WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,539 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Sounds an awful lot like the minor little spending bender that Corey and I went on after we paid off the house... They sure are fun while they last, but very much outside our normal, too. Included a new laptop for him, as well. But now, like you, I'm pushing that mortgage payment into savings, and that makes me even happier. I will admit, though, I just bought a set of stoneware. It was Walmart's Mainstay brand, so not expensive. They're to replace my 40-year-old Corelle ware, which is all chipped around the edges.

Regarding high school reunions: Graduated high school in East Texas with a class of 24 people. I've never gone to a reunion. Was either living in other countries or other states when they occurred, which was reason enough. The last reunion I knew about was the 17th, and was being held on that odd year because one of the popular girls was moving out of state and wanted to see everyone. 3fxxyse3oejm.gif

That probably gives you a pretty good idea of how things went in high school, which was the other reason not to go. If there is a 50th reunion, it will be in 2027, but I'm reasonably sure there won't be. Could be wrong, she might want to see everyone again, who knows. 👀😎

Rosemarie - We'd love to see pictures of your friendly scarecrows!

Heather - Walking away from Facebook was one of the happier things I've done in recent years. Kelsey has given me her password so I can access it to see pics of the kids, and so she doesn't have to text them to me separately, but I no longer have an account at all and I like it that way.

Got in 30 minutes on the elliptical (bumped the tension level from two up to three half the time), increased my time from 20 to 22 minutes on the rower, and got in eight minutes of yoga stretching, so 50 minutes today. When I hit the 30-minute mark on the rowing machine, I'll start increasing the tension there, too. Just staying incremental, trying to do a little better than the last time.

Got two loads of laundry to fold and vacuuming to do, better get to it!

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR, sunny and hot again - but only 87 degrees. That's a whole lot better than 107!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 13min 19sec, 127elev, 79ahr, 97mhr, 6.44mi= 601c
    Strava app= 789c
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,396 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Rita I did message sister in law right away. The post was there and repeated numerous times. Others put hack,Malware on the post. I wish there was an easy way to flag the post. I did clear browser and made sure my Malware protection was on. I also changed my password. I am not noticing any problems since this came out. Still have not heard from sister in law. I did as I said put a message to my friends about this hack. When someone requests to be my friends I look at how many friends they have. If they have 100's I rarely friend them because I think they are more vulnerable to hacking. My sister in law in quite involved in the community and that perhaps made her more vulnerable to this hack.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,540 Member
    Options
    RVRita: Thank you for the sunflowers from New Mexico!

PIPCD: I enjoyed the pictures from the reunion!

Tracey: I hope you get your money back okay and without a problem.

Machka: Wow! That is an excellent amount of leave to be able to take.

Katla: Glad your able to see the hummingbirds again!

Flea: I hope the oncology check up went well!

Michele: Yes you have been participating in this blog a while if you can remember when Heather's Edie was born!

Rebecca: My husband didn't like to cook...once in a while in a slow cooker he would do something.
    I had romantic notions of cooking together and cutting veggies together.....never happened!

Barbie: I agree that you certainly know how to adopt a dog. It is a matter of personal timing.

Ginny: Great going on the 3 mile walk!

Debbie: Hope washing the momma cat went well...65 years is a long marriage. I would probably not be interested in dating after a 65 year relationship.

Annie: Glad your Mom is doing well in Rehab.

Allie: I love the pop up rocket for Miles!

Heather: I love the dress you ordered and the gluten free cake your son made.

Betsy: Social interaction is so important. I am now part of a group called Single Servings that does an activity every other month. The group is mostly women but I am enjoying it.

Lanette: Interesting about antibiotic use and then the microbiome. There is so much we don't understand.

Lisa: I love how the window looks in the room you re-designed.

I go a little tired today but am doing okay now. I went to ACE and purchased some wheat straw to make
    my own Fall decoration. I have 4 friendly scarecrows and will purchase 3 pumpkins. I did this last year and it came out pretty well.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

I have never cut veggies with my husband, nor will I ever.🙃. Veggies to him are canned peas, beans and corn, frozen corn on the cob and iceburg lettuce. That's it. Where as I am onions, mushroons, zucchini, sweet potatoes, bok choy, asparagus, tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, and loads others!👍🏼💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Rebecca - Sounds an awful lot like the minor little spending bender that Corey and I went on after we paid off the house... They sure are fun while they last, but very much outside our normal, too. Included a new laptop for him, as well. But now, like you, I'm pushing that mortgage payment into savings, and that makes me even happier. I will admit, though, I just bought a set of stoneware. It was Walmart's Mainstay brand, so not expensive. They're to replace my 40-year-old Corelle ware, which is all chipped around the edges.

Regarding high school reunions: Graduated high school in East Texas with a class of 24 people. I've never gone to a reunion. Was either living in other countries or other states when they occurred, which was reason enough. The last reunion I knew about was the 17th, and was being held on that odd year because one of the popular girls was moving out of state and wanted to see everyone. 3fxxyse3oejm.gif

That probably gives you a pretty good idea of how things went in high school, which was the other reason not to go. If there is a 50th reunion, it will be in 2027, but I'm reasonably sure there won't be. Could be wrong, she might want to see everyone again, who knows. 👀😎

Rosemarie - We'd love to see pictures of your friendly scarecrows!

Heather - Walking away from Facebook was one of the happier things I've done in recent years. Kelsey has given me her password so I can access it to see pics of the kids, and so she doesn't have to text them to me separately, but I no longer have an account at all and I like it that way.

Got in 30 minutes on the elliptical (bumped the tension level from two up to three half the time), increased my time from 20 to 22 minutes on the rower, and got in eight minutes of yoga stretching, so 50 minutes today. When I hit the 30-minute mark on the rowing machine, I'll start increasing the tension there, too. Just staying incremental, trying to do a little better than the last time.

Got two loads of laundry to fold and vacuuming to do, better get to it!

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR, sunny and hot again - but only 87 degrees. That's a whole lot better than 107!

Awe, nice! We have never dipped our toes into the world of home ownership. Maybe when eldest son retires, then we can look for a permanent home. I think eldest son and us are kind of joined at the hip, both appreciating what the other brings to the table.
    Rebecca
    Whiney
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    So happy to hear, Rebecca. Hubby and I are seeing Sting in concert tomorrow night. I'll say hi for you. 😆

Visit went well. It's possible that the new medication is not being kind to my kidneys, which makes me sad because I'm actually finding it more tolerable than Ibrance was. We're going to do a scan in October rather than December. It's hard not to be paranoid about that. The longer I live, the closer I get to a spread, so I think she's being overly cautious to catch it when it breaks free. I wish to believe the longer I am progression free the more likely I might die of something else first, but that's probably not realistic.

I discovered a little mass on the mastectomy side, but since it is on the scar line, she thinks it's likely scar tissue. I'll keep an eye on it.

Tomorrow will be a long day. I go through the prison gate at 7 am, have an hour break at lunch, then leave at about 3:30. Head home from there, then hubby and I will head up to Portland to see Sting. I saw him once in Virginia 25 years ago, then hubby and I saw him in February 2020 before COVID shut everything down in his musical, "The Last Ship." I enjoyed it, although the play had mixed reviews.

Back to work.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

Oh oh sssoooo jealous but happy for you! Yes tell him hi from me. If you can sneak backstage and ask him when we can get together at his Tuscan villa for a little musical one on one, that'd be awesome! Heehee!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
    , I saw Sting in Japan when he was on tour there. Took an MWR bus (Moral, Welfare, and Recreation), and screamed along with all the Japanese girls.😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Machka - Do you have some plans for the extra leave?
    I feel the same as you, my grandmothers both lived into their 90’s and my maternal grandmother was still quite capable until 93. My paternal had dementia caused by mini strokes for years.

Terri - They managed to get a couple hundred dollars. It’s because of the tap on the card they were able to do anything.

Ginny - there is talk of 70 being the age of retirement here as well. I will probably be working until 70.

Heather - Beautiful dress.

Margaret - I have been getting posts like that as well about friends having passed away. People are sick. I haven’t clicked on any. The people that were named I would have received a phone call.

Lisa - my eldest daughter has been using the dryer balls since she was married, gulp, 12 years ago. She said she finds they work just as well and her clothes are never full of static. She does not have pets so I’m not sure how they would work with that.
    I personally like Pyrex the best. I am trying Gain right now and am not a fan. As a matter of fact the smell I was smelling when I called the fire department was actually the bottle of Gain. I buy the big ones with pour spouts, so you take the little cap off to make it pour faster. That backfired on me. When this jug is gone I’ll switch back to Pyrex. One of the huge ones lasts us about a year.

Debbie - no he only has a laptop. My new laptop would run a 3D printer, but I am not wanting to lose it for my own.
    This is the first time ever I have one just for me and I’m being selfish with it.

Rebecca - I think we need to treat ourselves once in a while. It made me happy reading your post.

Flea - I hope you enjoy the show.

Rebecca - I am as bad as your husband when it comes to vegetables.

I’m watching the Kids Baking Championship - Halloween edition. There is a boy on here making a s’more’s cake, I am not the biggest sweet eater but this looks delicious!
    I may need to try this. Well… get one of my daughters to try this, they are both much better bakers than I.

I have to learn 30 ASL words by Friday for school. The instructor will then randomly give us 25 words from our list to sign in class on camera. I have chosen my words and gone over them twice so far.

I went and picked up a new debit card today. I now need to change the number on my banking app. Also, in Canada we register for government services online using our debit card as an authorization. I just got it registered last week because of my name being incorrect so now I’ll need to again. 🥴

I had a nice long Team meeting after class today with one of the women that is closest to me in age. She’s very nice. She’s also worked in offices for years and had a boss similar to mine. We are going to meet in person soon.

I have a secret from everyone in my family that I’m not allowed to say, but I’ll say it here. Our youngest and her husband have decided to take a little trip to NB. Those two never do anything like this, they have been saving and being responsible their whole relationship (they have been together 14 years, married 4). They paid for their own wedding, have both gone back to school at different times without student loans, working their way through. They didn’t even take the honeymoon they wanted so they could save for a down payment on a house. For the last two years they have spent 10’s of thousands on fertility. I am so incredibly happy they are doing this. They deserve to have a little break together and most of our family has not met our wonderful son in law. It’s a good thing.

Tracey in Edmonton

We do don't we? Splurging is a treat now and then. Dear husband did the math in the store when we bought the dishware, some special liquor we like, and the 600 count bedding! He's like the bedding was $75 woman! Lol. I liked it and got it. Case closed husband!
    Awe, congrats on your very financially responsible youngest and husband for treating themselves to a trip.👍🏼💖🤗. Where is NB?
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,891 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    Rita I did message sister in law right away. The post was there and repeated numerous times. Others put hack,Malware on the post. I wish there was an easy way to flag the post. I did clear browser and made sure my Malware protection was on. I also changed my password. I am not noticing any problems since this came out. Still have not heard from sister in law. I did as I said put a message to my friends about this hack. When someone requests to be my friends I look at how many friends they have. If they have 100's I rarely friend them because I think they are more vulnerable to hacking. My sister in law in quite involved in the community and that perhaps made her more vulnerable to this hack.

It's not so much the number of friends they have as the frequency with which they participate in those stupid quizzes on FB.

Quizzes like:
    Can you name a food without the letter E?
    What kind of woodland creature are you?
    Which Star Wars character are you?
    Etc.

M in Oz