on dad's side. Of the 9 kids that have passed away, 7 of them died from heart attacks(two before they were 40), dad had two heart attacks but survived them. Only one sibling died from something else- she had cancer from smoking but I am sure she had heart problems too. Both his parents had problems too.
    I am not on any meds yet but close to it.
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Lannette Bullet Proof or Butter Coffee is really good! Especially if you blend or whip it. Makes it taste like an expensive cafe coffee! I use butter when I run out of creamer adding MCT oil (I use Bullet Proof brand which was what my doc recommended) Grass fed butter, and stevia ( I need the sweet). This would be an entire breakfast if I also add my collagen protein powder to it (also Bullet Proof brand and is only one that doesn’t affect my ‘digestion’). Give it a try and decide for yourself. Adding cinnamon or pumpkin Pie spice would make it seasonal. I can use cinnamon (must put that on grocery list!) but not anything with ginger in it. Upsets my colitis (tmi). But try it with just butter and your favorite sweetener first just to see it is actually pretty good!

Edited to add that so far I’ve taken the new BP med for 3 days and all 3 days my BP went back up instead of down. Yesterday it was 168/100! Not good. I will give it until Monday then call the doc and tell them.

Love to all,
    RVRita in Roswell, NM

Rita - I'm going to hop in the teleporter one of these days and zip down for a cup of your wonderful coffee. :p Great ideas for making them seasonal.

So far I'm good with just plain ole black coffee, dark roast. But making it more into a "coffee drink" with your recipe sounds like a nice change.

Crossing fingers they can determine what's up with your BP. A girlfriend of mine discovered that ibuprofen made hers shoot up super high. For me, the supplement Berberine makes mine drop, but I'm already taking Amlodipine so stopped the Berberine - I'm never sure what else might be affected with supplements like this.

Hang in there. <3

Lanette B)

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Up early when dh was getting ready to take his mom's dog to the groomer. He came back, picked me up and we went to one store then picked the dog up. He wanted to go to FoodMaxx to pick up chicken legs that were on sale for $1.29 a pound for the stray cats. Got there and found a bunch of packs of thighs that were marked down-huge ones, .75cents a pound!!! Got three large packs. One in the pressure cooker now, second one will go in when these are done, third is in the freezer. 10 min. in the pressure cooker then 10 min in the air fryer after I season them with a few different McCormick spices-like to try different ones. The ones for the cats will just get pressure cooked, not air fried.
    We picked the dog up at the groomers and dh dropped me and the dog off at our house so I could walk him and he could go pick up Clorox for his mom- I walked 45 min with the dog and got home before dh did. I am sure he was chatting with someone in the store(the one he works at). Doesn't take 45 min to get a couple things and get gas for my car when the store is 5 min from here). Hung out in the yard with the dog-didn't want to bring him inside with all the cats.
    Dh took the dog home and I am catching up here. Have an hour before I leave.
    Picking Ezie up today so walking the wetlands for an hour before getting her. Weather is really nice, slight breeze here so should be a bit more there. Just over 8,000 steps so far.
    Dinner will be chicken, of course, yard long green beans that I picked at mom's along with cucumbers and tomatoes from her place. I am sure dh will want rice but he is finally starting to think a little about what he is eating- His A1C came back higher than before so they are giving him 3 months to get his numbers better before adding new meds.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,746 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    Heather- looks like a fabulous time.. glad you were able to go.
    Its sad but I have to play the old lady card when i travel but it sure does help.
    Well Tom is laving in the morning for a couple weeks for Florida..has to get work done on the place down there..
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Awesome logging streak Pip!